Your favorite tracks on ... "We Can't Dance"

• I think Tell Me Why is one of their most underrated tracks.

I think it's rightly overlooked or overheard, this is a band capable of other, better things and this song ultimately has the relevance that it deserves. Together with the way of the world amongst the most inane lyrics Genesis ever penned.

• I think it's rightly overlooked or overheard, this is a band capable of other, better things and this song ultimately has the relevance that it deserves. Together with the way of the world amongst the most inane lyrics Genesis ever penned.

It's a little preachy but otherwise I think you proved what I was trying to say perfectly!

• It's a little preachy but otherwise I think you proved what I was trying to say perfectly!

Preachy would entail some sort if intensity or even passion which is completely absent from those lyrics, it's just perfunctory generic, like talking about the weather and glib, although not remotely as glib as way of the world. Musically there's nothing there for me, it's sounds like absent-minded Beatles.

• Preachy would entail some sort if intensity or even passion which is completely absent from those lyrics, it's just perfunctory generic, like talking about the weather and glib, although not remotely as glib as way of the world. Musically there's nothing there for me, it's sounds like absent-minded Beatles.

Way of the World is awesome 😎. "Take the danger out of a naked flame..." Love the way Phil half whispers that verse like it's a threat.

• Official Post

There are a handful of socially conscious songs on the album, including Way of the World. Being ‘91 when this album was released, probably produced in late ‘90, Phil was still in his ‘But Seriously’ mode of songwriting. I always enjoyed Phil songs that made you think.

Edit: I stand corrected, the album was put together in early ‘91, not late 1990.

• Yep, I've just relistened to Tell Me Why and Way of the World for the first time in a couple of years and can confirm that they are both stone cold classics.

I jest. Tell Me Why isn't their best song. It's not the best song on the album. It's not a great song. But I like the repetitive guitar that is more prominent than the keyboard, unusual for a Genesis song, and the laid back melody for some reason sounds like French pop to me. Way of the World is a bit like Jesus He Knows Me, starting with a breezy major key intro and then the bottom drops out of it a bit with a shift to an unsettling minor key along with the portentous lyrics. It doesn't rock as much though. And it loses direction in the end but I like it overall.

Actually haven't listened to this album in a long time. Really enjoying it. Does anyone else keep coming back to Genesis because if you haven't heard an album or song in a couple of years, it's like hearing it for the first time again?

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “Your favorite tracks on ... "We Can't Dance"” to “30th Anniversary - Your favorite tracks on ... "We Can't Dance"”.
    • Official Post

The Genesis album We Can't Dance celebrates its 30th release anniversary today (12th in North America), so you may share impressions and favorite tracks (see poll on page one of this thread) here.

Review: https://www.genesis-news.com/c…Dance-CD-review-s267.html

• Living forever is one of my favs as well, then DWYS and obviously Fading lights - how could you not value this track as an all time Genesis favorite?

This album plus US from PG a year later was a great time for me personally. Music always links to great memories...

• For me, Driving the Last Spike is the strongest on the album - a really good track musically and lyrically, and was strong when they performed it live. And might be one of their best "story songs"?

Way of the World is up there as a positive, warm up-tempo track, and No Son of Mine is a great track to open the album and has always been good live.

Fading Lights is beautiful...Great lyrics, and great instrumental...but always leaves me feeling poignant and sad!

• Giving it a spin now. As the album that brought me into Genesis I'm quite attached to it. There's only a couple of tracks I'm not overly fussed about but my favourites have always been Driving The Last Spike, Dreaming While You Sleep and Living Forever.

• I think if the album lost the two songs that are currently polling last, it would have been a good bit better.

I think I voted for Never a Time!

I love it. I think it's a lovely, touching song, and I love Phil's vocals. I'm amazed I seem to be the only one who rates it highly.

It wouldn't get higher than 3rd for me, because 1 and 2 are a no-brainer for me. But there you go. Someone likes it.

• From my favourite album, Spike, No Son & Jesus. The first three tracks! But Living Forever is right up there as is the title track. Also love Dreaming While You Sleep.

My previous post stands. I do like Never A Time and also the somewhat maligned Way Of The World.

• My previous post stands. I do like Never A Time and also the somewhat maligned Way Of The World.

I'm so pleased someone else likes Never a time. It is, for me, one of the few stand out tracks on an otherwise rather bland album. I love the harmonies of that song, and there are some great guitar and keyboard bits too; also the lyric is simple and direct. The only other tracks I rate are Dreaming while you sleep and Living forever. And On the shoreline. The rest just seem too long, lyrically banal, and the arrangements uninteresting. Disappointing compared to other Genesis albums.