Your favorite tracks on ... "... And Then There Were Three ..."

• I would have loved there to have been more. Undertow and SIAJ are the standouts for me however I would have loved those tracks in particular to have been extended .

Did you go to the Duke tour? Joe seemed to go on for absolutely bloody ages, with pauses and the run-out extended to allow Collins to do his drunken trying-to-spark-up routine and staggering around.

You'd have loved it!

Abandon all reason

• Did you go to the Duke tour? Joe seemed to go on for absolutely bloody ages, with pauses and the run-out extended to allow Collins to do his drunken trying-to-spark-up routine and staggering around.

You'd have loved it!

Sounds great. Didn't go to the Duke tour. Never saw them till the following year . I'll have to look out for some recordings . Would like to hear it .

• I agree. It seemed that they never even considered replacing Steve from outside the band, given how successful they'd been in consolidating the departure of Peter from within. Had Steve stayed for one more album, though, then Mike would still not have been ready to be the guitarist when Steve left (and Steve leaving the band was always on the cards, I think) so we would have had the same transitional album that And Then There Were Three was. The weakness of the album is a price worth paying for the sheer brilliance of what came after. Listen to Mike's playing on Duke, which is much more self-assured.

Right - the part you edited out of my original post concurs that Mike's playing was very good after ATTWT. Also, I said in a different post (I think in a "Duke" thread *) that one of my all-time favorite Genesis eras was/is 1980-83, and it still is - and part of my valuing that era so highly is from Mike's guitar work during that era.

My point was he wasn't great at the start; I completely concur that he got great after.

* that comment was here:

GENESIS - Duke's 40th anniversary (28th March 2020)

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

Edited once, last by OneForTheVine ().

• I really like this album. My favorites are Undertow, Burning Rope, and Follow You, Follow Me. I really like Snowbound too, even though it’s a little repetitious.

I love Undertow. I always laugh when I think of Burning Rope though, what with Phil complaining about how hard it was to sing the lyrics!

Down and Out would always be in my top three for this album.

• Official Post

Over time, I began to see The Lady Lies as my favorite, but even Scenes from a night‘s dream

is a better track than I thought it was years ago ...

fascinating how albums revolve in our heads over time