Your favorite tracks on ... "Genesis"

• Not my favourite and low on the list but still brilliant and probably my most played . This is the hardest one to pick just three, as HBTS is really just one . Anyway picked pt1 and pt2 plus Mama. Would like to pick TA and IGGB but cant have four .

• Mama, hbts and it's gonna get better.

If I had to choose half of hbts it would be the first half. The last chorus has a kind of mobius strip quality like the instrumental part of firth of fifth... It can cycle around endlessly. Mama is a masterpiece. And I love the vibe off its gonna get better.

It's an odd album though. I think TA is one of my favorite pop songs of theirs, and silver rainbow/just a job to do are very enjoyable. Illegal alien is definitely a relic of it's time.

• Taking a look at the results, confirms what I've always thought, side A of this album is probably one of the best 3-man era moments, with the exception of Duke, of course. Side B reverts a bit to the Abacab mode, sort of: ''let's throw stuff at he wall and see what sticks''. Very little imo..

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• Mama; Second Home; It’s Gonna Get Better. I really like Silver Rainbow as well except for the vocalized fade out ending. To close the song I wish they had reverted to the music from the verses, sans vocals, similar to the lead in to the second verse. It would have been cool to end on an extended, driving outro.

• I really like Silver Rainbow as well except for the vocalized fade out ending. To close the song I wish they had reverted to the music from the verses, sans vocals, similar to the lead in to the second verse. It would have been cool to end on an extended, driving outro.

Agreed. That's what I've always imagined as a much better ending and in fact on that segment it could be brought to a proper ending, with a hanging bass chord.

Am I right in thinking they generally rarely had definite endings?

Abandon all reason

• Agreed. That's what I've always imagined as a much better ending and in fact on that segment it could be brought to a proper ending, with a hanging bass chord.

Am I right in thinking they generally rarely had definite endings?

I think that's right. They seemed to be fond of their fade outs. Anything She Does is a notable exception though I'm sure there are many others.

Edit: and The Dividing Line of course

• Official Post

I have to go with:

Home by the Sea

Just a Job to Do

It’s Gonna Get Better

You guys know how there are those little moments in Genesis songs that are just so cool? They may only last for a couple seconds. That part in Home by the Sea, when it starts into the second verse, right at the beginning is what sounds like a piano chord, love the way that sounds. It almost sounds like it doesn’t fit, but it fits perfect. Of course the ‘images of sorrow, pictures of delight’ verse is brilliant imagery.

• Official Post

Taking a look at the results, confirms what I've always thought, side A of this album is probably one of the best 3-man era moments, with the exception of Duke, of course. Side B reverts a bit to the Abacab mode, sort of: ''let's throw stuff at he wall and see what sticks''. Very little imo..

I really like It’s Gonna Get Better; it’s really grown on me recently.

• Mama

Silver Rainbow

It’s Gonna Get Better

All three are classics but I recommend trying to find the former & latter’s extended versions as the versions of Mama & Better on the album were edited, with the latter missing a whole verse / chorus.

• Taking us off the topic but just whizzing through in my head from Trespass which has almost all proper endings (?), NC with just HtB and Harlequin fading, only TT and SR on Foxtrot, then it kind of flips over on SEBTP and gets slightly blurred on The Lamb with cross-fades and segues.

I think exactly 50-50 on Trick, a mix on W&W too (is WG the only fade in?), fades start getting more frequent from ATTWT and then pretty much the norm, with definite endings a rarity. But please correct me on any of that.

Abandon all reason