9. 07 points - satisfactory (-) (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient (+) (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient (-) (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor (+) (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor (-) (1) 7%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

PETER GABRIEL - Shock The Monkey

Year: 1982
    Album: Peter Gabriel IV: Security
    Working title: unknown
    Credits: Gabriel
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 05:28
    Musicians: Peter Gabriel, Tony Levin, David Rhodes, Larry Fast
    Played Live: 1982, 1983, 1986, 1987, 2003, 2004, 2012, 2013, 2014
    Cover versions: plenty

Notes: Shock The Monkey was a single from Peter Gabriel's fourth album. A video was also produced. The song deals with jealousy and was a live favorite on many tours. During the Back To Front Tour, an unplugged version was performed ....

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• A dreadful track from an album with 2 classics (Wallflower/Lay Your hands On Me) and 6 fillers, IMO. STM is the worst of them all.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I would say it's overrated. It is one of those songs I just can't be bothered with most of the time (But FF, isn't San Jacinto a bit more than a filler? Don't want to go off topic). Satisfactory, no more than that.

• It's OK. I don't mind it. I liked the rearranged version from the So Reheated tour.

But FF, isn't San Jacinto a bit more than a filler? Don't want to go off topic.

Ditto not wishing to take us too far off-piste but I agree, in fact SJ is possibly my favourite PG song and I've been enthralled by some mesmerising live performances if it. I find it as far from filler as it could be. PG4 is a favourite generally and I listened the hell out of it for years. The weakest track for me is Kiss Of Life.

I was fascinated by the video for STM and watched it so much I knew every frame of it. I bet it'd look silly now though, I probably haven't seen it since the mid 80s.

Abandon all reason

• PG4 is probably my favourite of his solo records. The only track I don't find engaging is The Family and the Fishing Net.

While not my favourite or even my top 3 from the album, I think StM is still quite strong. I like the main musical hook - simple and effective. I like all the Fairlight sounds and textures. I like the lyrics, which sound like they are superficially about one topic but are really about another. I like Tony Levin's stick work. I also like how it contrasts with the other songs on the album, which have some very different moods.

• I'll buck the trend a little, and say the track is very good (14). Overall the album is good and STM is one of the stronger tracks

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Peter’s third and fourth albums represent, to me, the pinnacle of his solo career and I hold them in such high regard that I would stand them up next to his best works in Genesis.

The incorporation of dark African rhythms - elements I had heard and embraced previously in Santana - but in a “progressive” rock setting, seemed so ground-breaking to me at the time.

It sounded amazing then and still moves me to this day.

Shock The Monkey isn’t my favourite song on PG4 – that honour would go to San Jacinto or Rhythm Of The Heat – but I would certainly include it in the top half of my favourites from that album.

I enjoyed the acoustic version when I saw him on the 2012 tour but my favourite is the one recorded on Plays Live.

• Ok I guess, doesn't drive me crazy. I liked it when it was released but it sorts of wore out its welcome with me. My personal favorites on that album are TFATFN and Lay your hands on me but SJ is outstanding too and I've always enjoyed TROTH. I used to be crazy about Wallflower but political-humanitarian statement aside and excellent vocals, today I just find it cute. I have the touch and kiss of life sound like fillers to me.

• My faves on the album are The Family... and San Jacinto. As for Shock the Monkey, the single version rocks, while the album version is too long and repetitive.