When did Genesis started to play encores at their concerts?

• I was wondering if Genesis always included an encore at the end of their shows or if they only did one when they got big. For those of you who know the answer, would you be kind enough to write a comment?

• No, it wasn't only once they got big. It's impossible to pinpoint exactly when they started playing encores, but they certainly were doing them as far back as March 1971, from that famously bootlegged show in Belgium where they encored with Going Out To Get You.

• Please correct if wrong, but my understanding is that there were a lot of shows on the SEBTP tour where Genesis did not play an encore. On a few occasions, they would play The Knife as an encore but typically Supper's Ready was the last song in the set.

• Please correct if wrong, but my understanding is that there were a lot of shows on the SEBTP tour where Genesis did not play an encore. On a few occasions, they would play The Knife as an encore but typically Supper's Ready was the last song in the set.

Yes, there's an interview from around that time where Mike said it was impossible for them to follow Supper's Ready. The Knife was played as an exception on that tour (presumably in response to an especially enthusiastic crowd).