A Trick Of The Tail

• Of course, the purist prog anoraks would have complained about this song they same way they complained about "Your Own Special Way" on the following album. Still, it's a very nice track.

I don't know if I fit into those categories but I would have complained. For years the only flaw I could find in that album, was that it seemed a bit short and for years I was unaware of the existence of It's yourself. When I found out, I obviously was thrilled and had great expectations, I believed they could have only produced brilliance during those sessions. When I finally heard it, I was heavily underwhelmed and trust me, I didn't want to be, I loved that album too much and couldn't get enough of the good thing. As it is though, I found it bland and uninteresting both musically and lyrically, heck, I think I even find YOSW more interesting which is saying a lot.

After all these years I'm happy it wasn't included and most of all, I'm happy they didn't touch Los Endos which is a classic or cut another song. I just think it's subpar even compared to the weakest songs on the album and IMO it makes perfect sense it didn't make the final cut.

• What?!

A 50-minute album a bit short?

Yes, I was being paradoxical. l iked it so much I hoped that would be more of it. I became aware afterwards, there were limitations with the vinyls but back then, as I boy, completely enthralled with that album, I simply wanted more. That album to me was perfection, no weak point, in time you evolve and start seeing some flaws of course. That's way I was so thrilled when I heard there was another song and that's why I wanted almost desperately to like it.

• I actually love It's Yourself. Especially the second part of the tune, quite trippy. I've sequenced it between Squonk and Mad Man Moon and it flows very nicely.

I suppose the only weak moment on the album is Robbery, Assault And Battery, which seemed a bit forced. Still, it worked very well in a 'live' context and has some great instrumental moments. The rest of the album is simply perfect as far as I'm concerned.

• Yes I've always liked IY. I like its simplicity and the gentle psychedelia of the second part, and the backmasked vocal is a nice touch. I gather there's never been an interpretation of that if indeed it's anything other than just vocalising but I remain convinced there must be a Genesis obsessive somewhere who's cracked it.

On my 6-disc Genesis compilation I did the obvious thing and stuck part 1 on the front of Los Endos to seamlessly run them together. It meant sacrificing part 2 but I only have the truncated version from Archive 2 and didn't want that anyway.

Abandon all reason

• Yes I've always liked IY. I like its simplicity and the gentle psychedelia of the second part, and the backmasked vocal is a nice touch. I gather there's never been an interpretation of that if indeed it's anything other than just vocalising but I remain convinced there must be a Genesis obsessive somewhere who's cracked it.

On my 6-disc Genesis compilation I did the obvious thing and stuck part 1 on the front of Los Endos to seamlessly run them together. It meant sacrificing part 2 but I only have the truncated version from Archive 2 and didn't want that anyway.

I think the first edit I made of A Trick Of The Tail merged It's Yourself with Los Endos but since the original, longer version of the song became available with the definitive ending (it's on the Movement site if you want to grab it), I moved it to the earlier position. It's quite nice to have those musical references to Los Endos early in the album.

• This is the official promo video for RA&B. I don't think I'd ever seen this, apart from a brief snippet of it from a TV ad promoting the album. I've always had this niggling memory of the ad, it featured one of the running-down-the-fire-escape bits. I thought I might have imagined it or that if I didn't, it was a tailor-made tv ad but I didn't realise it was from this video. It's very under-lit.

Here's the Ripples one too. Didn't bother posting the Trick one as I thought these were the lesser-seen ones.

Abandon all reason

• This is the official promo video for RA&B. I don't think I'd ever seen this, apart from a brief snippet of it from a TV ad promoting the album. I've always had this niggling memory of the ad, it featured one of the running-down-the-fire-escape bits. I thought I might have imagined it or that if I didn't, it was a tailor-made tv ad but I didn't realise it was from this video. It's very under-lit.

Here's the Ripples one too. Didn't bother posting the Trick one as I thought these were the lesser-seen ones.

And yet the Trick video isn't on the official YT channel. :)

• All 3 are on "The Video Show" though.

Really? Neat. I'm not sure if I want to buy it though, given that most of these songs likely used their single edits for the set. I'm one who prefers the original intended length. Maybe I could find a good quality vid on YT that's not adjusted weirdly. Idk.

• I just had a listen to the title track again (and its video), & I'm honestly surprised this wasn't a hit. It's catchy, has a memorable chorus, & has some great little guitar effects from Steve. Also didn't notice the claw that Steve was wearing at one point in the video lol. That was nice.

• Really? Neat. I'm not sure if I want to buy it though, given that most of these songs likely used their single edits for the set. I'm one who prefers the original intended length. Maybe I could find a good quality vid on YT that's not adjusted weirdly. Idk.

From the DVD, times for the 3 tracks are:

ATOTT: 4:27

R: 8:05

RAAB: 6:22

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!