Artist's name OR title on cover

• Some versions of The Band's Music From Big Pink have no band name or album title on the front cover - the back cover has the album title.

Bob Dylan's Self Portrait has no artist or album title on the front cover - can't remember about the back.

U2's Achtung Baby has nothing on the front cover, but does have artist and album title on the back cover.

• U2's Achtung Baby has nothing on the front cover, but does have artist and album title on the back cover.

Don't their "Songs of..." albums similarly do that?

Also, I'm sure their No Line album had just the 'horizon' graphic but the band and title on a clear sticker.

Abandon all reason

• Many albums has no name of the album and the artist in the cover.

- True Blue of Madonna. The album has no title in the cover, only the face of Madonna.

- The Velvet Rope of Janet Jackson. Same thing to True Blue.

• Peter Gabriel

1, 2, 3, 4, or . Car, Scratch Melt, Security. Do they actually have official titles?

Yes, they're all officially called Peter Gabriel, though I think the US release of 4 might have officially been called Security. Those words are terms to help identify which album is being referred to. I tend to go with the numbers rather than the words.

It's like The White Album, I suppose.

Abandon all reason

• Yes, they're all officially called Peter Gabriel, though I think the US release of 4 might have officially been called Security. Those words are terms to help identify which album is being referred to. I tend to go with the numbers rather than the words.

It's like The White Album, I suppose.

Yes that's what I mean . No actual official title to identify them . I always thought the names were nicknames but was unsure if the numbers were simply not present as Led Zep 4 or if they had no title other than Peter Gabriel.

• I know this is an old thread, but I just came across another example of artist's name but no title on the cover: MR. FANTASY by Traffic.

I'm surprised I didn't think of it before, given that (1) Traffic is one of my favorite bands; and (2) their next album was mentioned earlier in the thread (though it doesn't actually fit the question I was asking).

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Let It Be doesn't have the band name on the front.

Nashville Skyline by Bob Dylan has neither title nor artist name. I can't believe I didn't think of this at the time.

Eye of the Zombie - John Fogerty has neither, but it was issued with stickers.

Up by PG.

Meddle by Pink Floyd

Porcupine Tree's Closure/Continuation only says P/T C/C and three of their other albums have neither artist nor title - Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and In Absentia

Rammstein's 7th album has neither title nor band name, and it officially doesn't have a title at all. I just refer to it as Untitled.

Teaser & the Firecat by Cat Stevens - no album name.

Brain Salad Surgery by ELP - no album name.

F&M by Lindemann - no album name.

The first Dire Straits album is another example of the title also being the artist, as is the self-titled Fleetwood Mac album.

I'm sure there are many others. I just had a look at my iTunes cover gallery to find those.

• I wasn't looking for cases where there's neither artist name nor album title on the front, as those are far more common than cases of one without the other.

Let It Be doesn't have the band name on the front.

Teaser & the Firecat by Cat Stevens - no album name.

Good ones!

F&M by Lindemann - no album name.

I looked this one up and the cover I found showed both artist name & album title.

Meddle by Pink Floyd

Depends on the release. LP copies I've seen had both artist name & album title.

Porcupine Tree's Closure/Continuation only says P/T C/C

Brain Salad Surgery by ELP - no album name.

Hmm... abbreviations only. These would be really special cases.

• Sorry about F&M - it was hard to see on my iTunes version.

I know you weren't looking for 'neither' but when I responded originally I included a couple of 'neithers' so I did it again!

• Just noticed that three Pink Floyd albums have the group name on the cover but no title:

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

A Saucerful of Secrets

Ummagumma