ANTHONY PHILLIPS - Strings of Light (2CD/DVD) - review online!

• I bought it and have been listening to it for a while now and I must say - I love it!

Still trying to find favorite tracks (not easy to remember them when listening via smartphone), butt it surely is an impressive body of work.

• My copy arrived. Look forward to giving it a listen.

To be honest, though, I have no use whatsoever for the "surround sound" disc. I got the set at a decent price for a double CD but I still feel like I had to pay for something extra that I don't need.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Thoughts after the first listen:

Throughout the first several tracks not much really grabbed me, and I felt rather disappointed. But then as the album progressed it started subtly getting better. I gradually got more and more glad that I'd bought it.

I'll have to get more acquainted with the individual tracks, but off the top I recall that "Winter Lights" brought to mind parts of TWELVE (in a good way), and "Mouse Trip" gave me a laugh.

I noticed that Ant made a point to mention that "Life Story" (the 10-minute closer) had no overdubs. That seemed odd, as the other tracks generally don't sound like they have overdubs (with the obvious exception of "Sunset Riverbank"). "Life Story" didn't sound like it had any either, until well into the second half.

Overall, this is a fine Ant album. Being a double, it's natural to compare it to FIELD DAY; but, really, I don't find much comparison between the two albums. One's not better than the other; they're just different.

PS: "Life Story" is incorrectly listed on Ant's site as "Life Road."

Update: Listened a second time (playing the "surround sound" disc for my wife on the DVD player, with just regular stereo speakers) and I like it better already (even the tracks at the beginning)!

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

Edited 2 times, last by DecomposingMan ().

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “Strings of Light - new album out in Oct 2019” to “Strings of Light - new album out in Oct 2019 - review online!”.
    • Official Post

Our detailed review about the new Anthony Phillips album Strings Of Light is now available online here:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…t-2CDDVD-review-s765.html

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “Strings of Light - new album out in Oct 2019 - review online!” to “ANTHONY PHILLIPS - Strings of Light (2CD/DVD) - review online!”.
  • I bought this - I simply was curious. And I must say I am quite impressed! I'm not really into this kind of music but you can hear Ant's dedication to his work in every note. I couldn't listen to this one in one go, but every now and then I put on a track from Strings Of Light :)

• I finally got round to watching the Cherry Red interviews and hearing Ant talk about the composing, playing and recording the album really brings the whole thing to life even more. Absolutely riveting!

In a world deluged with 'lightweight' new music, Strings Of Light is simply superb!