WHO - a really pleasant surprise

• I got this album for Christmas. It's The Who's first album since 2006's Endless Wire and only their 4th studio album since 1978's Who Are You, so I wasn't necessarily expecting too much. But it's really good, not just "OK for a band that had its heyday 40 years ago", but actually really good in its own right.

Townshend has written a great set of songs that are topical and personal. A lot of the themes seem to draw a straight line from Who By Numbers and Who Are You, particularly about aging and identity. But he also comments on many current social and political issues. "All This Music Must Fade" particularly addresses the silliness of recent lawsuits about one song being similar to another.

But what really makes the album work are Daltrey's vocals. He hasn't sounded this unbridled, this in command since at least 1981's Face Dances.

If you haven't heard any of the tracks yet, at least sample "All This Music Must Fade" and see what you think.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

I never was a big THE WHO fan, but I was really surprised when I heard their new album - and i bought it. It's really a great collection of rock tracks. And I was thinking - whatever kept Genesis from doing such a last album .... probably they fear to produce something substandard.

THE WHO have proved the opposite.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• I never was a big THE WHO fan, but I was really surprised when I heard their new album - and i bought it. It's really a great collection of rock tracks. And I was thinking - whatever kept Genesis from doing such a last album .... probably they fear to produce something substandard.

THE WHO have proved the opposite.

I would also welcome a last Genesis studio album. I'm sure they could still write some quality songs.

The interesting thing about WHO is that is not only a good album, but it has sold pretty well, despite minimal airplay and promotion. It charted at #2 in the U.S. and Canada, #3 in the U.K., and #5 in Germany.

• Never a band I liked, and the track above hasn't changed that, but good on them for keeping going and keeping the standard up. They should/may have done a song along the lines of "I hope I get old before I die!" ;)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Never a band I liked, and the track above hasn't changed that, but good on them for keeping going and keeping the standard up. They should/may have done a song along the lines of "I hope I get old before I die!" ;)

Not expecting a conversion if you weren't a fan before.

They may not have a song about it, but they do appear to plan to die before they get old!

• Not expecting a conversion if you weren't a fan before.

They may not have a song about it, but they do appear to plan to die before they get old!

They've left bit a bit late, then! ;)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Curiously, I’ve seen a few fan reviews hailing the new album as a major improvement over Endless Wire.

I actually prefer Endless Wire – though I don't think that's a slight against the new album.

I quite like the last two Who albums - certainly far more than the previous pair released in the early ’80s.

Perhaps not too surprising a point of view if you believe, as I do, that in the ’80s, Townshend was setting aside his best material for his solo albums.

• Curiously, I’ve seen a few fan reviews hailing the new album as a major improvement over Endless Wire.

I actually prefer Endless Wire – though I don't think that's a slight against the new album.

I quite like the last two Who albums - certainly far more than the previous pair released in the early ’80s.

Perhaps not too surprising a point of view if you believe, as I do, that in the ’80s, Townshend was setting aside his best material for his solo albums.

I quite like Endless Wire. However, I find Daltrey's performance on WHO much better than on that album, which makes a difference for me.

• I have to add my kudos to the new album from The Who. I was just gobsmacked when I first heard it, and my opinion of the album has only grown with subsequent listenings.

Roger said in interviews before the album was released that it was their best album since Quadrophenia - I thought that was a rather bold assertion. However, while I'm not there yet, I could someday arrive at the same opinion. I can say for now that this is my favorite Who album since Face Dances (and I also liked Endless Wire).

Hats off to both Roger and Pete (and those who played with them - good to hear Zak Starkey play too) for creating a great album! :thumbup:

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...