Age And All That Goes With It

• I have a friend who shares your cousin's fate. Rona is the woman who was the match maker for my ex and me 12 years ago, we stayed friends, later on she became close friends with my mother too - she is only in her 50s and has been diagnosed with some kind of cancer that leaves her only a few years at best. Right now she is traveling with her husband, working through her bucket list and making the most of her leftover time. It was a huge shock for all of us when we learned about it. Meanwhile we're joking about it, it just feels better to treat such bad news with humour; but I know once she is going to leave for real it will be another shock. One of the good sides of something like this is it brings people back together: she and my ex had always been best friends but they had grown apart in the last couple years, now they renewed their friendship. I had to think of the song 'The Living Years'.

Btw we had a section for topics like this in the old forum, "Hand in Hand", it was only visible when you were logged in. Maybe Christian might put sth like this here too.

• I have a friend who shares your cousin's fate. Rona is the woman who was the match maker for my ex and me 12 years ago, we stayed friends, later on she became close friends with my mother too - she is only in her 50s and has been diagnosed with some kind of cancer that leaves her only a few years at best. Right now she is traveling with her husband, working through her bucket list and making the most of her leftover time. It was a huge shock for all of us when we learned about it. Meanwhile we're joking about it, it just feels better to treat such bad news with humour; but I know once she is going to leave for real it will be another shock. One of the good sides of something like this is it brings people back together: she and my ex had always been best friends but they had grown apart in the last couple years, now they renewed their friendship. I had to think of the song 'The Living Years'.

Btw we had a section for topics like this in the old forum, "Hand in Hand", it was only visible when you were logged in. Maybe Christian might put sth like this here too.

Very sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like she is making the most of her time.

As regards songs that come to mind when events like this encroach, I always think of Keep Me In Your Heart by Warren Zevon. It is the last song on his last album. He was dying of mesothelioma at the time and the words are very much those of a man with very little time left. They often bring a tear to my eye. The video has his friends like Bruce Springsteen coming into the studio to hang out and say goodbye.

• Very sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like she is making the most of her time.

As regards songs that come to mind when events like this encroach, I always think of Keep Me In Your Heart by Warren Zevon. It is the last song on his last album. He was dying of mesothelioma at the time and the words are very much those of a man with very little time left. They often bring a tear to my eye. The video has his friends like Bruce Springsteen coming into the studio to hang out and say goodbye.

Loved Zevon.

I feel a similar sentiment with the final track on the Eagles' Long Road Out Of Eden, which appears to be Glenn Frey's farewell, although it was released in 2007 and he didn't die until 2016. The song is called It's Your World Now. He sings 'be part of something good/leave something good behind'. He did. Shame his bandmates didn't appreciate that.

I digress. Some here may remember I had an operation to remove a liver tumour in 2017. I'm still here & still OK & greatful, although I have had a very bad cold this week & that makes you feel vulnerable. Everyone stay stafe. Sorry to hear your news, Backdrifter.