Things you've only recently noticed

• I often like to think about what was in the heads of the guys in Genesis when they wrote lyrics / song titles / album titles. Some interesting connections I've only recently noticed (probably obvious to most already!):

1. SEBTP ends in a cinema show... and TLLDOB begins in a movie palace. Surely deliberate?

2. The title "A Trick of the Tail" is probably (?) a jokey reference back to the "now the lizard's shedding its tail" lyric from Watcher of the Skies (i.e. Peter has shed his tail and evolved... but there's a trick left in the tail)

3. This one is more of a question I guess... That last part in the fade out of Los Endos where Phil sings, in tribute to Peter, "there's an angel standing in the sun... freed to get back home"... could it be that Peter was thinking of this (and Supper's Ready of course) when he sang about being taken home in Solsbury Hill - his song about leaving Genesis? Or had the band maybe already heard an early version of Solsbury Hill and were referencing that? Or is it just a coincidence...

• I absolutely can't see any of those being true at all! They're all pure coincidence.

You're following in the long-established tradition of dedicated fans of any number of acts imagining various kinds of connections in their work where none exist.

Abandon all reason

• In fact come to think of it, SEBTP doesn't even end in a cinema show but in a supermarket.

Re the vocal buried in the fade-out of Los Endos, I've just remembered one of them (Banks, I think, in a fan club mag back in about 1980) said they put that in as a jokey reference to the "Paul is dead" Beatles rumour, thinking it might inspire a similar funny rumour of some kind. I'm sure you're not alone in concocting a wacky theory about it, raelway siding!

Abandon all reason

• Well I have only recently realised that Squonk was not a Genesis creation but a re telling of a traditional American folk tale. I had never heard of Squonk before or after the song other than a couple of weeks ago when I came across it in this thing called the internet.

• Re the vocal buried in the fade-out of Los Endos, I've just remembered one of them (Banks, I think, in a fan club mag back in about 1980) said they put that in as a jokey reference to the "Paul is dead" Beatles rumour, thinking it might inspire a similar funny rumour of some kind.

I seem to recall hearing something similar about the unintelligible voices near the end of "It's Yourself."

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I seem to recall hearing something similar about the unintelligible voices near the end of "It's Yourself."

The backmasked vocal? I've often wondered what that 'says' as it clearly has the cadence of words rather than pure vocalising. There have been attempts to reverse the song but apparently even then it remains unintelligible!

Abandon all reason

• Just played Duke. Albert on the label runs backwards on the turntable.! Always notice something new when I play a Genesis record.

You could borrow my turntable, it will go backwards! It shouldn't, but it's a 1982 Dual CS505, and the circuitry that controls the start direction has failed, needs 4 new components. Till I get it sorted, I just start it spinning the right way before switching on!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• This probably fits better into a "things you still don't notice after all these years" thread, but where exactly is the reference to Blood on the Rooftops on the Seconds Out version of IKWIL?

Once I know I can legitimately post it in this thread!

• This probably fits better into a "things you still don't notice after all these years" thread, but where exactly is the reference to Blood on the Rooftops on the Seconds Out version of IKWIL?

Once I know I can legitimately post it in this thread!

I reckon about 06.30, very briefly, a tweaked version of part of the keyboard line immediately after each "chorus". I think it's shortly after the DWTMK snippet. Check it out and if I'm right, post away!

I was very down on SO in another thread and I remain less than lukewarm about it but having been reminded of that version of IKWIL, my word, Hackett does some lovely stuff in the segment we're talking about.

Abandon all reason

• I reckon about 06.30, very briefly, a tweaked version of part of the keyboard line immediately after each "chorus". I think it's shortly after the DWTMK snippet. Check it out and if I'm right, post away!

I was very down on SO in another thread and I remain less than lukewarm about it but having been reminded of that version of IKWIL, my word, Hackett does some lovely stuff in the segment we're talking about.

Same here, given that Genesis won a "Best Live Band" award from one of the music papersa t the time, SO would make you wonder why. I guess it's down to production and mixing, but it's just SO bland!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Same here, given that Genesis won a "Best Live Band" award from one of the music papersa t the time, SO would make you wonder why. I guess it's down to production and mixing, but it's just SO bland!

Yes, as I said elsewhere, it's produced to within an inch of its life. It's had all the immediacy sucked out of it. In whichever thread that was, Mr.Farmer mentioned Roxy Music's Viva live album which to me is what a live album should sound like, the very opposite of SO.

Abandon all reason

• I reckon about 06.30, very briefly, a tweaked version of part of the keyboard line immediately after each "chorus". I think it's shortly after the DWTMK snippet. Check it out and if I'm right, post away!

I'm really sorry, but I still can't hear it! Its so frustrating, I'm sure I will kick myself when I realise where it is!

• OK, listen to the keyboard and guitar from 6:29 to 6:39

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

and compare to 2:48 to 2:56 in the original recording

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

They also quote the line in the 2007 version 5:28-5:38

• Forensic work there. 👍

Abandon all reason

• brilliant. It’s so obvious now you’ve pointed it out! Thank you.

in other news, Blood on the Rooftops eh? What a track. Tony’s keyboards give me goosebumps every time.

• brilliant. It’s so obvious now you’ve pointed it out! Thank you.

in other news, Blood on the Rooftops eh? What a track. Tony’s keyboards give me goosebumps every time.

You're welcome. And all of Blood On the Rooftops gives me goosebumps - Steve's nylon stringed guitar, Tony's shimmering mellotron and haunting lead lines...

• Besides "Dancing With the Moonlit Knight" and "Blood on the Rooftops," the SO version of IKWIL also quotes "Stagnation" (which is pretty obvious) and "Visions of Angels" (which may be less obvious). It took me many listens to spot all of those. I always wondered if there was something else in there that I was missing, but I never spotted anything else! (And, yes, I know there's a quote of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" in there as well.)

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Besides "Dancing With the Moonlit Knight" and "Blood on the Rooftops," the SO version of IKWIL also quotes "Stagnation" (which is pretty obvious) and "Visions of Angels" (which may be less obvious). It took me many listens to spot all of those. I always wondered if there was something else in there that I was missing, but I never spotted anything else! (And, yes, I know there's a quote of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" in there as well.)

Where do the VoA and Don't Let Me snippets occur?

Abandon all reason