Songs whose lyrics contain other songs' titles

• I think there was a thread like this on another, long-ago message board; but I'd like to start a new one.

What Genesis songs can you think of that (intentionally or not) happen to have other songs' titles in their lyrics?

Here's what I know of off the top:

The Magic Of Time: Silent Sun

Supper's Ready: Like It Or Not

Firth Of Fifth: Shepherd

The Lamia: Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats

A Trick Of The Tail: That's All

Alone Tonight: Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight: In Too Deep

Such are the times we live in, that talking about what's really going on will make you sound crazy.

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

• Dancing with the Moonlit Knight: Paperlate

And, of course, that's probably the only case where a later Genesis song's title actually came from the earlier song's lyrics!

Such are the times we live in, that talking about what's really going on will make you sound crazy.

• The Light Dies Down On Broadway - The Light

I've been wondering if this obscure reference was an inside joke: 'The Light' used to be a 10min.+ song of which only few passages survived in Lilywhite Lilith and bits of The Colony of Slippermen, so we can say indeed that The Light has died down on Broadway.

• Like It Or Not (and probably several others) - Anyway

Stagnation - The (ice-cold) Knife

Personally, I don't think that one counts!

Hearts On Fire - It

I was wondering if anyone else would think of "It." Too many songs to count for that one, I'm sure!

'The Light' used to be a 10min.+ song

Just to nitpick a little -- the one recorded performance of "The Light" that survives lasts approximately 8:50.

• Yes I agree "the ice-cold knife" is stretching the idea too far. But I love the notion of selecting one specific song to illustrate the inclusion of 'it', I have to say that gave me a chuckle.

Abandon all reason

• Gosh - you've found it! I'd been searching so long in vain for a song containing 'anyway' 😕

Which reminds me -- I forgot about this one:

Frustration - Anyway

That is, of course, where the title (and the music) for "Anyway" came from!

• I just came across this one:

Shepherd - Window

Given that, a "title reference" chain of 4 songs can be built!

Firth of Fifth -> Shepherd -> Window -> Horizons

• There are many references to songs (not Genesis) throughout TLLDOB. To the point where I've periodically considered compiling a list, before real life takes over again. Perhaps one has already been made?

Three quick examples (IIRC are many more, but haven't refreshed my memory for a while):

"There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes" - Broadway Melody of 1974

"And as the song and dance begins, the children play at home
    with needles; needles and pins." - Broadway Melody of 1974

'

'cos it's only knock and knowall, but I like it.' - It

I'm sure there are many others I've noticed over years of listening, as well as others I've not picked up on.

Anyone got any more?

Genesis 1976 - 1982 CD/SACD/DVD box for sale. The blue one. First reasonable offer accepted - DM me.

• Sorry, this isn't songs or lyrics but I heard of a music festival in PA called Some Kind Of Jam. Couldn't resist mentioning it.

And Lilywhite Lilith features a band (The Darkness) and an award (Golden Globes).

Anyway, carry on.

Abandon all reason