[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• was thinking how unusual it is for a band not play all or part of one of their major songs..ie SR. Most fans who have bought more than the last few albums would probably put it in their top 3 tracks.

Appreciate the length of song has some reason for this but always thought that any medley could start and end with the opening and closing section of the song and would work as bookends

Would be even more apt just for the line...' its it's good to see you again...'

I think what you've said about SR is debatable, possibly a discussion for the Foxtrot thread, but re the appropriateness of that line you've made me think of what would be a fantasy opening. They start gently with Lover's Leap, get to that line, then "... hasn't it" - then BANG! - straight into something loud and uptempo.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• I think what you've said about SR is debatable, possibly a discussion for the Foxtrot thread, but re the appropriateness of that line you've made me think of what would be a fantasy opening. They start gently with Lover's Leap, get to that line, then "... hasn't it" - then BANG! - straight into something loud and uptempo.

True, but isn’t the line “It’s good to feel you again”? Might be a little bit weird hahaha

• Well they could just focus on the next line ""It's been a long, long time, hasn't it?"

Yes then as I said, immediately BOOM! something big and loud crashes in. Or - "... hasn't it" - DINGLE DANG DINGLE DANG DINGLE DANG (ie Dance On A Volcano) or BAAAMMM DAH DAH-DAAAHH (ie Behind The Lines)

(etc)

Abandon all reason

• Yes then as I said, immediately BOOM! something big and loud crashes in. Or - "... hasn't it" - DINGLE DANG DINGLE DANG DINGLE DANG (ie Dance On A Volcano) or BAAAMMM DAH DAH-DAAAHH (ie Behind The Lines)

(etc)

Haha, you misspelled dangle!

I'd personally be happier to hear SR all the way through, but if you were going to mix songs that would be a good way to do it. I like the behind the lines idea. Or dodo!

• Haha, you misspelled dangle!

I'd personally be happier to hear SR all the way through, but if you were going to mix songs that would be a good way to do it. I like the behind the lines idea. Or dodo!

Oh, you reckon it should be DINGLE-DANGLE? Oh man, I always misspell dingle-dangle!

SR straight through would always be a treat although Banks seems not keen. Excellent idea re Lovers Leap* into Dodo, I can imagine it - "... hasn't it" - Bommmm DA-DAAAAHH Bommmm DA-DAAAAHH - yes I like it.

How about "... hasn't it" - BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA (Abacab)

or "... hasn't it" - BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA (Turn It On Again)

* or 'Livers Leap' as my phone attempted to convince me.

Abandon all reason

• good suggestions...bursting into Squonk would probably do it for me. Just think that if were doing a medley ignoring SR would be a shame...rather than sticking to the tried and tested medley songs...

• I personally feel that the set list will mirror what was on the last tour give or take a couple of songs. I don’t expect to see any of the Gabriel era songs apart from those included in the Old Medley and Carpet Crawlers. What would be tremendous for me personally would be for the set to mirror the Three Sides Live album. My own personal favourites I would include “misunderstanding” and “One for the vine” and drop “I Can’t Dance, No Son of Mine and Throwing it all away. I know most here will say that isn’t going to happen but for me it would be great. I do appreciate that folks who haven’t seen them before would expect to see the songs I have mentioned included and feel they would be shortchanged if they weren’t included. Who would be in a group having such a catalogue. As a bands repertoire increases there are always going to be winners and losers. When you go and see a group more than once on any tour there are very rarely any differences in running order or experimentation. I’ve seen Muse loads of times and the shows are more or less identical every time.

Edited 2 times, last by Wayne ().

• Hey, I'm new here as well. I thought this discussion was fascinating. I have my own dream setlists myself, but what we actually know so far about the setlist (spoiler alert) is:

• Hey, I'm new here as well. I thought this discussion was fascinating. I have my own dream setlists myself, but what we actually know so far about the setlist (spoiler alert) is:

Very interesting hints. Having seen the When in Rome concert online, which I haven't seen in years, I thought it was the best setlist of the series. The guys are older but the concert has so many aural and visual highlights with In the cage, Los endos, carpet crawlers etc. They had a 'suprise' in the full length ripples. It also covered a lot of ground in that I think the only albums not represented were foxtrot and Abacab, excluding the first album and CAS. I also liked how they started with a previous standard closer in TIOA... I think as far as having a static setlist for a whole tour that's a model for the best they can do.

Of course even touching 2h40m there are plenty of songs not there that would be great to hear... providing some rationale for my previous ramblings about playing some different songs on different nights. The spoilers point to some interesting choices which would be great to see. My biggest hope of all is that I get to see them. Not sure I'll be in Europe when the gigs are on. Hope they come stateside.

• there was a bit more info in the Prog article

• Greetings from Maryland to my fellow Genesisphiles. I’m new to this site; because I want to respect the wishes of those who wish to keep it dark when it comes to a spoiler song being in the potential setlist I won’t mention it by name. To be clear, this is not my ideal setlist. If I had my way the only thing we’d hear from IT is the full version of T, T, T; the full version of Domino; and Do the Neurotic (hey, a man can dream lol). With that in mind, my “likely“ setlist is:

Abacab

No Son of Mine

Land of Confusion

Dancing with the Moonlight Knight (intro)

Carpet Crawlers

Follow You, Follow Me

Spoiler
    Misunderstanding

Domino I and II

Throwing it All Away

Mama (possibly dropped if Phil can’t handle it vocally; If dropped ICD is slotted here).

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight/Invisible Touch

I Can’t Dance

Percussion Duet/Los Endos

Encores:

Turn it on Again

The Lamb/Musical Box (would love it if they did the Lamb/Watcher circa 1982 but it ain’t happening).

• The song list from the tour FB page. Given as rehearsed songs. No SR, which doesn't fit with the the Prog article. Internet chit chat, nothing more. Same as everywhere else.