Artist's name OR title on cover

• On the old board I started a thread about album covers with no words on them. Here's something a little different.

What albums can you think of that have the artist's name or the album title on the cover, but not both? I'm thinking that neither of these is particularly common, but we'll see...

Artist's name but not title:

Michael McDonald - If That's What It Takes

Title but not artist's name:

The Beatles - Revolver

New Riders of the Purple Sage - Powerglide

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• After a little thought I realized I knew a whole bunch of them from one artist:

Artist's name but not title:

Chicago III

Chicago at Carnegie Hall

Chicago V

Live in Japan

Chicago VI

Chicago VII

Chicago VIII

Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits

Chicago X

Chicago XI

Chicago 13

Chicago XIV

Greatest Hits Volume II

(Official rule: It's OK if the artist's name is included in the title, as long as it's not the whole title!)

• Title but not artist's name:

Hotel California. When I bought my copy it had a sticker saying 'Eagles' placed on it.

Rubber Soul

There are also examples of an album cover which has NEITHER the title nor the artist's name:

Blonde On Blonde

Abbey Road

Led Zeppelin IV

Houses Of The Holy

• Title but not artist's name:

Hotel California. When I bought my copy it had a sticker saying 'Eagles' placed on it.

Rubber Soul

Good ones!

There are also examples of an album cover which has NEITHER the title nor the artist's name:

Well, as I said, that would be (and has been) a whole separate thread.

Yes there are loads of those but I'm having real trouble thinking of either name or title only ones.

Well, as I said, they don't seem to be too common!

• Dark Side of the Moon had no band name or title on the cover; for that matter, hardly any Floyd album had writing on the cover, including Wish You Were Here, Atom Heart Mother, Animals, etc.

Band On The Run did not have Wings' name on the cover.

• how about McCartney, Ram - just the title (? - I think).

Correct!

BTW, I'm noticing that (with the exception of the Chicago examples), artist names without titles on covers seem to be far less common than titles without artist names (which are already not too common).

• I'm noticing that (with the exception of the Chicago examples), artist names without titles on covers seem to be far less common than titles without artist names (which are already not too common).

I think you're right. That said, one I just thought of is the Arctic Monkeys first album, Whatever People Think etc etc, just the band name.

If I remember correctly Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols is officially the whole title of that album and occupies the whole cover, so I reckon it meets your criteria.

Abandon all reason

• Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet

(Just the name of the band in the midst of graffiti. I don't believe the album title is scrawled on the wall anywhere)

David Bowie - Heathen

(Just the album title but no artist name, though it's quite obvious from the image)

• If I remember correctly Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols is officially the whole title of that album and occupies the whole cover, so I reckon it meets your criteria.

Sure, that works. And I'm sure there are many other examples that would work that way. Some I can think of off the top:

Blood, Sweat & Tears 3

Fresh Cream

Live Cream

Live Cream Volume II

Led Zeppelin II

Led Zeppelin III

This Is The Moody Blues

Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet

(Just the name of the band in the midst of graffiti. I don't believe the album title is scrawled on the wall anywhere)

Sorry, the album title actually is there.

• From Genesis to Revelation: Ah, but of course!

Traffic (1968): No, that's one that has no words on the cover.

Bankstatement: Even though that's really a Tony Banks album, "Bankstatement" was technically supposed to be the name of the group/artist.

• Official Post

What about the 1983 album by our favourite band?

It just says Genesis on the cover, but is it called Genesis and have they left out the band name, or is it just the band's name? Same question for Abba (1975), Big Blue Ball (2008) ... and many other albums where the title is the band's name (or vice versa).

Enya's Watermark does not have the title on the cover, IIRC. Neither do Neneh Cherry's Raw Like Sushi and the original version of Stiltskin's She.

...cried a voice in the crowd.

• What about the 1983 album by our favourite band?

It just says Genesis on the cover, but is it called Genesis and have they left out the band name, or is it just the band's name? Same question for Abba (1975), Big Blue Ball (2008) ... and many other albums where the title is the band's name (or vice versa).

Enya's Watermark does not have the title on the cover, IIRC. Neither do Neneh Cherry's Raw Like Sushi and the original version of Stiltskin's She.

If you're going to include albums where the title is the band name, then:

Eagles

The Beatles (White Album)

Crosby, Stills & Nash

Elton John etc etc

• Examples that recently occurred to me of artist's name on cover but not title:

Kansas - Song for America

Kansas - Monolith