Reunion Rumour - Unplugged

• A few bits from the band's appearance on BBC radio 2 today for anyone unable to hear it (I sent separate posts as it happened but have piled them into this one, hence the deletions below).

The main trigger for the tour was Banks & Rutherford seeing Collins's show at the London Royal Albert Hall. Seeing Nic drumming got them thinking. They had the conversation and it took shape. Rutherford said "it seemed a natural moment, we're good friends and we're all above grass." He added that it felt good starting to play the Genesis stuff again and that he's missed it. He said the long UK tour is to make up for having played only 2 gigs there in 28 years.

Collins said he is going to try his best to drum on "some bits". They will be working on deciding which "bits". He apologised for his slow faltering speaking, saying he's been ill. he also said they'll be considering songs they haven't done for a while (though technically that could be anything!), and that there are some songs they feel they have to play, or the audience will feel short-changed.

Banks lightheartedly said Nic and Daryl know the material better than he does and he's been having to catch up with them.

Presenter: "I hope you do some full 10-minute versions of epics and I really hope you do The Brazilian!" followed by general groaning laughter. Mike, mock ruefully: "Oh well Tony will be pleased..." Tony: "Yeah I like that one, let's do the Brazilian!"

I Can't Dance was played during the interview, Mama played at the end.

Tickets presale today/tomorrow, general on sale Friday. BBC website coverage reveals the name of the tour as "The Last Domino?"

Abandon all reason

Edited 3 times, last by Backdrifter ().

• Phil sounded a bit rough on the interview. I think they should invite Ray as a backup singer just in case! Great to hear Tony on Radio 2. Looking forward to Newcastle... assuming I can get tickets...

"I'm feeling so confused today
    They've gone and changed the rules again,,,"

• Phil sounded a bit rough on the interview. I think they should invite Ray as a backup singer just in case! Great to hear Tony on Radio 2. Looking forward to Newcastle... assuming I can get tickets...

He did.

Good luck with your tix. I'm definitely trying for Glasgow, maybe London and Belfast.

Abandon all reason

• Haha just got myself 2 tickets at 02 london block b1 row b 3,4 but £187 each is a pisstake really.

Well done, I'm guessing you're an O2 member? Yeah, I'm not surprised at the price. As it's so high I'm thinking of just plumping for one of the packages and make the most of it.

Abandon all reason

• I was quite surprised and intrigued that they decided to do an exclusive UK tour. Never knew they had only played there twice in 28 years, wow. Not much travel and short distances to get the production from city to city is a good thing.

Collins' material is much softer in tone than the Genesis song list specially the older songs sung by PG. It is going to be a tough challenge for Phil, it's no longer 1976 folks. An intermission would be good and could change the makeup of the shows. If Phil endures this rather short tour, most likely a Euro trek will follow. But it is too premature to think of a North american tour at this point.

It is totally natural that Mike and Tony had their reservations about little Nic playing drums. Instead of a backup singer, I would suggest they get a solid backup drummer since it sadly seems Chester has retired.

So let the set list speculations begin. How about a full album performed in its entirety? Say, Duke :)

• Just realised, the '28 years' only makes sense if the CAS tour is edited out of history (final UK show March 1998). Poor Ray Wilson!

I agree an interval would help PC, especially if he's pursuing his intention to drum at least a bit, which together with preparation and maintaining fitness will be a challenge. I too thought they'll see how this tour goes then see about a mainland europe itinerary.

Personally I think a whole-album showcase is unlikely, but with the different line-up and PC's fitness it could be a Genesis setlist unlike any we've seen before, so who knows. The thought wandered through my mind that a chunk of The Lamb might feature, eg the whole of side 1 or something.

Abandon all reason

• I don't see them doing anything with double drumming or anything songs focusing on the drums (like Phil mentioned in the interview). I also doubt they will attempt any of the stronger vocal songs like Mama. That being said, this alone will limit/narrow down their setlist. I would love to see/hear an acoustic set in the show. This could open up new possibilities for some different songs!

• It is totally natural that Mike and Tony had their reservations about little Nic playing drums. Instead of a backup singer, I would suggest they get a solid backup drummer since it sadly seems Chester has retired.

It was actually seeing Nic play drums that inspired Tony and Mike to make the suggestion of him playing with the group in the first place. The only reservation of which I'm aware is when Tony said that he wasn't sure if Nic would want to do it. "Little Nic" indeed :rolleyes:

They don't need another drummer. Nic has just spent the past couple of years carrying the weight of his dad's material on tour. He's eighteen years old. Do you know how old Phil was when he started performing professionally?

• I have no doubts Nic is going to be great with this. He's been great on Phil's solo tours.

The real surprise for me is Phil planning on doing any drumming at all. I'd be perfectly satisfied even if he didn't play, but I'm pleased he's even considering it since I think that implies he's physically feeling a bit better.

I think North American dates must be coming at some point I just hope the mad dash for seats won't be too brutal...

• I have no doubts Nic is going to be great with this. He's been great on Phil's solo tours.

The real surprise for me is Phil planning on doing any drumming at all. I'd be perfectly satisfied even if he didn't play, but I'm pleased he's even considering it since I think that implies he's physically felling a bit better.

I think North American dates must be coming at some point I just hope the mad dash for seats won't be too brutal...

Phil is brave. It was a shame he sounded sick. I hope he will be alright .... alright enough to take this thing to Australia eventually. But I'm sitting here wearing my Land Of Confusion shirt, with my Abacab mug, thinking about that explosion I had after watching Together & Apart & thinking - this can happen.

Here is the Guardian article. The comments are closed. Some of them are remarkably uniformed.

https://www.theguardian.com/mu…nesis-to-announce-reunion

• Official Post

since the rumour is no longer one, I close this thread. Please keep discussing in the general tour thread.