[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• However we cannot now change the set list!!

Genesis will perform two Epping Forests.

I suggest they could do an instrumental one like 'Dukes End' at song 2 and a fully vocal version with a group of cockney villains helping Phil in the middle of the set.

• It's not two Battles. The first part breaks before The Reverend and segues, somewhat awkwardly it has to be said, into Living. Then immediately after MMM, to relieve the tedium and lift things they go straight into The Reverend and the Battle conclusion.

Abandon all reason

• came across this on YT..apologies if already been posted. A good effort by these guys, with the perfect setlist 😄😄

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

I have posted this "prediction" in our German forum:

Behind The Lines

Duchess

Land of Confusion

Hold On My Heart

Follow You Follow Me

Home By The Sea

Squonk

No Son Of Mine

Mama

Abacab

That’s All

Lover‘s Leap / Dancing With The Moonlit Knight / Your Own Special Way / Fading Lights / Afterglow

Invisible Touch

Watcher Of The Skies (instr.)

Nic Drum solo / The Last Domino

Carpet Crawlers

A couple of things made me think

1) an acoustic part like 1998 might be a nice treat and could include stuff mentioned above

2) Fading Lights might be played as a two verses version only and therefor might fit well in the acoustic set

3) Maybe they only do the second part of Domino

4) Wishful thinking: Why not close with the instrumental of Watcher before the encores?

5) Apocalpyse ... where to put it? Don't think they will play it. Can't see Phil doing the vocals

6) The set would add up to approx two hours. Mike said they won't do longer shows...

What do you think?

• A lot of that looks likely, and happy not to see I Can't Dance 😁

I think you're missing Firth of Fifth which sounds like another one they may be doing, if just the instrumental section as they have done over the years. I agree with the inclusion of Watcher in some capacity. Somehow I see that as a good possibility, and something this setlist desperately needs just to mix things up a bit. I imagine something from the Lamb would slip in as well.

• A shrewd set of guesses and I fear you may be on the right lines. If they wanted to play a set that was truly truly representative of their career it would look very different. I think you are correct on going for a similar spine to the 2007 tour with some town flashbacks. Nic’s drumming is likely to be a highlight so I hope you are right with Watcher. I’d be happy with whatever they come up with, but to be really excited I’d want one or two never performed gems, or very rarely performed gems, and that is understandably unlikely!

• Not sure what ‘town flashbacks’ was meant to be- other than I’m at the wrong (or right) end of a nice bottle of red after an agreeable day with Mrs Lawnmower. I. meant to say odd flashbacks I think. Either way I think you are on the right lines.

• I imagine something from the Lamb would slip in as well.

Well, Carpet Crawlers is there but probably there'll be at least one other.

I fear you may be on the right lines. If they wanted to play a set that was truly truly representative of their career it would look very different.

I agree with your later comment that whatever they do will be great but one or two genuine surprises would be excellent. Yes a truly representative career setlist would indeed look very different in that it would take in stuff from all the albums which isn't necessarily a great idea anyway.

Abandon all reason

• I’m afraid we all have to lower our expectations. The show will only be two hours long, which is 20-25 minutes less than last time. They may throw in three or four tracks they haven’t played last time - but seriously ... apocalypse? No! Watcher? No!

Duchess is realistic, That’s All maybe but even Squonk I find highly unlikely (sadly)

• I think the inclusion of Ripples last time shows they are capable of something unexpected. The presence of Nic increases those odds. My confidence is high there will be something good from the very early years such as Watcher or Apocalypse, or White Mountain.

• Official Post

I think the inclusion of Ripples last time shows they are capable of something unexpected. The presence of Nic increases those odds. My confidence is high there will be something good from the very early years such as Watcher or Apocalypse, or White Mountain.

Nic is a big factor, I agree. Then again, they are Genesis. They always think about what the majority of the audience wants. White Mountain certainly not ;)

• maybe a nod to white mountain or another track from trespass in a medley...but can't see much beyond that. Think Phil and Tony are pretty stubborn on what will and won't play, and probably some comprises along the way

• I think this could be pretty much spot on although I can't see them not playing Throwing it all Away, Turn it on Again or I Dan't Dance. (I really could do without the latter though.)

I do wish Hold on my Heart was replaced by a more underrated gem like Many too Many, for example.

To mix it up a bit, I'd love to see them open with Squonk.

• Just to say, for the sake of variety if nothing else, I don't mind ICD at all. Admittedly, if I ever actually get to one of these gigs and they don't do it I'm not going to be crestfallen or consider the experience ruined, but there are quite a few other songs I'd be relieved they didn't do.

Abandon all reason

• I doubt strongly ICD because Phil is not able to do the 'walk' anymore... which is still a big part of the performance...

Well it was but if they really wanted to play it they still would, I doubt the walk would be a deal-breaker in that sense.

Abandon all reason

• Hi - new to this site so please be gentle and apologies for any typos! I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on the hot topic of the set-list.

Whilst we all have our own preferred set lists, it will undoubtedly be influenced by the following:

1. Phil's mobility - on his recent solo tour he was helped onto the stage to take his place on the 'bar-stool' before welcoming the audience and then launching into Against All Odds. It was undoubtedly a lot more intimate, but far from the 'usual' explosive instrumental opener fans were used to. So, we may be wise to expect the same on the Last Domino tour....maybe starting with Domino (In the Glow of the Night)?

Alternatively.....the band may start loud with a long instrumental (maybe Dukes Intro?) during which, clever stage lighting etc disguise the fact that PC has taken his position at the mic, as it segues into maybe Domino Part 2, or my personal preference for the start of the show Abacab.

2. Phil's ability to drum - whilst there has been word of him trying to practice playing, we can't expect to see the old Phil running back and forth between mic and drums. It's surprising that there doesn't appear to provision for any double-drumming (which in my eyes has always been one of Genesis strong points in live sets) so, in spite of how good Nic is as a drummer (and he is great), this may affect the overall sound a bit, and also affect some of the set list choices.

All that said, if Phil can only drum for a limited time, I can picture it bringing the house down if the band launch into Los Endos to close the main set with both Phil and Nic drumming together.

3. Phil's voice - A lot is obviously made about how well Phil can still sing. I was lucky enough to see his last solo show at RAH London and, admittedly, I was nervous about how he would sound. I'd heard and read some things about the first show in Liverpool and his voice was undoubtedly fragile in places. All I can say is that his voice got stronger through the tour and by the time the RAH London show took place he was really strong - yes, the pitch may have changed a bit, and some of the high notes were a challenge in places, but you really didn't notice after a while. If they have 'backing' singers ( as has been rumoured) to 'help' with vocals on certain songs, this could actually add to the overall performance.

All of the above taken into account, Genesis will want to perform their strongest material they can that appeals to fans from all eras - ideally a kind of "Best of Genesis Live" playlist.

Personally, I'd like them to include some of the 'medley / segues' they've used in the past such as - Lamb...Watcher; 11th Earl...Squonk....Firth of Fifth; Dancing with Moonlit Knight....Musical Box; In The Cage....Cinema Show....Afterglow. If the set was 'built' around these, with other songs scattered around them I'd be happy - this should include some fan favourites as well as the 'hits' - Mama, Carpet Crawlers, Land of Confusion, Invisible Touch, Follow You Follow Me, Duchess (or New Duchess as they're calling it), Driving the Last Spike (a personal favourite), and obviously Supper's Ready (even if only an abridged version (but which part can you leave out?!)) would go down a storm with the audience.

For an encore it would be good to hear Turn It On Again and finishing old-school with I Know What I Like (maybe with The Knife thrown in between for the purists?).