R.I.P. Neil Peart

• I really need to explore Rush more, to be honest. They were one of several of my university bands (remember that era? Where I tried to get into a huge pile of prog rock and it paid off tremendously, because I liked a majority of what I heard?), well sadly Rush never made it into my "love" pile, so I stopped regularly listening to them. Same thing happened to Supertramp.

OK, for 2020, it's time for me to listen to more Rush 8)

• Rush marks the origins of my musical fanaticism.

They were my first favourite band and remain among my favourites to this day.

It all started when I was 13, a friend brought the album All The World’s A Stage to class for us to listen to. It immediately broadened my perspective of what music could offer, raised my expectations and influenced my tastes from that moment on.

The highlight on that album for me then and now was a track called “Working Man” which featured this memorable 10-minute drum solo.

We’ve lost some irreplaceable musical heroes in recent years.

But this one really cuts deep for me.

• A real sad day for music so early into the new year. Rush were one of the first bands I got into as a teenager discovering rock music in the late 70s. I saw them at Hammersmith Odeon, London in 1979 on the Hemispheres tour. My favorite era of the band.

• This comes almost four years to the day that my (then) hero (Glenn Frey) died aged 67. Now my husband's hero has died aged 67. I have been getting more & more into Rush recently. Neil had a great deal of personal tragedy, losing his daughter & his first wife in the space of a year. RIP.

• Of all the deaths of rock heroes in these last few years - the loss of Chris Squire and John Wetton hit me especially hard - this one is the hardest to process since Bowie. A singular musician and a thoughtful lyricist, he was a unique talent.

Some nice tributes, and in particular a very touching note by Dave Grohl. NP was a huge influence on him and so many others.

Abandon all reason