[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• My main memory of Wimpy is the time I went in our local one with my mother. There was a tramp sitting asleep at the table nearest the door with an empty cup of coffee. After a while, he suddenly woke, rushed outside and threw up in full view of the customers inside. Lovely! <X

My other main memory of them was they served the best ice cream in the world.

Well at least the tramp had the presence of mind to go outside. Could've done it right where he sat.

Do you mean the plain white ice cream (which is what I think was perched atop the aforementioned Brown Derby)? I did like that.

Abandon all reason

• Well at least the tramp had the presence of mind to go outside. Could've done it right where he sat.

Do you mean the plain white ice cream (which is what I think was perched atop the aforementioned Brown Derby)? I did like that.

Yes, the plain white Ice Cream, we probably couldn't afford the Derby! :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I get that things like "sheets of double glazing" in Domino are hard to sing with conviction and emotion. And "bread bin" is such a mundane object that it too might be tricky....but "undinal"? It fits the melody and timing perfectly and is the perfect word in context of "the siren's call". I'm sure I've heard that Phil won't sing it because be things "undinal" is a word that Tony made up.

Uhhh, this is the same guy who's hit song was Sussudio, yes?

• Well, personally I can't see Phil sing any of the Genesis tracks. His solo tour was ok, but his singing was not. Either that has improved, or we will hear completely different versions.

Besides that, I won't hold my breath - it's a tour without Peter and Steve, so I assume they won't do much from the very early days.

... make tomorrow today!

• Well, personally I can't see Phil sing any of the Genesis tracks. His solo tour was ok, but his singing was not. Either that has improved, or we will hear completely different versions.

Besides that, I won't hold my breath - it's a tour without Peter and Steve, so I assume they won't do much from the very early days.

Phil's voice is certainly not up to the muscular strength of his peak in the early 80s. So I am not sure how he will handle some of the rehearsed songs that have typically required this. However, it is certainly possible we may get renditions that are a bit more soft and gentle, which could suit the way his voice is now.

As for Gabriel-era songs, I would expect them to focus on ones that Phil has sung a fair bit previously on previous tours.

I think I said before, one thing Genesis know how to do is put on a show. Even if Phil's voice isn't what is was it will all be accounted for. This is the world's greatest ever band performing the greatest ever songs live. I have no intention of sitting in judgement about close to the original they manage. That would be boring. It'll be great. If it happens of course. Don't think it will be cancelled , probably postponed.

• I have no intention of sitting in judgement about close to the original they manage.

same here. Although I am pretty sure he won't deliver a top performance (regarding his voice) I am really curious how they will do it!. So let's see and then talk again after the show(s), whenever hey may take place

• same here. Although I am pretty sure he won't deliver a top performance (regarding his voice) I am really curious how they will do it!. So let's see and then talk again after the show(s), whenever hey may take place

Youre right. We'll chat about it in April .Really looking forward to it.

I have seen Rush 3 times . Twice early 80s and clockwork Angels . They were good.i enjoyed them but a bit too perfect for me. Everything just right.and little personality. One of the best shows I've seen was SOTB where they messed up a fair bit. Quite fascinating how they will do it.

• Official Post

I also enjoyed the Collins shows in 2017 and 2019. It was a complete different experience compared to the energy driven Phil during the Trip into the Light tour, but still worth watching, and very emotional as well.

So my favorite band goes out one more time. I would regret not going.

But .... I hope for a good setlist that doesn't sound too much like 2007.

• Looking at available videos from Phil's recent tour dates, his voice is getting better and stronger. Nope, it won't be 1980 Phil Collins but none of us is getting younger. The band secretly got together to "see if it still worked" and decided that it does work. So Phil's singing must be sufficiently good to suit the material they're intending to perform. Maybe that means some songs will be altered in terms of the key or even the feel of the song. But if they felt they weren't able to put on a decent show and sound good, they wouldn't tour.

• Official Post

.... and remember that on Tony's monitor there was "New Duchess" listed, which obviously means they have been working on new versions.

• .... and remember that on Tony's monitor there was "New Duchess" listed, which obviously means they have been working on new versions.

That sounds very interesting indeed! Well, I trust the judgment of my old heroes and I'm curious as to what they will give us this time. It will be different, but as long as the feeling is there my loyalty and appreciation remains.

• I’d love to see them do the second half of Supper’s Ready. Maybe as part of an Old Medley a’la the early shows of the IT Tour. Phil’s voice can’t handle the 666 section anymore, but perhaps they could project the footage from the ATOTT concert film of Phil singing that section as the band plays live on stage? Then Phil could sing the final section “And it’s hey babe” etc live. It shouldn’t be any more of a strain on his voice than Afterglow.

• Official Post

I'd love to hear parts from Supper's Ready, but I am sure about the Apocalypse concept... Nevertheless, I am pretty sure Nic wants to do this, so you never know...

• I’d love to see them do the second half of Supper’s Ready. Maybe as part of an Old Medley a’la the early shows of the IT Tour. Phil’s voice can’t handle the 666 section anymore, but perhaps they could project the footage from the ATOTT concert film of Phil singing that section as the band plays live on stage? Then Phil could sing the final section “And it’s hey babe” etc live. It shouldn’t be any more of a strain on his voice than Afterglow.

ASAEIE is actually quite challenging to sing too - sustained and fairly high notes. Might be possible if they key the whole thing down a 3rd or more. If they do that, then Apocalypse might come more into range as well.

• ASAEIE is actually quite challenging to sing too - sustained and fairly high notes. Might be possible if they key the whole thing down a 3rd or more. If they do that, then Apocalypse might come more into range as well.

That might work for singing it, but poor Tony would have the task of relearning that solo in a new key 😳 Not that he hasn't done it before on In The Cage for example, but that could be a heavier lift.