THE MUSICAL BOX performs The Lamb Lies Down Broadway - Tour dates 2022 / 2023

• Having played the Scottish Rite auditorium several times, it would definitely be amenable to the Musical Box. It's quite a large stage and as you point out, many A-list international acts have played there. It's a hike for me though being in Bucks County! Fingers crossed.....

I saw you guys play at the Scottish Rite. Excellent show. I remember the guy taking my ticket at the door noticed my Ravens sweatshirt and remarked “Ravens . . . wow you drove all the way up here? You must be a hard-core fan.” To which I responded “Oh yeah, these guys are definitely worth it!”

• Having played the Scottish Rite auditorium several times, it would definitely be amenable to the Musical Box. It's quite a large stage and as you point out, many A-list international acts have played there. It's a hike for me though being in Bucks County! Fingers crossed.....

Now having floated the possibility, I now feel bad for doing so. ^^ I'll explain.

The Scottish Rite Auditorium has a season, i.e., they don't hold concerts year-round. It temporarily slipped my mind when I suggested it earlier. They don't have concerts during June, July, and August. Their concert season runs from September to May. So, we're going to end up with the Sunday/Monday 12th/13th pairing at the Keswick (or shows after their Tarrytown show on the 19th) or they will play somewhere else.

I was thinking other places in Philly that could host them. The relatively new venue, The Fillmore, could definitely work too. Yes played their two "50th Anniversary" shows there (and they had their 50th Anniversary celebration before the concert in a nice room upstairs). It's about the same size audience-wise as the Keswick and Scottish Rite.

I suppose they could also play shows at the Keswick before or after their two shows in Quebec City in September (I wonder why those two shows are all alone for now). I just don't think that they would want a six-day break in mid-June; that's a lot of daily fixed costs accumulating without money coming in.

Well, I hope we find out soon.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Yup, all correct. One of the gigs I played at the SR was at the very end of their season (May) and it must have been 90F+ (32C+) degrees on stage! We all thought we were going to pass out so the SR in the summer is not optimal (lol) - they have no AC but plenty of ghosts (a story for another time). As far as other venues, there are probably a handful that could be explored but a promoter can't book (as you point out) gigs at the last minute given the way seasons work at most venues. Now, TMB might have a "soft hold" on some Keswick dates and these might pop through soon. If not, another timeframe as you suggest. As far as any TMB shows in Quebec, remember that it's easy for them to do one-offs there as they live in Montreal (3 hour drive) and the tax headaches are virtually nil (unlike touring outside of Canada). Again, fingers crossed....

• Further info on prospective Keswick dates…

The Keswick already has shows scheduled on the 11th and 14th of June - so that June 10-16 gap between the Illinois and NYC shows is now trickier to navigate. This might be why the Keswick shows were not announced up front.

A set of shows on the 13th and 14th would have been perfect, but the latter date is now unavailable. So, what seems likely to happen is a somewhat awkward 12th/13th pairing (awkward because it’s a Sunday/Monday pairing). They could also try to schedule the shows after the 19th (which is the finale of this leg of the tour in Tarrytown, NY). So, for those wishing to see this tour at the Keswick, those seem to be the most likely windows.

I guess we’ll find out for sure later this week or next week.

OK - another update...

They have now added a date in Cleveland on the 12th of June. So, that pretty much takes away the time frame in between the 10th and 16th for putting on two shows at The Keswick (since the 14th is already taken by another show at the venue - I can't see them shoehorning in shows on the 13th and 15th when they are playing NYC on the 16th and 17th).

So, at the moment, these are the most likely windows for Keswick shows:

1) the 20th/21st of June (both available at the venue - it would just mean extending the tour beyond the Tarrytown, NY show)

2) just before/after their two shows in Quebec City in September.

3) some indeterminate dates in between ^^

So, we're still waiting for official info.

In the meantime, I have decided to see TMB perform "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" on Broadway. If this is the last time there are doing it in full, why not see it there? So, I'm going to the Palladium on the 16th. Of course, I'll still catch a show at the Keswick, whenever tickets go on sale (someday)...

• It'll most likely be 1) above. I can't see 2) happening because of the travel and tax headaches for just a handful of shows. I can't imagine them not playing the Philly area especially since one of the members is married to a girl from Upper Darby lol (yes, I have a bit of inside info :)

• It'll most likely be 1) above. I can't see 2) happening because of the travel and tax headaches for just a handful of shows. I can't imagine them not playing the Philly area especially since one of the members is married to a girl from Upper Darby lol (yes, I have a bit of inside info :)

Hmm, the guitarist? (Just a wild guess lol).

My intuition tells me the same thing (even without the inside info 😄). The only way the second option would occur is if they were adding even more US shows around those Quebec City shows. I hope we find out this week, but I really thought we would already know by now… 🤷‍♂️

• So I haven’t bought my ticket yet but it looks like I’ll be going to the TMB show here in Montreal on Saturday. Today I listened to the entire TLLDOB double album. What a masterpiece it is. So ironic that Peter left the band after that triumphant album and tour. It could have spelled the end for Genesis.

• So I haven’t bought my ticket yet but it looks like I’ll be going to the TMB show here in Montreal on Saturday. Today I listened to the entire TLLDOB double album. What a masterpiece it is. So ironic that Peter left the band after that triumphant album and tour. It could have spelled the end for Genesis.

I always called it "the anti-Genesis" album. Set in NYC, punk attitude to it and so radically different from SEBTP (and no acoustic 12-string guitar - blasphemy for Genesis lol). And Trick was really a return to more familiar grounds with soft pastoral 12-string guitars and an "Englishness" to it. All incredible albums, of course!

• A masterful performance by The Musical Box, musically and visually. So glad that I went. I can’t say there was a particular highlight as I thoroughly enjoyed the entire show. Just a couple of things that stood out. It was another reminder of what a great drummer Phil was. His beat literally carried every tune. Peter only wore one costume that was the Slipperman suit. During Riding The Scree, at one point Peter and Steve leave the stage, and only Phil, Mike, and Tony were playing. A sign of things to come. I would recommend this show for any Genesis fan. It’s rather obvious why they are the only tribute band endorsed by Genesis. I’ll try to post some pics below.

• Official Post

Thanks for posting your impressions! We will have to wait until the end of the year here in Germany (and then that's two years after the originally scheduled dates)

• Covid sure has given us a lesson in patience. Thankfully these shows have been postponed and not canceled. Looking forward to reading your impressions after you finally get to see them.

• The first ever concert I went to was The Musical Box at the Royal Albert Hall in October 2003 (Nad, future singer in Steve Hackett's band, was there and I gave him a copy of the Genesis Chicago '78 show!). It was spectacular.

I'd love to see these guys again, especially if they're doing The Lamb. For fans of the 70s Genesis, these type of bands are crucial as they are the only way to see this fantastic music performed live (outside of Steve, that is), now that Genesis are no more.

• Some of the pre-show music must have been the same music played at the Genesis shows in ‘74. I Shazamed some of the tracks.
    Frank Zappa - Stink Foot

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells part 1

P.F.M. - Chocolate Kings

Alan Parsons Project - The Cask of Amontillado

Focus - Hocus Pocus

Some tracks even Shazam didn’t know. 😂

• Well, I finally got to see their show last night at the Palladium Times Square in NYC. Yes, TLLDOB performed literally on Broadway (1515 Broadway, to be exact)! 😄

It was a stellar performance, as usual. Having four days rest before the show must have helped. LOTS of energy from the band. There was another show tonight which should be finishing there as I am writing this. I’m sure it was excellent too.

I only ended up going to this show because they never announced Philadelphia-area shows for this tour. I’m absolutely certain that they are playing Philadelphia on this tour, but I have very little idea when! 😄 Any shows certainly won’t be on this leg of the tour, which ends this Sunday the 19th.

So, will they play here before their Canadian tour in September? Will they play here after it in October or November, before they head to Europe? I don’t know. 🤷‍♂️ I’ll just be ready to get tickets when they do.

• They don't always play the sam cities, same in Europe. On some tours, they skip locations, on other they are back again. Is most likely linked to logistics.

Well, of course, that is true. However, there must have been very large logistical problems for them not to have been able to schedule Philadelphia-area shows. Philly is one of the places they enjoy performing the most - all their shows sell out almost instantly and the fan reception is always rapturous. Simply put, they would never not play Philadelphia - they have come here for every tour of theirs, and they always would/will in the future.

I’m sure they will come before and/or after their Canadian dates in Sept./Oct. I’m just glad I got a ticket for one of the NYC performances - it was outstanding!

• True, though I must admit the emphasis on Philly reminds me of the part in the movie Spinal Tap when things are beginning to fall apart for the band and they hang their hat on Philadelphia: “Now Philly, there’s a real rock and roll town” 😂