Age And All That Goes With It

• Not sure šŸ¤” if we spoke about this topic before ... but here we go anyway .

Now I donā€™t consider myself old or young (dont be fooled by my boyish good looks , Iā€™m older than you think ) . I will be 56 next month no age I hear you cry , but do you know that feeling in your heart that you will be forever 18 but your body is telling you something completely different , my joints creak now as I walk .

Now I donā€™t consider myself old or young (dont be fooled by my boyish good looks , Iā€™m older than you think ) . I will be 56 next month no age I hear you cry , but do you know that feeling in your heart that you will be forever 18 but your body is telling you something completely different , my joints creak now as I walk .

You also have a huge neck too!!! ^^

• I see what you mean. I have just come home from a cataract operation. But every time, I start moaning about my age and the physical reduction it brings, I think of Keith Richards, who is still there and on stage in spite of all the substances he used all his life. It is all rock and roll, you know.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

Glad I am not the oldest here :D

ā€œWithout music, life would be a mistakeā€

• I see what you mean. I have just come home from a cataract operation. But every time, I start moaning about my age and the physical reduction it brings, I think of Keith Richards, who is still there and on stage in spite of all the substances he used all his life. It is all rock and roll, you know. Yes god bless the Stones whatever there on I could do with sum

• I will be 65 in September. I married for the 2nd time in 1999 and probably added about 10 years to my appearance. Then we split in the end of 2008 and finally divorced in 2014. I don't know exactly how, but I seem to lose about 25 extra lbs and seemed to take an extra 10 years off again. Needless to say, the marriage wasn't one that worked out very well. It's kind of amazing how happy or unhappy relationships can affect your appearance so much. I never abused drugs in my adult life. I did plenty before the age of 22. But seemed to stop most of it then. But I am considering smoking marijuana again once i fully retire now that it is legal in many states here in the US.

• Iā€™m currently being tested for various things at the doctors, the only post I get these days are invites to the well man clinic

I know the feeling. Was at the hospital yesterday for the 3rd time this year and they told me I would need to come back again in a couple of months time!! Will also need a small op in the next few months

ā€œWithout music, life would be a mistakeā€

• I see what you mean. I have just come home from a cataract operation. But every time, I start moaning about my age and the physical reduction it brings, I think of Keith Richards, who is still there and on stage in spite of all the substances he used all his life. It is all rock and roll, you know.

I read somewhere that Keith says the only reason heā€™s still alive is that he was rich enough to afford the pure stuff!

~ My talents may not be obvious but they are always...always...delicious! ~

• ....and donā€™t even get me started on my bad back. Now coming up for 3 weeks; slowly recovering but itā€™s often 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Last Monday was the worst: a virtual paraplegic virtually had to crawl to the loo. I amost dissolved into a pool of bubbles and tears and....erm...(best not go there!)

I had a disc prolapse at the age of 27. I recovered well, but get a reminder every once in a while. The answer: move your butt.

:)

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• I'm 50 next year.

Can't say I'm looking forward to that. I still don't know where all those years went. My health is pretty good and I'm active; going to the gym, pilates, playing tennis, but I am starting to creak a little. A little arthritis in the thumbs, carpel tunnel in the old wrists, but my weight's good and I don't drink very much.

That said I had my first 'fall' while on holiday in Greece recently. I'm increasingly unstable on my feet, and slipped over in the shower. Not badly hurt, but very shaken. I spend the last weekend decorating and it almost finished me off, but then I've alwas had an aversion to hard work, and by and large I've been successful at avoiding it. Until now.

• I'm 50 next year.

Can't say I'm looking forward to that.

Embrace it. I'm loving growing older. Yeah sure I'm slower, as has been said things are 'creaking' a bit now, and all that. But I know more stuff, I have more money, I'm not the pillock I was in my 20s (and to an extent 30s). Turning 40 was great fun, 50 not bad too. I'm fortunate enough to be in a nice position, largely down to some hard work and persistence and I now don't have to work all the time and I have a very good life balance. I couldn't have achieved any of that until now, due to accumulating knowledge and experience over the decades. Or, "growing older" as it's better-known.

Abandon all reason

• Embrace it. I'm loving growing older. Yeah sure I'm slower, as has been said things are 'creaking' a bit now, and all that. But I know more stuff, I have more money, I'm not the pillock I was in my 20s (and to an extent 30s). Turning 40 was great fun, 50 not bad too. I'm fortunate enough to be in a nice position, largely down to some hard work and persistence and I now don't have to work all the time and I have a very good life balance. I couldn't have achieved any of that until now, due to accumulating knowledge and experience over the decades. Or, "growing older" as it's better-known.

I hear ya, but I enjoyed being that pillock back in the day. You can't be a pillock at 50 and if you are, people are somewhat less forgiving of the fact.. ;) Being a pillock is accompanied by ignorance and a lot of fun. These days I can't even eat a doughnut without feeling guilty.

• I hear ya, but I enjoyed being that pillock back in the day. You can't be a pillock at 50 and if you are, people are somewhat less forgiving of the fact.. ;) Being a pillock is accompanied by ignorance and a lot of fun. These days I can't even eat a doughnut without feeling guilty.

For the most part I too enjoyed being that young pillock. And you're right, it comes with the total lack of pillockosity awareness, so it doesn't really matter. But at some stage your pillockosity sensor, permanently switched to standby during your 20s, clicks on and you think back over your behaviour and cringe. Plus I had the disadvantage that my sensor would occasionally click out of standby even back then, which was awful.

I've purged myself of the sort of doughnut guilt you mention. It's not worth it.

Abandon all reason

• Couldn't think where to put this, didnā€™t feel right to put it in the 'Random' thread so decided this one was more appropriate.

Someone in my extended family, only in their 40s, has been told they have a terminal condition and not much time left. They'll leave a partner and 2 young kids. I'm shocked & upset, can't stop thinking about it. Whatever gripes we have, something like this puts it in perspective.

In context of the ā€˜growing olderā€™ theme of this thread, I have health issues, and had a bit of a scare last year. But I've been managing it and in some ways feel better than I have for some time. And Iā€™m still here, enjoying life. Today a work-related thing happened thatā€™d normally really irritate the hell out of me but at the moment itā€™s bounced off me, thinking about my relatives. I really feel for them, itā€™s so upsetting. Most of us probably make sure we make the most of the time we have but every now and then youā€™re jolted into thinking about it more keenly.

Man, I hate getting all reflective on a Thursdayā€¦

Abandon all reason

• I'm very sorry to hear that, it sounds like a terrible tragedy and understandably shocking. It really does put the trivial stuff we get worked up about on a daily basis in perspective. It's impossible to understand how such dreadful misfortune can befall some people, there is no rhyme or reason to it. Accidents of biology that seem so cruel but are really just random and devastating. My own father had a heart attack when he was 38 - fortunately he survived - but I am older than that now! Every now and then I wonder if I am close to a disaster and what would happen. I remember when my uncle - a larger than life, hale and hearty guy in his 50s with five kids - died after a brief illness years ago how unreal it felt. The priest said something during the service to the extended family that resonated with me and that pops into my mind from time to time, something to the effect that it was impossible for us to imagine the story of our lives continuing to be told without him present, but that it would be so regardless. It rang true at the time.

I work in healthcare and am frequently astonished at the resilience of people who deal with the most awful personal difficulties and tragedies. I cannot imagine the pain and anguish of your relative receiving this news and knowing he has limited time left with his kids. My sympathies are with you and your family.

• Official Post

Iā€™m really sorry to hear this Backdrifter, my condolences.