Are political threads allowed?

Not that I'm particularly pro-royalist, but frankly, I can't be bothered wasting my time write something you'd ignore or dogmatically disagree with, I've written too much alre

I have no doubt whatsoever that that it's wrong in principle to be born into positions of power and that our head of state should be elected. Is that dogma? Maybe. I also genuinely don't know what she did . When I have asked I've mixed reactions. Often it's anger at asking. Sometimes people say that she's done more for us than anyone else and moan about politicians. I quite often get if you don't now you never will. Often it's some vague comment about status without any attachment to how that status has affected anything. Nobody ever tells me tells me anything she has ever done that has made any difference.

I have no doubt whatsoever that that it's wrong in principle to be born into positions of power and that our head of state should be elected. Is that dogma? Maybe. I also genuinely don't know what she did . When I have asked I've mixed reactions. Often it's anger at asking. Sometimes people say that she's done more for us than anyone else and moan about politicians. I quite often get if you don't now you never will. Often it's some vague comment about status without any attachment to how that status has affected anything. Nobody ever tells me tells me anything she has ever done that has made any difference.

But I don't know what you think she should have 'done' in a practical sense. She was the titular head of state and many found reassurance from her presence. It was not her role to 'do' anything beyond her constitutional functions which she performed admirably. I suppose people looked up to her as a source of stability which they didn't find in politicians.

• But I don't know what you think she should have 'done' in a practical sense. She was the titular head of state and many found reassurance from her presence. It was not her role to 'do' anything beyond her constitutional functions which she performed admirably. I suppose people looked up to her as a source of stability which they didn't find in politicians.

I wouldn't bother engaging with him any more on this if I were you, it's just a frustrating waste of your time. When there are major issues in the world to get angry about (Syria, Ukraine, Myanmar, Iran, Afghanistan, the list goes on, ......... and on) he chooses to obsess about something that maybe costs every man, woman and child in the UK maybe £5 a week. Let him stew. As he admits in another thread, he doesn't even have the courage of his convictions, to hold a placard or shout something controversial at a Royal event. He'll come and moan at us, though! ?(

I'm done.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Not that I'm particularly pro-royalist

...you're sure about that?

I ask as on that basis, this -

I wouldn't bother engaging with him any more on this if I were you, it's just a frustrating waste of your time. When there are major issues in the world to get angry about (Syria, Ukraine, Myanmar, Iran, Afghanistan, the list goes on, ......... and on) he chooses to obsess about something that maybe costs every man, woman and child in the UK maybe £5 a week. Let him stew. As he admits in another thread, he doesn't even have the courage of his convictions, to hold a placard or shout something controversial at a Royal event. He'll come and moan at us, though! ?(

I'm done.

- sounds quite over-reactiony.

Also you're unfair in what you say - he'll speak for/defend himself if he wishes I'm sure but some posts on a rock band forum don't mean someone's "obsessing", any more than it means that person isn't concerned about the other issues you mentioned. There's no requirement for us to equally post about matters of impact to show our balance of concerns.

Anyway, I won't expect a response seeing as you're done, sorry to look like I was trying to drag you back in.

Abandon all reason

• But I don't know what you think she should have 'done' in a practical sense. She was the titular head of state and many found reassurance from her presence. It was not her role to 'do' anything beyond her constitutional functions which she performed admirably. I suppose people looked up to her as a source of stability which they didn't find in politicians.

I'm definitely not a monarchist but I think you express this well. Perhaps he meant that if people framed their responses like that, rather than being vague or even getting angry, it would've made more sense. It always seems to me there's this sort of amorphous cloud of royalism but there's a bit more substance in what you said there.

Abandon all reason

• I wouldn't bother engaging with him any more on this if I were you, it's just a frustrating waste of your time. When there are major issues in the world to get angry about (Syria, Ukraine, Myanmar, Iran, Afghanistan, the list goes on, ......... and on) he chooses to obsess about something that maybe costs every man, woman and child in the UK maybe £5 a week. Let him stew. As he admits in another thread, he doesn't even have the courage of his convictions, to hold a placard or shout something controversial at a Royal event. He'll come and moan at us, though! ?(

I'm done.

That's really unfair. Of course I'm bothered about those issues. Each individual issue can be discussed on it's own merits. I can't think of any issue that has been raised where someone has said that it shouldn't be talked about because there are other issues . (There seems to be something about Royalty that provokes this reaction ) I don't remember anyone saying that we shouldn't be bothered about MPs expense scandal because ultimately it's only a few.quid from us all. We were all angry about that because of principles . Same as anything else . It just so happens that the Queen has just died we have a new King and its a current issue,, one that I feel strongly about . We have just had 24/7 coverage of how wonderful the whole Royal family are with zero questioning . We have even had respected journalists asking small children what the Queen meant to them. So in light of that of that background I raise an issue to a.small group of people that does not get raised at all in the mainstream media. It's something I believe should get raised so I do it where I can. I said in a previous post that I was fed up with enforced mourning , and inability to get away from it all, but that was it until well after the funeral . I never said I would not attend the protests , quite the opposite. I said I that is scary as people have been arrested for holding up signs already and I don't want to be arrested, protests have to be approved now, so I guess the establishment are doing their job well. Neither do I want to be subjected to violence as many Royalists can get very angry at even questioning the purpose of the monarchy. There was even a top police official saying they were concerned about the safety of protesters. So I'll probably go but I will be anxious about it which I shouldn't be and never have been on the few protests I have attended before. Also although i can be quite forceful in my opinions I have never had a go at anyone personally and have never insulted anyone here, don't why you feel the need to do that especially in a response to a post by feelitcomong . I haven't got anything against anyone here nor do I have issues with those with Royalist views some of my friends are Royalists.

I'm genuinely befuddled with this issue of reassurance or that her job couldn't be done by anyone elected as a ceremonial head who has elements of accountability such where the money gets spent and who benefits. I guess I should really have concentrated on asking questions about the office of the monarch. Obviously you have genuinely held feelings about this and a lot people have talked in this vien. Clearly this issue has caused some heated feelings, not from yourself, you've kept to the issues..Obviously despite my strong feelings I do know that the whole question of the monarchy is only a side issue compared to what really really matters here which is of course all things Genesis and what song can I associate with the last one.!

• I would only say that I understand that Farmer might find the blind adoration of some royalists offputting. I'm not like that - in fact in Australian terms, I'm a devout republican. But as a devoted student of British history, the monarchy has fascinated me since I was a child. I understand both sides. As I don't live in the UK it's not really my place to get annoyed about the cost of the royal family.

• Relieved that Jeremy Hunt has been made Chancellor. Not that I especially like him or anything, I was just worried they might be about to ask me.

I gather that 10 and 11 Downing Street are being fitted with revolving doors.

Abandon all reason

• Relieved that Jeremy Hunt has been made Chancellor. Not that I especially like him or anything, I was just worried they might be about to ask me.

I gather that 10 and 11 Downing Street are being fitted with revolving doors.

:D 😂

What a big joke politics is. I could not live with myself knowing how I treat people. Lizz Truss is doing a U-Turn on the Tax cuts and another mini budget will be announced soon.

• Yes, when it's such an omnishambolic big flappy clown-shoed clusterfuck you kind of let it get on with speaking for itself with little or nothing to add.

In fact, that should be the precise wording of all news bulletins.

And now, weather.

Abandon all reason

• Unfortunately, that same guy was holding posters up saying "repent" and "turn to Jesus" or similar during other reports, so just a religious nutter, really. I wish the BBC, and others, would stop doing "on-the-spot" reports when they add nothing, except the opportunity for these wierdos to get the oxygen of publicity.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I wish the BBC, and others, would stop doing "on-the-spot" reports when they add nothing

Broadcasters generally have long been devoted to the location report. Sometimes it can add some helpful colour and detail but mostly it doesn't, and is done mainly because it feels like they should do it, or otherwise it wouldn't feel like their coverage was sufficiently serious or professional. The other main reason is that everyone else does it.

The latter is illustrated by the practice of studio news anchors standing up. To explain to those outside the UK, Channel 5 News were the first to liberate their studio news presenters from behind desks, in the late 1990s. This sounds daft now, but it really was surprising to suddenly see traditionally desk-bound presenters up on their feet, even - OH MY GOD! - walking around the studio and actually having legs. Before that, for all we knew, they didn't and might've been like Davros. Or could've been wearing hawaiian shorts.

Because Channel 5 did it, every news broadcaster had to follow and we then had all presenters released from the prisons of their desks and wandering around the place. Yet, just a couple of pre-Channel-5 years earlier, a BBC Newsnight producer had tried this same "innovation" and as a result was given a bollocking by the head of current affairs who told him firmly that news presenters SIT BEHIND DESKS.

If there's one thing I want the BBC to stop doing it's wheeling members of libertarian thinktanks on to news programmes to spout their warped twisted shite under the guise of being "experts".

Abandon all reason

• A friend whatsapped "Ashes dropped out. Sunak's in." I thought it was a bizarre tory 'new leader' signal involving ashes dropping out of some receptacle, a sort of equivalent of white smoke for a new pope. Or possibly a weird nickname for Mordaunt I wasnt aware of - Penny "Ashes" Mordaunt, like Liz "Pork Markets" Truss. I'm actually a bit disappointed it was just a typo of she's, re Mordaunt.

Abandon all reason