Are political threads allowed?

• Just hoping that Rishi Sunak can deliver and keep Britain stable and strengthen the economy.

Was hoping that Penny would be PM. She appears the only one normal in parliament right now who can deliver a honest speech. Oh well, let,s just hope!...... 🤞

Just so so glad Truss resigned. She was certainly a joke for Britain.

• Just hoping that Rishi Sunak can deliver and keep Britain stable and strengthen the economy.

Deliver, strengthen, stable? Blimey, you sound like you've been writing their speeches.

Was hoping that Penny would be PM.

"Penny"? Mate of yours?

Abandon all reason

• Unfortunately, that same guy was holding posters up saying "repent" and "turn to Jesus" or similar during other reports, so just a religious nutter, really. I wish the BBC, and others, would stop doing "on-the-spot" reports when they add nothing, except the opportunity for these wierdos to get the oxygen of publicity.

Absolutely. You get no more information just because they're standing outside a building. If being there helps because the reporter can speak to relevant people they could stick a board behind them like they do post match football interviews.

• The Conservatives have been telling us that they will deliver strong and stable government as their main message to the public in times of crisis since 2010.!! Stability, responsibility, decisiveness. It's the constant main reason we should trust them. They'll be pushing that message again next election.

• The UN and the climate science folk are getting more strident about how catastrophically wrong things will go if we don't stop fucking around.

Anyone think the political folk will actually stop fucking around, and if so who do you think will be the ones to do it in the UK or US? Do you think people will vote for them, or does most of the populace at heart not really believe in the worst case scenarios? If not, do you think those people think that even if the worst happens, it won't affect them directly? Or do they think we will inevitably come up with some technology based solution because everything somehow works out in the end anyway?

• I honestly can't see how us normal people can stop climate change if China and the USA won't do anything serious in this matter. Our governments keep preaching it's "our" fault, meaning us voters, excluding politics and leading economy.

• I honestly can't see how us normal people can stop climate change if China and the USA won't do anything serious in this matter. Our governments keep preaching it's "our" fault, meaning us voters, excluding politics and leading economy.

On top of which, while the war in Ukraine continues, what's the point? The rockets and the explosions are both causing carbon based emissions, in huge quantities, so how can anything I do offset that? And frankly, why should I? Until somebody deals with Putin, it's pointless.

I'm also fed up of Extinction Rebellion, Just Stop Oil and the others inconveniencing us, when we have no control. Inconvenience the politicians, or go and picket the Kremlin. Since they like to superglue themselves to things, perhaps we could superglue them to the side of a submarine! :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Jimmy Carter has gone into home-based hospice care at 98. His family issued a statement essentially saying he is near the end but is obviously with it enough to have requested home care as his time ends.

It's very sad news but since being an unfairly maligned president (I've heard some Americans say his presidency was better than is usually portrayed) he's devoted his last 40 years to doing good for people in need. A kind, decent man from a time of more honourable politics. I trust his final hours will be peaceful.

Abandon all reason

• "...for when we got bored, we'd have a world war". Rising tensions between USA and China while Ukraine demands more and more weapons against Russia and Germany seems ready to go back to make the call to the army a duty. :rolleyes:

• It may come.as no suprise to some of you that I am paid up member of the anti monarchy group Republic. I had really wanted to attend the protests at the coronation though I was unable due to a long term family commitment on that date. ( I did a leaflet handout wearing my yellow T shirt in Coventry the previous weekend. I quite cheerful and even had some good hearted banter with crowd outside a pub). I had been anxious about going as I was worried about being arrested for publicly expressing my opinion. My fears proved not unfounded. We (members) had a series of emails over months from Graham Smith (the main organizer) telling us that he had been in discussion with the Met and it was all agreed and explaining where we needed to be and what was going to happen. There would be speeches, placards to be handed out and we were told who was doing it and when we needed to be there who was doing it . We were asked to pledge support and expected numbers were given to the authorities. So Graham and several others got arrested ,placards and PAs for the speeches seized. Several people were taken away a few minutes before the procession arrived and searched and allowed back after it passed. Republic have no affinity with Just Stop Oil or No More Royals. Having said that people from Just Stop Oil were arrested for wearing T shirts. With all the money spent there was no way the police couldn't have policed designated areas consisting of identified protesters . Those areas could (rightly) be secured from rogue protesters . Any real problems could only have come from those not identifying as protesters and leaping out from royalist areas, ( I understand at.least one such plot was foiled) . The police could not have said protests were not going to be allowed but it was clear they were going to make any presence minimised. They didn't want Charles to see or hear them and didn't want protests to be heard or seen on the Tele. Royalists could've been informed of the official protest areas so they could have found elsewhere to view the parade in peace, they weren't . Anti democracy pro Royals individuals were not prevented from physically harassing the pro democrats. There was no way the.police could have had any credible intelligence about Graham Smith . He was not going to try and get supporters there on a pretext of a peaceful protest and then put us in the middle of something else..There was nothing illegal about "Not My King".placards which went unused. The placards that were there were those individuals had brought along..Promised speeches from Graham and MPs didn't happen. Republic have a long tradition of peaceful lawful protest. The arrests were blatenty political designed to reduce and belittle the impact of dissenting voices. The government have told us the protests went ahead unimpeded which is a lie. They have also said that we don't compare to China or Russia , which is true though that's nothing to really shout about. It would be truer to say that we don't quite compare just yet. There are many Tory voices calling the protests to be banned altogether and Lee Anderson calling for dissenters to leave the country..

There got that of me chest!

• Also, women's safety volunteers had pre-arranged with the met police to distribute rape alarms. And were then arrested on the day for "planning to use rape alarms to frighten horses".

There are many Tory voices calling the protests to be banned altogether and Lee Anderson calling for dissenters to leave the country.

Yes, the Lee Anderson who a few days later attended an event where he gave a talk promoting free speech and speaking against 'cancel culture'.

Abandon all reason

• I love how the opening question of the thread is the one question that has not been answered! That's politics in a nutshell. :P

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I swithered over posting this here as I'm not sure it counts as politics. I'm not sure what the term for this is! It's Penny Mordaunt at the tory conference. As the poster says, watch through to the end if you can stand to. In the canon of Things I've Seen it's simultaneously one of the worst and funniest.

Someone nailed it when they said she's like the Head Girl at school who can't act but gets a starring role in the school play because she's the teachers' favourite. She certainly seems to have only just learned how to hold up an index finger and do pauses and has yet to master either.

Abandon all reason

• I swithered over posting this here as I'm not sure it counts as politics. I'm not sure what the term for this is! It's Penny Mordaunt at the tory conference. As the poster says, watch through to the end if you can stand to. In the canon of Things I've Seen it's simultaneously one of the worst and funniest.

Someone nailed it when they said she's like the Head Girl at school who can't act but gets a starring role in the school play because she's the teachers' favourite. She certainly seems to have only just learned how to hold up an index finger and do pauses and has yet to master either.

To me as someone from a different country who doesn't know who this is and what she is talking about, this was still pure entertainment. The kind of real-life satire that leaves comedians unemployed ;)

• The penny mordaunt thing is hilarious. So much like a scene from the office.

On the US side of the pond, McCarthy was the first speaker to be ousted. It's so dysfunctional I can't imagine anyone wanting the job, caught between the so-called moderate Republicans on one side, and hard right lunatics and the Democrats on the other side. Funny to see gaetz and co voting with Dems, but that's how fucked up the whole thing is.

I can see the Republicans outflanking the Democrats for the presidency too. I don't think Trump will be the nominee, I think they'll get someone like Haley who will make Biden look very old and was beating him in a recent poll. First female president would be a coup for them too and give them high-yield bragging rights. Ugh.

• The penny mordaunt thing is hilarious. So much like a scene from the office.

On the US side of the pond, McCarthy was the first speaker to be ousted. It's so dysfunctional I can't imagine anyone wanting the job, caught between the so-called moderate Republicans on one side, and hard right lunatics and the Democrats on the other side. Funny to see gaetz and co voting with Dems, but that's how fucked up the whole thing is.

I can see the Republicans outflanking the Democrats for the presidency too. I don't think Trump will be the nominee, I think they'll get someone like Haley who will make Biden look very old and was beating him in a recent poll. First female president would be a coup for them too and give them high-yield bragging rights. Ugh.

Why don't you think Trump will be the nominee? He has the entire party by the proverbials. They are scared to death of him. They are nihilistic reactionaries. There is no way the Republican party would ever nominate a woman for president (remember Sarah Palin for VP)? All Trump has to do is insult Haley a few times, as he does with everyone else who gets in his way, and just like the rest of them she will cower in fear and disappear.

• Why don't you think Trump will be the nominee? He has the entire party by the proverbials. They are scared to death of him. They are nihilistic reactionaries. There is no way the Republican party would ever nominate a woman for president (remember Sarah Palin for VP)? All Trump has to do is insult Haley a few times, as he does with everyone else who gets in his way, and just like the rest of them she will cower in fear and disappear.

It's a hunch that may, of course, be completely wrong.

But the things that contribute to this hunch;

-Biden beat Trump before

-Trump could be a lightning rod to motivate massive turnout against him

-His legal peril is not makey-uppy stuff at this stage, he's in pretty deep shit. I don't think the party wants the prospect of their nominee being a convicted felon

-Haley was ahead of Biden in a recent poll

-A different, younger nominee will show up some of Biden's weaknesses in a way another old, white guy won't.

I don't think they want to alienate the MAGA crowd by publicly disowning him, so I think the get-out-of-jail card they have is for them to not impede democratic governors who want to use technicalities to say Trump isn't eligible to be on the ballot in their state because of the insurrection or whatever. That way they get to scream bloody murder about injustice and conspiracy, while having the outcome they want. Who knows, maybe massively wealthy donors will wean him off the financial aid he needs to fight a million lawsuits in the background too.

Like I said, it's all hunches and speculation. But I were close to the levers of power in the GOP these are the lines I'd be thinking along.