GENESIS - The Last Domino? Tour

• I know this is blatantly obvious but I'll say it anyway. If booking an overnight stay do it now if you can. Just spent an hour finding a Glasgow hotel for 11 Dec that wasn't charging a small fortune (the ticket price having already made me wince). Not too far from the venue and in the very agreeable district of Finnieston.

Abandon all reason

• So upset that they decided not to come to Wales, tour everywhere else in Britain but two fingers up to Wales, thanks for nothing, absolutely gutted.

• Probably one for the main tour thread. But yes, I was very struck by the omission of Wales when all other British Isles areas are covered. Very strange and a poke in the eye for Wales.

Abandon all reason

• So upset that they decided not to come to Wales, tour everywhere else in Britain but two fingers up to Wales, thanks for nothing, absolutely gutted.

I guess it's all about perspective. When Genesis toured in 2007 the closest show was a six hour drive for me, and I usually travel nine hours for most of the Steve Hackett and Musical Box shows I've been to. My sense of British geography isn't great, but it seems all 15 shows in this entire UK tour could fit into that same 9-hour driving radius... Obviously affording tickets to all of them would be an entirely different matter...

• Official Post

I guess it's all about perspective. When Genesis toured in 2007 the closest show was a six hour drive for me, and I usually travel nine hours for most of the Steve Hackett and Musical Box shows I've been to. My sense of British geography isn't great, but it seems all 15 shows in this entire UK tour could fit into that same 9-hour driving radius... Obviously affording tickets to all of them would be an entirely different matter...

indeed. And last time neither Spain nor Portugal were included ... among many other countries.

On reflection, having shared your surprise at omitting Wales it's dawned on me there's probably a simple explanation, namely capacity. All the arenas they're playing are between 11000-20000 capacity. The one arena in Wales, Cardiff Arena is about 5000 so probably regarded as too small for this tour. Or perhaps it simply wasn't available within the timeline.

I guess it's all about perspective. When Genesis toured in 2007 the closest show was a six hour drive for me, and I usually travel nine hours for most of the Steve Hackett and Musical Box shows I've been to. My sense of British geography isn't great, but it seems all 15 shows in this entire UK tour could fit into that same 9-hour driving radius

Yes I'm guessing that whatever the reason for bypassing Wales, the idea is that both Liverpool and Birmingham will cater for Welsh fans, although that's not going to be ideal for many of them.

Abandon all reason

• In case anyone's interested, it looks like the Belfast show which has just gone on sale doesn't reserve front seats for VIP packages, they are open to general sale.

Abandon all reason

• That's fascinating about the intention to do a Lamb edition of the Classic Albums series. What a shame they didn't stick to that idea. It always riles me that they don't get recognition in these various album polls, outside of prog-focused ones. Not that it ultimately matters of course, but all the same. Similarly I'd sometimes thought, there's no chance of a Lamb edition of Classic Albums but there ought to be. So to now discover it was planned, but instead turned into the unsatisfactory documentary we eventually got (despite your good work on it) is frustrating.

And if they had gone ahead with a documentary on The Lamb, chances are it would have tied-in with a re-release of the album in some sort of deluxe box-set affair, similar to the one that was rumoured to be released a few weeks back but seems to have been forgotten about in the flurry of activity since the annoucement of the new tour. As it stands, we got a partial retrospective on the band's career and the redundant R-Kive three disc set.

• And if they had gone ahead with a documentary on The Lamb, chances are it would have tied-in with a re-release of the album in some sort of deluxe box-set affair, similar to the one that was rumoured to be released a few weeks back but seems to have been forgotten about in the flurry of activity since the annoucement of the new tour. As it stands, we got a partial retrospective on the band's career and the redundant R-Kive three disc set.

They can't get anything right can they!

Yes the documentary turned into neither one thing or another and RKive was a bit nothingy. But hopefully the rumoured super-duper deluxe boxset with its 10-dimensional remaster, pure lambswool cover, nugget of genuine Broadway tarmac, jar of actual sidewalk steam and preserved Headley Grange rat carcass, will indeed be issued despite being forgotten in all the hubbub/brouhaha of the tour.

Yes, that's the one. Clearly I got confused!

Ah, I live in a near-permanent state of confusion these days.

Abandon all reason

• hopefully the rumoured super-duper deluxe boxset with its 10-dimensional remaster, pure lambswool cover, nugget of genuine Broadway tarmac, jar of actual sidewalk steam and preserved Headley Grange rat carcass, will indeed be issued despite being forgotten in all the hubbub/brouhaha of the tour.

:D

• Ray was indeed portrayed as a member of the band, why would they have done it differently? But he has never been a member in the same sense as the others, in that he never had any legal presence in related companies like Gelring Ltd, Fisher Lane Farm Ltd, etc.

At the time of Mayhew, Stewart, Barnard et all, it's doubtful there were any companies to be part of, it was (for the band) all so much simpler then, you joined the band and stayed, or left, no paper trail to be followed. But, once there's big bucks involved, the legal niceties take hold, and you soon discover who is in control, and who does as they're told.

It's no different in other bands, Patrick Moraz was portrayed as a member of the Moody Blues, but once he started acting up, the truth soon came out. He has never appeared in their company documents either. I'm sure there are similar stories in other bands, Yes being one likely example.

Whether you (Personally? Both of you? It's hard to tell from your posts! ;)) choose to accept the legal definition, or the management's claims, is up to you, and, for what it's worth, I liked Ray's input, and much of CAS better than some of the other stuff, but IMO (and, I suspect, Ray's) he was not a full permanent member of the band.

Ian

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I see what you're getting at but personally I take the view that they recruited him, and he was on an album and a tour. To me, he was a member of Genesis, regardless of those legal considerations you mentioned. I think band membership goes beyond those tangibles and whatever appeared or didn't appear on various dotted lines, the band and their management clearly regarded RW as a member of Genesis - I'll take that.

Abandon all reason

• But he has never been a member in the same sense as the others, in that he never had any legal presence in related companies like Gelring Ltd, Fisher Lane Farm Ltd, etc.

I strongly doubt that this is anything other than whimsical conjecture on your part. But even if it were true, what relevance it has to the issue at hand is beyond me.

• I see what you're getting at but personally I take the view that they recruited him, and he was on an album and a tour. To me, he was a member of Genesis, regardless of those legal considerations you mentioned. I think band membership goes beyond those tangibles and whatever appeared or didn't appear on various dotted lines, the band and their management clearly regarded RW as a member of Genesis - I'll take that.

Genesis have never been plagued by the legal issues that other bands have. A band like Yes, for example, where every individual member has their own manager, each wrangling to get a better deal for their client, whilst singing about sunrises onstage, always seemed to me the most ironic of situations. And then you have the Floyd, where Waters tried to take the band to court for daring to carry on without him but not before firing the keyboard player and telling the drummer that he's rubbish.

By comparison, Genesis didn't even have anything more than a gentleman's agreement with manager Tony Smith until 1980, by which point he'd been managing them for seven years.

• I know this is blatantly obvious but I'll say it anyway. If booking an overnight stay do it now if you can. Just spent an hour finding a Glasgow hotel for 11 Dec that wasn't charging a small fortune (the ticket price having already made me wince). Not too far from the venue and in the very agreeable district of Finnieston.

We were on the ball last Wednesday. Whenever the Glasgow date was confirmed we booked rooms at the premier inn next to the Hydro. £39 for a room. Within 3 or 4 hours it was £111.

Well, I did say IMO...……………………….

Ian

• I strongly doubt that this is anything other than whimsical conjecture on your part. But even if it were true, what relevance it has to the issue at hand is beyond me.

Nope, it's all fact, easy to check on Company House website. As for relevance, I suggest you read back over the thread. Apologies, but publicly accessible threads don't have to follow one's personal choice or agenda. Lord knows, I've had to put up with some irrelevant s***!

Ian

• Well, I did say IMO...……………………….

Oh absolutely, I didn't think you were trying to be dogmatically definitive! I completely get that you were stating your O, just as anyone here are giving their Os and indeed in my reply I was just setting out my own O.

Abandon all reason