Are political threads allowed?

• We

The PM has to answer to parliament which is the supreme ruling authority in this country. The trouble is, parliament is controlled by the ruling majority party headed and controlled by that party's leader , who they decide is the PM giving the PM that power . The powers of the crown are devolved down to the PM giving the PM presidential powers. If the ruling party is split over issues and they hold only a small majority , parliament will then prevent certain decisions being made as we saw with Teresa May but this is very rare. If the ruling party think thier leader has become an electoral liability they will remove them as in Johnson and Thatcher but that's not parliament. Otherwise parliament generally gives the PM free reign to do what they wish. There is no other body or authority to stop him/her which is why our PM has more power in the UK than the U.S. president has in his .

As for William III. Parliament did not officially boot James II and invite William . They couldn't bear the thought of a Catholic King. James didn't abdicate and always claimed his God given right to be King. Through plotting subterfuge by parliamentarians William knew he was wanted so invaded knowing there would be little opposition in England . With James on the run yes Parliament did invite William for the job and of course it's agreed this did establish finally parliament's supremacy with.him agreeing to their terms. Of course birthright remained essential. Good King Billy was King because Mary was Queen.. That's Good King Billy if your not an Irish Catholic who suffered some the worst atrocities ever seen on these islands by his rule.There is no doubt that our Monarchy and religion are intertwined , with a history of greed.and blood. Parliament do not appoint the King/ Queen . We've moved well beyond 1688, we have no need for a ruler by birthright . it's out dated and is about time its gone.

I do agree with the general thrust of this, apart from a couple of specifics. I misspelled the word 'Parliament' twice in the previous post so apologies. What I meant by 'Parliament appointing the monarch' was really what you conceded about it inviting William III. Since then, birthright or not, the monarch presides on Parliament's terms. No birthright saved Edward VIII from what was an untenable position. While he made the decision to abdicate, PM Baldwin (representing the government) and the Commonwealth PMs made it clear that his actions were unacceptable

• I do agree with the general thrust of this, apart from a couple of specifics. I misspelled the word 'Parliament' twice in the previous post so apologies. What I meant by 'Parliament appointing the monarch' was really what you conceded about it inviting William III. Since then, birthright or not, the monarch presides on Parliament's terms. No birthright saved Edward VIII from what was an untenable position. While he made the decision to abdicate, PM Baldwin (representing the government) and the Commonwealth PMs made it clear that his actions were unacceptable

True. You just can't go round marrying Americans!! The Queen does what she she is told by parliament. Parliament does what it's told by the Prime Minister. And back to the begining we go!!

• Yes it definitely biased. It's by an monarchy organisation. Most of it is factual though , but I agree that what what counts here is foreign income but I won't re hash the points made here. As for the hangers on , nobody knows what any of them do but they take a damn site more money from us than any the MPs in their expense account scandals. Everyone I know says they don't agree with the hangers on but isn't that whole point of the Royal Family? The Queen dishes out houses and cash to her family, and we should be grateful.

• Hang on a minute. I'm a republican. I'm definitely not miserable. I had a really good laugh in 1987 and I'm sure I've smiled a few times only as recently as this century.

• Hang on a minute. I'm a republican. I'm definitely not miserable. I had a really good laugh in 1987 and I'm sure I've smiled a few times only as recently as this century.

I suppose that given my views I too am a republican. And I'm Captain Happy McCheerful.

Abandon all reason

• I suppose that given my views I too am a republican. And I'm Captain Happy McCheerful.

Glad to hear it, but I meant the campaigning ones. If it makes them so unhappy, perhaps they should find another interest.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Glad to hear it, but I meant the campaigning ones. If it makes them so unhappy, perhaps they should find another interest.

That's eating its own tail. If as you've established that all vocal campaigning republicans' official rating on the International Happiness Scale marks them as universally unhappy it's probably related to the thing they're fundamentally campaigning against still existing and therefore still needing to be campaigned against.

Though I doubt that if you took the time to probe every aspect of their lives you'd find they're uniformly unhappy across the board.

Abandon all reason

• I fervently hope that walking sack of shit that goes by Alex Jones is very, very unhappy right now.

Yeah, me too. Before Alex Jones, there was an equally horrible conspiracy theorist radio personality named Rush Limbaugh who was one of Trump's croneys. As President, Trump even bestowed the nation's highest honor on Limbaugh, the Medal of Honor, which completely blew my mind. These guys don't deserve to breathe the same air as decent human beings. Scum-sucking pigs, the lot of them.

• Let's not forget Jones's supporters, who inhabit the same toxic waste landfill as him. I've seen some of these scumbag specimens on twitter - many of them, while seemingly accepting he was culpable, are actually diminishing it with "he said some wrong things, this punishment is disproportionate". Plus of course the predictable "free speech/slippery slope" bluster. Then you factor in the ones who agree with him.

Abandon all reason

• No decent person could support the fact that Jones claimed those kids who were murdered at Sandy Hook elementary school were in fact not actually killed. That it was a Democrat conspiracy to implement gun control. Can you imagine being a parent who lost their beautiful child to murder having to deal with a fuckface piece of shit telling the world that he or she wasn't murdered. That it was all made up. They needed to lock him up and throw away the key.

• Yeah, me too. Before Alex Jones, there was an equally horrible conspiracy theorist radio personality named Rush Limbaugh who was one of Trump's croneys. As President, Trump even bestowed the nation's highest honor on Limbaugh, the Medal of Honor, which completely blew my mind. These guys don't deserve to breathe the same air as decent human beings. Scum-sucking pigs, the lot of them.

Just an aside... .did you know Trump wanted to give the award to .... you guessed it... Trump?!

https://www.indy100.com/politics/donald-trump-medal-of-honor

• Just an aside... .did you know Trump wanted to give the award to .... you guessed it... Trump?!

https://www.indy100.com/politics/donald-trump-medal-of-honor

Yes, I knew of this. He also lied to the world (for the millionth time) when he claimed to have been awarded the Nobel Peace prize...twice!!. He released a hack video of himself on a White House balcony with the Nobel committee. Over the video, he had photo-shopped the Nobel Peace Prize. It's unbelievable that this clown of a man is actually preparing to run for President in 2024. The January 6th committee needs to step up the pace and get this guy incarcerated.

• Yes, I knew of this. He also lied to the world (for the millionth time) when he claimed to have been awarded the Nobel Peace prize...twice!!. He released a hack video of himself on a White House balcony with the Nobel committee. Over the video, he had photo-shopped the Nobel Peace Prize. It's unbelievable that this clown of a man is actually preparing to run for President in 2024. The January 6th committee needs to step up the pace and get this guy incarcerated.

Here's hoping they do, but sadly, betting they won't. :(

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Well, how about this:

https://news.yahoo.com/donald-…szgZPAHrqHq0QJo6ABAvwSPaP

"He was the White House doctor. He was a great doctor. He was an admiral, a doctor, and now he's a congressman," Trump said while Jackson looked on from the audience.

"I said, 'which is the best if you had your choice?' and he sort of indicated doctor because he loved looking at my body. It was so strong and powerful."

Trump also claimed that Jackson told him that he was "the healthiest president that ever lived."

Gross. <X