Reunion Rumour - Unplugged

• Anyone seen this thread yet? What do you think?

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv…-in-november-2020.933654/

My Fantasy setlist:

Genesis - Looking Back (We're Not Dead Yet) - the Unplugged tour with Phil Collins and special guests

<Ray comes out of a coffin>

Stagnation (Ray)

<Phil appears on stage>

For Absent Friends (Phil)

Lover's Leap (Ray)

Cinema Show (Phil)

The Lamia (Nik Kershaw)

Carpet Crawlers (Ray/Phil)

Ripples

Your Own Special Way (Paul Carrack/Phil)

Follow You Follow Me

Guide Vocal/Turn it On Again

No Reply At All

Mama (Ray/Phil)

That's All

Land of Confusion (Ray)

Throwing it All Away (Phil)

No Son of Mine (Phil)

Over My Shoulder (Paul Carrack)

An Island in the Darkness (Nik Kershaw)

Not About Us (Ray)

In The Air Tonight (Phil)

Invisible Touch (Phil)

Afterglow (Phil)

"I'm feeling so confused today
    They've gone and changed the rules again,,,"

• Phil, Mike, Tony and Nic plus Daryl and some of the legacy roadcrew, were in New York City for rehearsals recently (January).

My source confirmed to me last October, that Phil spoke with him to confirm Genesis were going to reunite.

TGA

• Phil, Mike, Tony and Nic plus Daryl and some of the legacy roadcrew, were in New York City for rehearsals recently (January).

My source confirmed to me last October, that Phil spoke with him to confirm Genesis were going to reunite.

TGA

I knew they were in New York because I saw the photo of them at the basketball game. But.... this is ... big news....8|

• An acoustic/unplugged set would definitely work as all the band members could sit down for that kind of show! It would also allow them to perform material they've never done before (Blood On The Rooftops he said, hopefully) as well as giving them the opportunity to perform some of the more well known songs (Invisible Touch et al) with new, stripped down arrangements. They've performed I Can't Dance, No Son Of Mine and Afterglow acoustically before and those songs worked perfectly well that way.

• I think it will play to their (current) strengths, and should hopefully discourage trying to compare current Genesis with the past too much.

I also think new arrangements of old songs is the closest we're likely to get to new material, in spite of how much I'd love to hear them create music together again.

• Official Post

Well, whether or not the guy who shared this info actually KNOWS what's going to happen - he didn't say it's going to be an acoustic tour. That was part of the discussion later on.

• We would like to see an unplugged with string section (maybe orchestra)... now that would be a treat. It doesn't have to be synths and electric guitar...

That would be the way to go, maybe even with visuals on a par with Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds production that we saw in 2009. Now that was like the Jeff Wayne WOFTW's DVD from 2007, so in some cases actors could act out certain parts maybe.

That could be a better way of doing it, rather than people expecting Phil or others to run around or similar.

Just our ten pence / ten cent's worth.

TGA

• Phil's recently completed a solo tour where he rarely got out of his chair. Critical response and audience response was very positive and nobody seemed bothered at all that Phil was so immobile; he wasn't exactly Sammy Davis Jnr in the first place!

Genesis did the big production in 2007, playing stadiums in Europe and America. I'm sure they don't want to do the same thing again and, as a fan, I'd like to see something different. A smaller scale show that's less bombastic in its approach certainly appeals.

• I agree with Still Can’t Dance but I wonder if they might feel that they are known for big productions and that screens and lights might distract and compensate for Phil being stationary. Would also be strange but not necessarily bad to see a post-Peter gig without double drums.

So they need a re-think at least on that level but then the same could have been said for Phil’s solo tours. Whatever they do I’m sure it will be very well done and good luck to them. For me I’d want a very different set list with new arrangements so we don’t get pale imitations of what went before. I hope they enjoy rehearsing if that’s what they do and then go out with positive finale to what has been a superb career

• Would also be strange but not necessarily bad to see a post-Peter gig without double drums.

Whatever they do I’m sure it will be very well done and good luck to them. For me I’d want a very different set list with new arrangements so we don’t get pale imitations of what went before. I hope they go out with positive finale to what has been a superb career

If we're looking at a line-up suggested by those said to be in rehearsal it will likely make for a different kind of show. Perhaps in turn leading to a different kind of set list, which would be interesting. If they do something, whatever it is will indeed almost certainly be their swan song.

Abandon all reason

• "Every album we do, every tour we do, is described by people around us as 'the last album, the last tour'." So said Mike Rutherford back in in 1986 while the band were touring Invisible Touch. And still here we are. So, while no-one is getting any younger, I wouldn't bank on this being the last outing for the band (if indeed they do go through with what is, at the moment, only a rumour). After all, look at The Stones...

As to where they'll play, who knows? Phil has always seemed the most keen to play in out-of-the-way places over the years. Genesis, less so.

TGA

I'm intrigued to see what they may come up with...

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Wot - no Hackett?

Tony, ya louse.

Steve Hackett has his own Genesis tribute act going on these days. It's no surprise that he isn't involved in this - if indeed these shows are more than just a rumour - as he left the band in 1977.

Tony, Mike and Phil are really the only workable lineup for any future shows. Peter wouldn't commit the last time he was asked and if Steve were a part of the lineup then they wouldn't be playing anything post-Wind And Wuthering.