THE MUSICAL BOX - A Genesis Extravaganza 1970-77 - Tour 2018 and beyond

• We saw TMB tonight and were blown away. It was a great mix of songs superbly performed to a very appreciative audience. I’m biting my tongue resisting the temptation to talk about specific songs. Those guys are amazing. It was a fantastic evening.

The Keswick Theater crowd always gives TMB a great reception. You made a good choice coming up to see them here. ^^

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• The Keswick Theater crowd always gives TMB a great reception. You made a good choice coming up to see them here. ^^

Yep, so true. I’ve seen them there several times at The Keswick, as well as The Genesis Show tribute band, Hackett, and Turn it on Again (Martin Levac’s old tribute band). The crowd is always big and vocal.

• Yep, so true. I’ve seen them there several times at The Keswick, as well as The Genesis Show tribute band, Hackett, and Turn it on Again (Martin Levac’s old tribute band). The crowd is always big and vocal.

Yes - we have been at the all the same shows then. ^^ Well, we two and most of the rest of the crowd there - it's like a musical version of a high school reunion on Genesis-related concert nights. :thumbup:

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Let me preface my comments by saying that I have the ultimate respect for what The Musical Box does. There is no band like them, period. I actually view them more as a Broadway show (think Beatlemania) as opposed to a "tribute" band since they literally, down the nth degree, recreate certain Genesis tour shows (with the exception of the Extravaganza). However, after watching videos of this latest show, I'm beginning to wonder whether they're sort of reached their end? It's one thing to do a Lamb show, for example, when you're 30 years old. In that instance, you're actually fairly close to how old Genesis actually were at the time (they were 24-25 years old). However, TMB members must now be 50+, I would think, given that they started nearly 30 years ago. It looks a little strange, now, to see a heavier, older (50 year old) man traipsing around in a leather jacket on stage. We're all older (I'm almost 10 years older than them) so this isn't aimed at them from that perspective. I'm just wondering whether paying tribute to the music, without trying to recreate the world of a 23-25 year old, might not be better suited to their current reality? Another option, which would definitely be worth pursuing, is to get younger musicians to keep doing these faithful recreations. That certainly would fit with the spirit of Beatlemania which had several touring band members. Just some random thoughts.

• Let me preface my comments by saying that I have the ultimate respect for what The Musical Box does. There is no band like them, period. I actually view them more as a Broadway show (think Beatlemania) as opposed to a "tribute" band since they literally, down the nth degree, recreate certain Genesis tour shows (with the exception of the Extravaganza). However, after watching videos of this latest show, I'm beginning to wonder whether they're sort of reached their end? It's one thing to do a Lamb show, for example, when you're 30 years old. In that instance, you're actually fairly close to how old Genesis actually were at the time (they were 24-25 years old). However, TMB members must now be 50+, I would think, given that they started nearly 30 years ago. It looks a little strange, now, to see a heavier, older (50 year old) man traipsing around in a leather jacket on stage. We're all older (I'm almost 10 years older than them) so this isn't aimed at them from that perspective. I'm just wondering whether paying tribute to the music, without trying to recreate the world of a 23-25 year old, might not be better suited to their current reality? Another option, which would definitely be worth pursuing, is to get younger musicians to keep doing these faithful recreations. That certainly would fit with the spirit of Beatlemania which had several touring band members. Just some random thoughts.

No doubt physically the changes are becoming more obvious, though it appeared to me that maybe the lead singer had lost some weight since the previous time I saw them. Still, the Keswick was rocking at the show we attended Thanksgiving weekend. The audience was totally into it, including shouts of “We love you!” directed at the band between songs. And they are still consummate musicians. To be honest I’ve seen them so many times that I was thinking this last show might be my last one. Now I’m definitely all in on seeing them do The Lamb tour next year.