GENESIS - The Last Domino? Tour

• Yeah it will be interesting. I purposely stayed away from Phil's tour because I was unsure. I don't think I can do the same for a Genesis tour. Let the setlist speculation begin!

• Let the setlist speculation begin!

Indeed. But if I get any tix, once the tour starts I'm off this board and any other place I might see setlist spoilers! I'd want to experience it completely fresh.

But yes meanwhile.... Will NC drumming have any bearing on set choices, I wonder? Ditto PC's intent to do some drumming and deciding which bits he might have a crack at?

Abandon all reason

• Will NC drumming have any bearing on set choices, I wonder? Ditto PC's intent to do some drumming and deciding which bits he might have a crack at?

I'm sure all this will play into it as well as Phil's voice. I do not expect him to tackle things with aggressive vocals like Mama.

• If it was the classic 5 man line up I would be more enthused. Sadly, the 3 man line up peaked 35 years ago and I would rather we remembered them at that time. I know, it's a personal thing and I realise I am fortunate to have seen the band pre and post Peter. However, Phil is physically and vocally past his best so it will be of interest how the classic material sounds. I wish them well and anyone luckily enough and wealthy enough to get a ticket I hope is not disappointed.

• Let the setlist speculation begin!

Well, it must be safe to assume that Domino (Part 1: In the Glow of the Night and Part 2: The Last Domino) will be in the list, ya?

I find it fascinating that part of this song's title is the name of the tour (mostly because it is one of my absolute favorites) - does it mean anything or is it just a catchy way to say, "this *might* be the last ... tour"?

As for other songs, well, I'm expecting more hits than usual--maybe we get the dropped ones from TIOA like In Too Deep (in lower key), That's All (which still sounds good today methinks), and/or perhaps the full Cinema Show (if they key and chords and tunings are figured out).

• This feels like when Led Zeppelin played the O2, I did not feel like I was missing out not only because I couldn't afford it but also because I had seen them in their 1977 heydays and had an incredible time.

With this new Genesis tour, I feel it is no longer the same. Back in 2007 I was very motivated mainly because I had never had the opportunity to bid farewell to my live experiences with Genesis whom I had seen 10 times before. And saw this tour as the perfect chance to seal it with a Golden ribbon and I actually did, fortunately.

Time is unforgiving for us all, the band are older. I am sure Tony and Mike still play flawlessly but Phil: his voice has diminished, no more forehead and knee tambourine bouncing antics, no more drum duets with Chester or much less the "we can't dance" marching along trio.

But if they do it the right way like Steve Hackett does, this tour can be a triumph and as I said before, the makeup and stage show needs to be different. Not necessarily acoustic but to add an intermission, play mostly instrumentals (to allow Phil's voice to rest) and a complete album (even Eagles did this and have sold out everywhere). One more suggestion: add 1-2 players to the ensemble, having only Daryl Steurmer is an outdated formula and needs a shot of new younger blood. Just ask Pete Townshend and Roger Waters.

• I've been thinking more about what might be possible for a setlist, given Phil's current voice. He has lost range since 2007 (which was already lower compared to 1992). His voice is also a lot thinner and not up to the challenge of harder hitting material, given what I have heard from recent shows.

So here are some musings about possible setlist selections, assuming most songs will be keyed down to accommodate his current range, and assuming that "popular" songs will be prioritized. I'm only focusing on songs with vocals as pretty much any instrumental section should be doable.

Fading Lights

Hold On My Heart

Throwing It All Away

In Too Deep

That's All (if he avoids going up the octave and stays low throughout)

Man On the Corner (no octave jump)

No Reply At All (no high bits)

Turn It On Again

Follow You, Follow Me

Blood on the Rooftops

Afterglow

Ripples

Entangled

Carpet Crawlers

Cinema Show

Firth of Fifth

I Know What I Like

Supper's Ready (just the Lover's Leap part probably)

• I'd be more than happy with that set list, especially if the played entangled.

• Of those I reckon the most likely would be

Hold On My Heart

Throwing It All Away

That's All

Turn It On Again

Follow You, Follow Me

Afterglow

Ripples

Carpet Crawlers

Cinema Show (but the usual instrumental cut)

Firth of Fifth (probably the instrumental cut but possibly the whole song)

I Know What I Like

Supper's Ready (Lover's Leap)

Abandon all reason

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “The Last Domino? Tour” to “GENESIS - The Last Domino? Tour”.
  • I'm also cautious about Phil's comment about staying away from songs that spotlight or bring the drumming to the forefront. I think this basically means no songs with double drumming (i.e. Los Endos, Firth Of Fifth?, Second Home By The Sea, etc). Maybe they will come up with a workaround for some of these and switch to single drums? With Phil's voice being in the condition it is, this could open up the possibility of some rare stuff making the list like Blood On The Rooftops or Undertow. Also, I think it's been mentioned elsewhere, but an acoustic section of the show would be nice with things like Lover's Leap from Supper's Ready.

• I'm also cautious about Phil's comment about staying away from songs that spotlight or bring the drumming to the forefront. I think this basically means no songs with double drumming (i.e. Los Endos, Firth Of Fifth?, Second Home By The Sea, etc). Maybe they will come up with a workaround for some of these and switch to single drums? With Phil's voice being in the condition it is, this could open up the possibility of some rare stuff making the list like Blood On The Rooftops or Undertow. Also, I think it's been mentioned elsewhere, but an acoustic section of the show would be nice with things like Lover's Leap from Supper's Ready.

Or simply use a second drummer and free Phil to simply sing.

• All this mention of Blood on the Rooftops: They will never perform it, it's predominantly Hackett, and they don't want to acknowledge him at all, just like Ray Wilson. Remember Sum of the parts?

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• All this mention of Blood on the Rooftops: They will never perform it, it's predominantly Hackett, and they don't want to acknowledge him at all, just like Ray Wilson. Remember Sum of the parts?

Okay, lets have a little reality check here.

Fact Number One: Blood On The Rooftops is as much Phil as it is Steve.

Fact Number Two: It was Tony Banks (the man you Hackett fans think of as the anti-christ) who suggested they play Rooftops when the band last went out on the road.

Fact Number Three: You have no evidence that Genesis don't want to acknowledge their former guitarist.

Fact Number Four: Ray Wilson appeared in Sum Of The Parts.

• I have no recollection of Ray Wilson appearing in Sum of the Parts AT ALL. Al I remember is a brief statement about Phil eventually leaving. If there is a longer version of the doc which includes Ray, I stand corrected. But that is not what I saw.

• I have no recollection of Ray Wilson appearing in Sum of the Parts AT ALL. Al I remember is a brief statement about Phil eventually leaving. If there is a longer version of the doc which includes Ray, I stand corrected. But that is not what I saw.

I wonder which documentary I've seen him in, then, where he talks about getting the call from Tony Smith whilst he's making a drink in his studio? Is that not in Sum Of The Parts?

Incidentally, there's no need to type in capitals; you can italicise the words you want to stress without shouting.

I was really only listing what I thought was possible given Phil's current abilities, not probable. I agree that Blood On the Rooftops would be a longshot, but it would be doable because the verses are keyed quite low and the chorus goes high in a falsetto kind of way, which he might be able to handle.

• I wonder which documentary I've seen him in, then, where he talks about getting the call from Tony Smith whilst he's making a drink in his studio? Is that not in Sum Of The Parts?

Incidentally, there's no need to type in capitals; you can italicise the words you want to stress without shouting.

I saw the TV version. I can only presume the DVD release was longer. If so, how much longer & how much extra material was there? The version I have lasted 90 minutes.

Apologies for capitals. I try & avoid it normally.