THE MUSICAL BOX - A Genesis Extravaganza 1970-77 - Tour 2018 and beyond

• Great review OneForTheVine. I have always wanted to see them live in concert but for one reason or another have never managed it.

That is about to change as I have got tickets to see them in Edinburgh Feb 2020 (10 1/2 months to wait) on their Genesis Extravaganza II tour

First, thank you for your kind words. Second, I'm glad you're going - you won't regret it.

I'm already looking forward to my next show; frankly, I'm very glad to have another opportunity to go see them this time around.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I totally agree with OneForTheVine; this is a fantastic show!

Being able to step out of the confines of performing an exact replica of a particular tour gave them the chance to breathe a little more life into the performances. As already mentioned getting to hear so many super rare songs was a real treat, and I felt the sincerity was very clear.

I felt this was show was what Genesis would have played in 1977 if (in some bizarro world) Peter Gabriel had never left the band.

• Thanks for your posts about the new show

I saw them many many times and thought i'd skip this tour. But maybe I should go ....

Well, obviously, I’d recommend it - I think WinstonWolf would probably agree.

It is quite a good show. As I said in my review on the previous page, I usually just see them once per tour; however, I was so impressed by this one that I had to see it a second time. I’m glad I’m getting the chance to.

• Yes, I really think this is a great show and well worth checking out. Especially if you've seen them before.

After the last couple of Selling England shows I thought they were starting to phone it in a bit. It's a great show, but there's no way you can keep playing that over and over again and it not get a bit stale.

By contrast, they were all really on fire at the show I saw. Also, not being constrained to mimic a particular show allowed all of them (lead singer especially) to play parts that would have otherwise simply been missing in a live context but having those extra bass/keyboard/percussion bits helped them reproduce the songs even more exactly than usual.

The musicianship and the showmanship is still there, it's just a little different this time.

• Anyone going to the Arlington, VA show? I havent bought tickets yet as i'm not sure i can go yet (family stuff). but if i go, i'd love to meet up with some fans. How does this kind of show work? Do people show up early to get good seats? If so, how early can you show up (or need to show up)? Where are the best seats in a typical venue? And is it mostly a "sit and listen" show? or a "stand and jam" show? Any other tidbits, i'd appreciate. and if anyone knows anything about the venue and any places to stay overnight near by, that would be helpful as well.

• Well, obviously, I’d recommend it - I think WinstonWolf would probably agree.

It is quite a good show. As I said in my review on the previous page, I usually just see them once per tour; however, I was so impressed by this one that I had to see it a second time. I’m glad I’m getting the chance to.

...and I just came back from that second show and I don't now regret it one bit.

Same setlist - same great performance! 8)

They have also announced a Part II to their Genesis extravaganza!

http://www.themusicalbox.net/

Another interesting mixture later this year and next!

• Yes, Part II - or 2.0 - will start this fall. They want to change the setlist and also vary the songs a bit while on tour. Can’t wait to see them again!

... make tomorrow today!

• Official Post

A new teaser for A Genesis Extravaganza Volume II (or "2.0", as it is called in Germany) for the shows in late 2019 and 2020 is now available in our YouTube Channel

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

Another teaser

Serge speaking - about what you can expect

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I saw them last week and I must say the setlist is really impressive. I don't want to spoil your surprise, but let's say that, especially in the second half of the show, they play a dream setlist. Too bad they experienced technical problems in the first half. But things got much much better in the second half, just in time for that dream setlist.

• Official Post

Four shows in BRAZIL this June were announced

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…shows-in-Brazil-n645.html

• Official Post

UPDATE

The remaining US / Canadian shows have been rescheduled for September-December 2021

See our tour dates page here

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…1978-tour-dates-s662.html

• We saw TMB tonight and were blown away. It was a great mix of songs superbly performed to a very appreciative audience. I’m biting my tongue resisting the temptation to talk about specific songs. Those guys are amazing. It was a fantastic evening.

• Official Post

We saw TMB tonight and were blown away. It was a great mix of songs superbly performed to a very appreciative audience. I’m biting my tongue resisting the temptation to talk about specific songs. Those guys are amazing. It was a fantastic evening.

do you recall the setlist? Did they change a couple of songs compared to earlier legs of the tour ?

• They did two shows last night (6:30 and 10:00). We saw the 6:30 show. They may have shortened the set due to having a second show. My best recollection of the setlist last night:

EEOM

DOAV

Entangled

ITQE/RA&B/Wot Gorilla

Ripples

Los Endos

Fountain of Samalcis

Stagnation

Can Utility

Firth of Fifth

Cinema Show/AOP

Encore: Supper’s Ready

• I saw that show (the extravaganza tour) back in 2019 in Montreal. They also played Down and Out, Looking for Someone and the Musical Box. It was a perfect setlist. The show lasted nearly three hours!!! Maybe it a special treat for their homeland fans!

• I was at the same show, and it was spectacular! You got the setlist right too. This show was as good as the first Extravaganza. For those who would like to know, they announced that in 2022 and continuing into 2023 they are doing "The Lamb" tour again. Of course I will be there - I've seen them do The Lamb show 2 or 3 times before, but it is always worth catching!