Genesis: "Lamb"-Boxset ahead?

• Official Post

.... see our news item from today here

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…-Boxset-planned-n641.html

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• So many artists have been re-releasing classic albums in so-called super deluxe editions lately. The Lamb is certainly deserving of such attention and I can't wait to hear what's included in the box set. An extended Lamia perhaps with a longer guitar solo? A full, uncut Waiting Room? Bring on the summer!

• If it's just a re-hash with heightened fidelity and what not, I'll not waste my money. If there are actual nice extras or perhaps some rehearsal/outtake segments not previously realized, then I'm there.

• Or, better still, 5.1! It's certainly an album that would be good to have in that format, as long as it's not overpriced.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I’ve heard some decent tour rehearsal recordings of bands doing a run-through of a proposed set.

Those are OK.

I wouldn’t be too interested, though, in more jam sessions or studio outtakes where songs are being developed.

As unique as they are, they’re a bit like a novel brand of candy – very enticing, but not very fulfilling.

I find once I’ve satisfied my curiosity, I rarely search through my collection to hear them again.

• I wouldn’t be too interested, though, in more jam sessions or studio outtakes where songs are being developed.

As unique as they are, they’re a bit like a novel brand of candy – very enticing, but not very fulfilling.

I find once I’ve satisfied my curiosity, I rarely search through my collection to hear them again.

Conversely, I'd be more than open to more outtakes, demos and rehearsals not heard before, there is always something different with each one. They can keep all the 5.1's and so forth as far as I'm concerned, it's the same album I've heard countless times.

• Headley Grange, haunted, rats running about, a unique recording experience.

... and the remnants of Jimmy Page's occult activities still evident.

Followed shortly by the director of The Exorcist tapping up Gabriel!

Even leaving aside who met who and when, imagine the various Genesis what-if universes:

The tape fell under a seat in King's car and he never noticed it

They heeded the A&R guy who told them to give up

Phillips was fine to carry on

Collins accepted Jon Anderson's invitation to join Yes when Bruford was going to university

Gabriel went to work with Friedkin

Hackett found doing Acolyte so liberating and with PG gone he decided to quit there and then

Collins was able to rescue his marriage in Vancouver on the basis of leaving the band

Collins joined The Who

The Hackolyte one is the most speculative but we know the others were definite crossroads.

Abandon all reason

• I thought it had, but it's in a massive boxset, isn't it?

I don't think so. If you buy The Lamb as a standalone release I believe it includes the CD and the DVD. And I'm sure that's the same with all the Nick Davies mixes of the albums. You don't have to buy the box set in order to get the 5.1 mixes (which is good because nowadays those box sets are bloomin' expensive).

• I don't think so. If you buy The Lamb as a standalone release I believe it includes the CD and the DVD. And I'm sure that's the same with all the Nick Davies mixes of the albums. You don't have to buy the box set in order to get the 5.1 mixes (which is good because nowadays those box sets are bloomin' expensive).

Bit of Googling reveals this to be so, BUT it was very much a hotch potch of formats and territories, plus I didn't have a 5.1 set up back then. So, hopefully, this box might address all the options re bonus tracks, mixes, and, as per some old 5.1 versions, the slideshow on the 5.1 mix.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Bit of Googling reveals this to be so, BUT it was very much a hotch potch of formats and territories, plus I didn't have a 5.1 set up back then. So, hopefully, this box might address all the options re bonus tracks, mixes, and, as per some old 5.1 versions, the slideshow on the 5.1 mix.

Whilst I still don't own a copy of 5.1 mix, I'm not sure I'd like the band to simply re-release something they've already put out. As someone who indulges in amateur editing and re-mixing, I'd personally love Nick to remaster some of the stuff that was on the Headley Grange tapes, bringing it up to the same sonic quality of the album so that I can make my own "fan edit" of the album.

All in all, I just think it's nice that the band are singling out this real high point of their career to give it some extra love and attention. I just hope they don't go with the current flow and include a vinyl copy with it, thus bumping up the cost.

• I don't think so. If you buy The Lamb as a standalone release I believe it includes the CD and the DVD. And I'm sure that's the same with all the Nick Davies mixes of the albums. You don't have to buy the box set in order to get the 5.1 mixes (which is good because nowadays those box sets are bloomin' expensive).

No, the Lamb in 5.1 was only ever available as part of the Gabriel years 70-75 box set. Albums after that were released separately in CD/DVD. There was some movement a number of years ago to release the albums on Blu Ray but AFAIK only a couple have surfaced (DVD and Blu versions are identical)

• Was that in America? I was talking about Britain.

UK. There was much gnashing of teeth by many fans who wanted to buy the PG era stuff but it was only made available in the expensive box set and then even more expensive when the box sets became unavailable via third party sellers on Amazon etc. Why they didn't release the albums as they did with post PG albums is a mystery?