Genres in music!!

• Whilst love listening to new music, certain band genres, specially in the Progressive rock scene, leave me confused?...

Specially bands labled as Canterbury, Rock Progressivo Italiano and Kraut .

Firstly what style of music to they play? and why are different countries playing their music such as Canterbury( Considered to be English) , Kraut music music (German) and so fourth.... I prefer the much simplier terms, such as Symphonic, Jazz, Classical, Folk and Country orientated themes...

Even such music such as Avante - Garde which Is not my favourite of the Progressive genres... Find the music slightly on the heavier and complex to get into.

Would love bands to be labled according to their musical style and not a lable stamped by a word such as Avant-Garde, Zeuhl, Rio-Avant, Canterbury, Rock Progressivo Italiano and Kraut .

The only lable I like and easy to understand is Crossover

:)

Edited once, last by Noni ().

• Canterbury defined a group of bands for that area of the UK, and who had a kind of jazz sound; Caravan, Soft Machine et al. I was never a big fan, although I really like the Hatfield & the North debut.

Krautrock was German experimental rock from early Kraftwerk to bands like Neu. I can cope with a bit of that from time to time.

Prog rock subgenres can be confusing, and I'm not a fan of rigid classification, but if you like band of a particular sub genre, it helps to choose others if you know how they are broadly classified. I guess Symphonic prog asmy favourite sub genre