TotW 6/24/2019 - 6/30/2019: GENESIS - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

• The long album version of Tx3 is one of the very highlights of the trio era and maybe doesn't quite get the attention it deserves. It's in the same league as Mama, hypnotic music with great vocals.

I agree 100%. Always liked that tune. The 12inch version is also quite nice. Who would have thought they'd do a 12inch of such a long track?

• I agree 100%. Always liked that tune. The 12inch version is also quite nice. Who would have thought they'd do a 12inch of such a long track?

John Potoker had done the 12 inch remixes of the hit singles from No Jacket Required and Phil had been happy enough with the results to incoporate some of them in his stage performances of the songs. I wish they'd asked "Tokes" to come back and do some remixes of the We Can't Dance tunes as I think he's a major talent.

• I've gotta comment on this one because it's probably my favorite Genesis track that you can (still) actually hear on the radio. And also (still) nothing sounds quite like it! And just out of curiosity, does anyone know what this song is about? It sounds like it's about heroin or something (I'm comin down like a monkey???)

Dressed too fine and smelling of wine!

• And just out of curiosity, does anyone know what this song is about? It sounds like it's about heroin or something (I'm comin down like a monkey???)

Yes it's about dependency, the person in the song is at the point of desperation to satisfy their addiction - most likely heroin.

A favourite lyric of theirs for me, and I'm a big fan of the song generally. I think it's a pity they were apparently so down on the mid-section (hence quickly abandoning it after the IT tour), I think it has a really nice dark, slightly turbulent dream-like quality.

Abandon all reason

• Yes it's about dependency, the person in the song is at the point of desperation to satisfy their addiction - most likely heroin.

A favourite lyric of theirs for me, and I'm a big fan of the song generally. I think it's a pity they were apparently so down on the mid-section (hence quickly abandoning it after the IT tour), I think it has a really nice dark, slightly turbulent dream-like quality.

My interpretation of the song is basically the same, but with one twist. To me the character is torn between feeding his addiction and trying to kick the habit. That second point (kicking the habit) is addressed in the line "Try to shake it loose, cut it free, let it go, just get it away from me."

• My interpretation of the song is basically the same, but with one twist. To me the character is torn between feeding his addiction and trying to kick the habit. That second point (kicking the habit) is addressed in the line "Try to shake it loose, cut it free, let it go, just get it away from me."

Yes that's probably it. I suppose that's at the root of many addicts' experiences - I know this is bad for me, I must shake it.... but I can't resist it...

Abandon all reason