[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• In a way it is a shame that Genesis is a band which doesn't do fluid set lists. There are all sorts of pros and cons, but if they are of the opinion that most fans are there for the familiar 80s and early 90s hits, with maybe 20-25 minutes of "old stuff"....rotating a few songs would be a workable way to get more older material done live one last time. Then the whole lot could be released on a live album/DVD/BD featuring everything. I don't have a ticket for a show but I wouldn't be disappointed missing FoF if I got Dance on a Volcano or the whole of Cinema Show instead...for example.

I once had this admittedly rather hair-brained idea that they could do a different side of The Lamb every night.

But that's not how Genesis have ever really done things. They might remove one song they feel isn't working after the initial UK/IRL concerts.

Thinking of medleys and how I generally don't like them, one exception is the "lamb stew" type. They could do a "Lamb casserole" stitching together some musical and lyrical highlights of The Lamb in a 15 minute chunk. Fly On A Windshield would sound awesome in an arena. Let of steam doing a bit of Evil Jam....bookended with the title track and Carpet Crawlers for familiarity. The other exception is Duke Ellington's famous medley which he performed in the 50s and 60s.

BTW I do agree with the band's assessment that much of the audience expects to hear the hits. Despite personally knowing what it feels like to be surrounded by 60,000 people chanting "me, I'm just a lawnmower" I think that for every fan such as myself who might wet themselves with joy if they launched into Hogweed or Stagnation, there'd be three others who would zone out. The Musical Box can fill the Royal Albert Hall for one night...Steve Hackett can do theatre tours based on old Genesis material and the better tribute bands can fill places like Shepherds Bush Empire for a couple of nights but not large arenas day after day.

• Well....Nic Collins gave an interview in February where he specifically talks about rehearsing Mama, HBTS, Carpet Crawlers and......Apocalypse In 9/8.

Said they'd rehearsed 40 songs of which about 25 made it into the final set.

• Well....Nic Collins gave an interview in February where he specifically talks about rehearsing Mama, HBTS, Carpet Crawlers and......Apocalypse In 9/8.

Said they'd rehearsed 40 songs of which about 25 made it into the final set.

Oof... Some people don't like spoilers (I'm not one of them!).

25 songs is a lot. I thought they were doing two hour shows. That's just under five minutes a song. Which means a lot of short songs, a lot of medleys, or a segment (likely at the end of a medley) where they play twenty seconds each of about twelve different songs. OR.... Different setlists each night! DUN... DUN.... DUN!!

• Apocalypse in 9/8 is a surprise. That is a challenge to sing - high and hard. Phil had difficulty back on the IT tour 25 years ago. So they must be shifting the key down a lot.

Unless this is where the backup singers come in... Would be kinda creepy hearing multiple singers do that section.

• If they play Apocalypse in 9/8 it will make my year. But given Phil’s issues back in 1986 with belting out the higher parts (“blowin’” and “lyrics”) I’m kinda doubting it, unless they go all instrumental with it and skip the entire vocal section (is that a literal musical example of sacrilege?)

• If they play Apocalypse in 9/8 it will make my year. But given Phil’s issues back in 1986 with belting out the higher parts (“blowin’” and “lyrics”) I’m kinda doubting it, unless they go all instrumental with it and skip the entire vocal section (is that a literal musical example of sacrilege?)

Or is this when Gabriel enters the stage and makes his secret cameo?

• I would not want to hear a back-up singer version. A Gabriel-sung version I can dream about - a one-off cameo is at least remotely possible, though it won't happen in my neck of the woods. I'll take the instrumental section as part of a medley.

• It's unlikely they'll choose it but if they could perform Undertow that would be really good. They always snubbed that song, never once performing it live.

It was always one of my favorites from that album and I would love to hear it live, but i think they are more likely to play dark side of the moon (in it's entirety). For some reason, I can see them giving many too many a whirl just to excite the long term fans, but undertow I put in the same bucket as seven stones in terms of probability.

• It was always one of my favorites from that album and I would love to hear it live, but i think they are more likely to play dark side of the moon (in it's entirety). For some reason, I can see them giving many too many a whirl just to excite the long term fans, but undertow I put in the same bucket as seven stones in terms of probability.

Are Pink Floyd Guesting? Wow! Must get a ticket.

But, seriously...... Mad Man Moon, right? ;)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• don't think the bookies are offering any odds of a Floyd reunion along with a Genesis reunion....especially on the same bill! ..although if did then could also add Against all Odds to the setlist

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “GENESIS 2020 setlist discussion” to “GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion”.
  • Hello everyone,

New French member and first post here...

I tried to stay "reasonable" for this proposition, and to have each album illustrated by at least one part of a song, except for CAS (sadly, because I think we should all reconsider the songs on this album).

Here is what I came up with :

Eleventh Earl of Mar (very unlikely, but it's a great opener, a little bit forgotten I think, so why not ?)

Land of Confusion (in these current times, it would be highly relevant, and since I saw the giant screen visuals on the Youtube rehearsal teaser, I think it applies to this song)

Duchess (New Duchess ?)

Home By The Sea (we heard the rehearsal on the BBC podcast, so...)

Follow You Follow Me

The Musical Box (again, very unlikely, but since it's probably their last tour and because it is a classic masterpiece...)

Keep It Dark (I had to find a song for the Abacab album, I chose that one, I couldn't think of anything else, apart from maybe Man on the Corner)

Many Too Many (They did have the project of finally playing it, so...)

Domino (of course)

Dance On A Volcano (with live ending in A Major) > The Cinema Show solo (same key of A Major, it should work) > Robbery, Assault and Battery (last part of the solo) or Duke's Travels ending > Afterglow

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway > Supper’s ready (Apocalypse solo -beginning in E Major just like The Lamb ! - and Supper's Ready ending)

I Can’t Dance (it would be a great pun intended since Phil really can't dance anymore, anyway...)

Invisible Touch

**** (applause & encore 1)

I Know What I Like

**** (applause & encore 2)

The Knife (short 1980 version)

What do you think of it ?

• I would enjoy this very much. I think some of the choices are *extremely* unlikely (earl, keep it dark) but you never know. If the band plays true to form, they'll throw in snippets of songs here and there. What would blow me away would be if they strutted onstage and opened with Eleventh Earl of Mar one night, then walked out and opened with Watcher the next night, Squonk on another night.

I would have thought the title track from Abacab would be most likely, unless man on the corner is a much easier proposition for them given Phil's condition.

I like your comment about CAS. It is firmly one of my favorite Genesis albums.

• Hello. First post from a new guy here.

I'm in Atlanta GA with my fingers crossed that they'll play at least a small selection of shows in the US sometime in late 2021 or 2022. Most likely I'll have to settle for the next When In Rome/Come Rain Or Shine collection, and that's OK. Any band that's still playing live after 50 years is extraordinary.

My big hope is that they'll drop a few songs that they've played a million times to make room for others. At least one song (or even a segment) from every album going back to Trespass would be great. I'm not holding my breath for Dodo/Lurker or Entangled or Digby. I just want a mix of the usual hits plus some surprises, the audience singing along with Phil on every chorus and high part.

If they were to live-stream one of their last shows in the UK, this is something that I'd happily pay to see.

Waiting Room (during walk on) / Dance on a Volcano

Misunderstanding

Abacab

That's All

Land of Confusion

Hold On My Heart

Home By The Sea (only the first one)

Follow You Follow Me

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Musical Box ending)

In The Cage / Cinema Show (instrumental) / Watcher of the Skies (outro)

Many Too Many

Mama

Domino

Phil and Nic drum duet / In That Quiet Earth / Apocalypse in 9/8 / As Sure as Eggs Is Eggs (Phil: "And it's..." The entire audience sings along from "HEY, BABE!" to "JERUSALEM!")

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (short version) / Invisible Touch

1st Encore

I Can't Dance (Phil does "the walk" all the way to his chair during the intro, and then he does it again for a minute at the end, crowd goes wild both times)

Turn It On Again

2nd Encore

Phil: "Some old friends are here with us tonight.....Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel."

(5 minutes of deafening cheers, applause, stomping and chanting "GEN-E-SIS! GEN-E-SIS! GEN-E-SIS!")

Lover's Leap ("It really has been a long time.....Hasn't it?")

Dancing With The Moonlit Knight (excerpt) / Carpet Crawlers

I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) / Stagnation (outro)

(Band takes a bow, walks off, comes back 5 minutes later)

Peter: "Well, as long as we're all here we might as well play it one more time.......THE KNIFE!!!"

I'm sure we'll probably get something closer to the set from 2007, but a man can dream.

• Any chance 'Jesus He Knows me' will be on the setlist ?

The lyrics maybe a little controversial tbh

What way do you mean? I'd like to hear it tbh, I think it's one of their better short(ish) rock songs. It has great energy, I love how it starts off in this goofy major key and then suddenly shifts minor (I think) and takes off. I also think they nailed it with the whole TV evangelist thing.

• What way do you mean? I'd like to hear it tbh, I think it's one of their better short(ish) rock songs. It has great energy, I love how it starts off in this goofy major key and then suddenly shifts minor (I think) and takes off. I also think they nailed it with the whole TV evangelist thing.

talking more about it been a dig at religion of sorts

Love the song myself