Anyone here into Supertramp?

• I saw them for the first time in 1977, dynamite show. I lost interest when Roger Hodgson left however, not the band in it's truest form any longer. What MADE them Supertramp was the writing duo of Hodgson and Davies, along with their juxtaposing voices.

Meanwhile, here is some film I shot of one of Roger's gigs:

External Content vimeo.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I agree. That yin/yang, light/dark contrast between Hodgson and Davies is part of what made those albums so great.

Having said that, I don’t mind the first post-Hodgson release, Brother Where You Bound — in fact I prefer it to the band’s previous release Famous Last Words.

• I agree. That yin/yang, light/dark contrast between Hodgson and Davies is part of what made those albums so great.

Having said that, I don’t mind the first post-Hodgson release, Brother Where You Bound — in fact I prefer it to the band’s previous release Famous Last Words.

Roger was much disappointed over FLW, didn't feel it was a quality release at all, not a good last effort with Roger still in the band.

• Also a big fan, I think the first album, Supertramp, from 1970, is their best. Post Hodgson they went downhill, and Hodgson's Eye of the Storm shows why. FLW is a poor album though, with 2 really good songs on side 2, C'est la bon and Don't Leave me now.

Past comparisons on the forum have been between Supertramp and 10cc, (not big in the US I believe), and for my part, while I respect the musicianship and intellect of 10cc more, I only own their "best of", while I have several Supertramp albums.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Also a big fan, I think the first album, Supertramp, from 1970, is their best. Post Hodgson they went downhill, and Hodgson's Eye of the Storm shows why. FLW is a poor album though, with 2 really good songs on side 2, C'est la bon and Don't Leave me now.

Past comparisons on the forum have been between Supertramp and 10cc, (not big in the US I believe), and for my part, while I respect the musicianship and intellect of 10cc more, I only own their "best of", while I have several Supertramp albums.

I think Crime of the Century has a slight edge over things like "Quietest Moments" and "Breakfast". But Crime is probably my personal favorite.

• The Hodgson-Davies juxtaposition was a bit like Frey-Henley in the Eagles. I only have Breakfast In America but I like a lot of their stuff.

I still remember the Supertramp gig I saw in Niagara Falls in '77 (Livingston Taylor was the warm up). A great show, I saw them once more prior to Roger's departure, in Philadelphia, 1983. That was a whole different atmosphere, kind of a downer after Hodgson announced to the crowd that he was leaving. Rick was in a 'mood'.

• Also a big fan, I think the first album, Supertramp, from 1970, is their best...

You certainly topped me there.

I thought the mere fact I prefer the first two albums over Breakfast was a bit radical. ;)

Nothing controversial about my three favourites, though ... Crime, Crisis and EITQM in that order.

But then I like the debut and Indelibly Stamped.

Never understood the complete dismissal of those early albums by the band and most fans.

I always felt those two were virtually as good or as enjoyable as the albums that followed.

• Never understood the complete dismissal of those early albums by the band and most fans.

I always felt those two were virtually as good or as enjoyable as the albums that followed.

Helliwell always talked disparagingly about that "album with a rose on the cover" during concerts. Frankly I've never actually listened to it.

• Helliwell always talked disparagingly about that "album with a rose on the cover" during concerts. Frankly I've never actually listened to it.

I urge you to do so. I can arrange an mp3 copy if you want, or it's on YouTube:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I guess AH wouldn't be enamoured, he hadn't joined them yet.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Was into Supertramp before I really got into Genesis. Heard them first on a late night Radio 1 session (Peel or Harris) when Crime first came out, went out and bought the album as soon as I could after that. Saw them at Oxford New Theatre on the Crime tour , and again at the 1975 Reading Festival. The first album, Crime and Crisis are my favourites, wasn't quite so enamoured with EITQM and Breakfast, but still like to listen to them frequently now, quite evocative of my student years.

• I love all the Supertramp albums, but my introduction to them was COTC. I was at a friend of a friend's apartment in '74. He was an audiophile with a high end Technics turntable. He opened this album he'd just purchased and place it on the turntable. The long slow harmonica of "School" played through the speakers. I was enamored by the clarity of audio and remained hypnotized for the duration of the album. COTC is absolutely my favorite Supertramp album.

• I've only ever liked a small handful of tracks. Around the time of Crisis it felt like they might be a band I could get to like but ultimately they never clicked with me.

That's a very odd comparison in my view, I don't get that at all. But if they are to be forcibly pushed together in a shotgun juxtaposition 10cc are the clear winner for me.

Abandon all reason

• I've only ever liked a small handful of tracks. Around the time of Crisis it felt like they might be a band I could get to like but ultimately they never clicked with me.

That's a very odd comparison in my view, I don't get that at all. But if they are to be forcibly pushed together in a shotgun juxtaposition 10cc are the clear winner for me.

10CC and Supertramp? Apples and oranges.

• I recall reading an interview in which one of the founding members spoke about Supertramp initially modeling themselves after Traffic.

It was intriguing to me because I am a huge Traffic fan and I always felt Indelibly Stamped hinted towards the sound of Traffic – not only due to the addition of a sax/flute player but also the folk/rock quality of several tracks.

It's also notable when Hodgson responded to Rick's ad in Melody Maker and auditioned to join the band, the song they asked him to play was Dear Mr. Fantasy.

• One of my favourite bands. Love all of their albums but my top 3 would be

1 Even In The Quietest Moments

2 Crisis? What Crisis?

3 Crime Of The Century

....and in contrast to most people I think Famous Last Words is an excellent album

“Without music, life would be a mistake”