Leonard Cohen

• Official Post

I am a huge fan of Leonard Cohen. I had the album I'm Your Man for quite a while and liked it, but it wasn't until the album Ten New Songs that I really became a fan. From that album on, I have followed him closely. While I still have not completely explored his early work, I admire his latest stuff.

You Want It Darker looked like the final farewell, since he died not even three weeks later. But now, Thanks For The Dance was released. An album with Leonard's blessings, at least the release itself. He asked his son to finish his vocal demos.

And his son got some interesting people to work on that album: Javier Mas, Damien Rice, Leslie Feist, Richard Reed Parry (Arcade Fire), Bryce Dessner (The National), Dustin O'Halloran, der Berliner Chor Cantus Domus, das Stargaze Orchester, Daniel Lanois, der Shaar Hashomayim-Chor, Patrick Watson, Jennifer Warnes, Beck, Michael Chaves.

Quite impressive list. None of them is dominant on that album, they all contributed in a very decent way.

So, you have a short album with very emotional songs, my favorites are Happens To The Heart, Puppets and The Night Of Santiago. This is really some kind of voice from another world now. Thank you for the music!

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• He was a very talented songwriter. But I always thought he tried 'too hard'. I get annoyed by the intrusive use of female backing singers & the word 'beauty' occurring in so many of his songs (including the sacred Hallelujah). Having said that I like Suzanne, Democracy, The Future, Bird On A Wire, So Long Marianne, First We Take Manhattan, Take This Waltz etc a great deal. I just feel there are many other songwriters who weren't so heavy handed in what they tried to say.