GENESIS - The Last Domino? Tour

• I don’t think they’ll have too many hang ups about doing Hacketty stuff.

I think the bit about mixing him down for Seconds out was a joke (I think English public schools and single sex education lends a certain flavour to banter and they will not have realised the potential hurt - see Mike Rutherford’s book for similar ‘dry’ comments about e.g. Tony’s solo work) and Seconds Out is very blandly mixed all round in my opinion, improved by the most recent half speed 180gm vinyl. It could be that that is the way they sounded on stage then but it is all a bit flabby. Stuff on YouTube from the same tours often sounds more dynamic. I think this time they will end up with a reasonably balanced set, whoever wrote what.

Last time, as well as the obvious hits they seemed to do a lot of Selling, Trick and Duke, which is a fine spine for any set list, so may do so again. I don’t think Phil will mind sitting on stage whilst instrumentals go on in order to ration his vocals and he may play a bit of percussion. Although he’s my favourite drummer I’d hate him to jeopardise his health and the tour by overdoing attempts to drum. I think the five of them is enough and keeps it nice and tight so I wouldn’t want any more on stage. With all the technology at their disposal, hours of catalogue to go at, plus their evident determination to give a good, professional show, whatever they come up with will be worth seeing

• Official Post
  • I was really only listing what I thought was possible given Phil's current abilities, not probable. I agree that Blood On the Rooftops would be a longshot, but it would be doable because the verses are keyed quite low and the chorus goes high in a falsetto kind of way, which he might be able to handle.

I agree it's doable, (excluding the intro, don't let Daryl ruin that!) but it won't happen.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• 1/ BOTR was verses by Hackett, chorus by Hackett and Collins, though it truth, the only part I've actually seen acknowledged as Collins was the title.

2/ I, and I guess MOST Hackett biased fans would agree and acknowledge that Banks is the hinge pin of Genesis, even Steve said if Banks left, Genesis would no longer exist. Banks isn't the barrier, I believe, it's Rutherford, who was behind the commission of Sum of the Parts.

3/ From the man who asked ANOTHER board member for evidence of HIS OWN bias towards Phil Collins! Presumably then, you need evidence for the inner workings of your own mind, so I doubt you'd believe evidence of anything outside it. :/

4/ Just not a fact. If you don't accept Ray's absence as evidence of trying to airbrush him, nothing I could say is going to convince you. For the record, IMO, Ray wasn't a member of Genesis, he was a hired hand, like Chester and Daryl, etc, whether fans choose to accept him as one, based on his appearance on the record, sleeves, promo videos and so on, is a matter for individual opinion, but he was never a member in the same sense as Peter, Steve, Ant, or the early drummers, John and Chris.

Ian

• I would not bet on too many surprises. My guess is we will basically get the 2007 set list minus stuff such as Los Endos, plus some songs that didn't make it into the list back then (In Too Deep, Jesus He Knows Me, That's All...).

• Two things worth pondering on regarding the set list. First I'm sure that the band will be working hard to try and not just duplicate the 2007 set. Secondly this time around there is another Collins in the rehearsal room. Nic may feel that some of the earlier material when his dad was playing (and creating) some unbelivable drumming should really get a look in. I know this maybe just my wishful thinking but I live in hope. At this stage I have sadly ruled out Trespass!!!! but I believe there is still hope for Tony's great theme from Stagnation - maybe he could sneak it into the middle of Invisible Touch.

• I highly doubt the band will do Mama because of the aggressive vocals. I also doubt they will do In Too Deep because Phil had issues hitting the high notes during the last rehearsal for the 2007 tour. That being said, maybe this gives hope to some of the more mellow vocals like Blood On The Rooftops or Undertow, two songs they have never played live. I also wonder if they will try to do something from Abacab since it was left out last time. I'm thinking maybe No Reply At All or Man On The Corner might be rehearsed. This time around there are new possibilities given the new drummer and Phil's changing vocal range.

• I think the instrumental sections would give Phil a breather and also allow him to play some percussion. I think it's safe to say the stuff with double drumming is out for this tour.

• I'm not sure it's as black & white as that. The stuff that had double drumming was double drummed because 2 drummers were available. If they did e.g. Quiet Earth, whereas that was double drummed before, it wouldn't necessarily be therefore off the table. Hackett's done it and managed with one drummer, the same goes for other 70s tracks. As someone said earlier Nic might be wanting to really get his teeth into some of the 70s stuff. If Phil manages to get sufficiently match fit, then as suggested he might be able to do some percussion.

I liked when they had the percussion station in 78 and 80 (was it used before that?).

Abandon all reason

• 1/ BOTR was verses by Hackett, chorus by Hackett and Collins, though it truth, the only part I've actually seen acknowledged as Collins was the title.

Then you need to look again. The chorus was written by Phil and the the verse (and opening section, obviously) by Steve. I'm surprised that you don't know more about the song's composition.

• 3/ From the man who asked ANOTHER board member for evidence of HIS OWN bias towards Phil Collins! Presumably then, you need evidence for the inner workings of your own mind, so I doubt you'd believe evidence of anything outside it

I'm not sure what relevance my conversation with another poster has on any discourse I might have with you (and for the record, I don't know which conversation you're referencing here; clearly you're a bigger fan of my posts than I am) but the rest of your reply indicates an attempt to punch above your intellectual weight and an inability to italicise.

Are you familiar with the film Get Carter? Try on this quote for size: "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself."

• I'm not sure what relevance my conversation with another poster has on any discourse I might have with you (and for the record, I don't know which conversation you're referencing here; clearly you're a bigger fan of my posts than I am) but the rest of your reply indicates an attempt to punch above your intellectual weight and an inability to italicise.

Are you familiar with the film Get Carter? Try on this quote for size: "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself."

A fan of your posts? No. I don't think oysters are fans of sand, but they form pearls to deal with them. As for intellectual weight, I'm surprised you can spell it, but then, I guess The Computer Helps! Personally, I don't believe italics do though, hence why I don't bother with them. If you can't follow a post without them, that's YOUR problem.

If there is ANYONE on this forum unqualified to tell anyone else to behave themselves, it's you. Many members, and the moderators, are very well aware of this. I'd suggest YOU behave, or you won't have a job here at all!

Ian

• All this mention of Blood on the Rooftops: They will never perform it, it's predominantly Hackett, and they don't want to acknowledge him at all, just like Ray Wilson. Remember Sum of the parts?

I think this is incorrect, Sum Of The Parts had an ethos. It was originally going to be part of the Classic Albums series, focusing on The Lamb. But after the meetings between the band / production of the documentary in September 2012. It was decided to concentrate on the 5 man era. Ray was not going to be interviewed once that decision was made.

We should know we worked on some of this documentary, had a few discussions with the director, editor, etc

TGA

• 4/ Just not a fact. If you don't accept Ray's absence as evidence of trying to airbrush him, nothing I could say is going to convince you. For the record, IMO, Ray wasn't a member of Genesis, he was a hired hand, like Chester and Daryl, etc, whether fans choose to accept him as one, based on his appearance on the record, sleeves, promo videos and so on, is a matter for individual opinion, but he was never a member in the same sense as Peter, Steve, Ant, or the early drummers, John and Chris.

For the record, Ray Wilson was a member of Genesis. This was confirmed by Carol Willis when she worked for Hit & Run (Tony Smith Personnel Management), during a few phone calls and emails between 2007/2009.

So Ray Wilson in the eyes of the Genesis management was a member. Ray might not of had the longevity of other members, but from 1996 through to the middle of 1998 he was a member.

John Mayhew, Chris Stewart, Mick Barnard were in the group for a shorter period of time.

Worth considering.

TGA

• I think this is incorrect, Sum Of The Parts had an ethos. It was originally going to be part of the Classic Albums series, focusing on The Lamb. But after the meetings between the band / production of the documentary in September 2012. It was decided to concentrate on the 5 man era. Ray was not going to be interviewed once that decision was made.

We should know we worked on some of this documentary, had a few discussions with the director, editor, etc

TGA

That's fascinating about the intention to do a Lamb edition of the Classic Albums series. What a shame they didn't stick to that idea. It always riles me that they don't get recognition in these various album polls, outside of prog-focused ones. Not that it ultimately matters of course, but all the same. Similarly I'd sometimes thought, there's no chance of a Lamb edition of Classic Albums but there ought to be. So to now discover it was planned, but instead turned into the unsatisfactory documentary we eventually got (despite your good work on it) is frustrating.

Abandon all reason