[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• I've revised my setlist prediction.

I now predict they will open with Tonight, Tonight, Tonight. A slower, moodier start...

1. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

2. Abacab

3. No Son Of Mine

4. Land Of Confusion

5. Old Medley (Squonk, Musical Box, Supper's Ready, Afterglow)

6. Follow You Follow Me

7. Home By The Sea

8. Duchess

9. Misunderstanding

10. That's All

11. Firth Of Fifth / I Know What I Like

12. Mama

13. Throwing It All Away

14. Domino

15. Fading Lights

16. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

17. Invisible Touch

18. Turn It On Again

• Official Post

I think Turn It On Again, while it may be a predictable choice, would really get the audience going & say ' Genesis are back'!

Wasn’t turn it on again the opener in ‘07? I love the beginning of the Sum of the Parts documentary, 50,000 strong in Helsinki, cheering for them, gives me chills every time I watch it. When Tony gives Phil that look before they take the stage and mouths something like “Let’s do it”. Phil looks primed and ready. Just awesome.

• My money is on Tonight, Tonight, Tonight...

Phil's last solo tour started with Against All Odds, instead of an obvious uptempo number. Genesis may do the same. A different flavor than the last couple tours.

I don't see Land Of Confusion again, being that it opened in '92. And Turn It On Again opened in '07 (after the instrumental 'Duke's Intro').

Tonight x3 would be a good way for Phil to ease into the show. Plus it's one that everyone knows.

A nice video intro, and then:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Wasn’t turn it on again the opener in ‘07? I love the beginning of the Sum of the Parts documentary, 50,000 strong in Helsinki, cheering for them, gives me chills every time I watch it. When Tony gives Phil that look before they take the stage and mouths something like “Let’s do it”. Phil looks primed and ready. Just awesome.

No, they opened with an instrumental version of Behind The Lines in 07.

I’m leaning towards Duchess this time around but I’d love it if it was Squonk. That was the first song I ever saw Genesis perform live, and to come full circle some 40+ years later would be a real treat.

Edited once, last by Ericm ().

• No, they opened with an instrumental version of Behind The Lines in 07.

I’m leaning towards Duchess this time around but I’d love it if it was Squonk. That was the first song I ever saw Genesis perform live, and to come full circle some 40+ years later would be a real treat.

I'd like this too. But I can't see it happening. I'm guessing Behind the Lines, or a distant second wild card guess is The Lamb Lies Down.

I'd also love if they walked on stage, fearless, and blasted out the opening chords of Watcher of the Skies but that definitely ain't gonna happen. I think they'd worry half the crowd would be gone three minutes in. Who knows, maybe they'd be right.

• I think Turn It On Again, while it may be a predictable choice, would really get the audience going & say ' Genesis are back'!

I like that idea.

I saw Tears for Fears 2 years ago. They opened with Everybody Wants to Rule the World, which i thought was a pretty gutsy move. But also very confident.

TIOA would be a great opener

• When the tour gets on its way, this or a new thread that does have the set list will have *SPOILER ALERT*?

I really like to be surprised. I know that is hard in this day and age, but I was able to hold back most of the set list in 2007 and was surprised with a few songs.

• When the tour gets on its way, this or a new thread that does have the set list will have *SPOILER ALERT*?

I really like to be surprised. I know that is hard in this day and age, but I was able to hold back most of the set list in 2007 and was surprised with a few songs.

Me too. I hate setlist spoilers, so if/when the UK shows actually happen, I'll be staying away from here for a bit.

I still remember my surprise and delight in 2007 when they launched in Behind the Lines in Manchester.

And when they played Ripples, by brain pretty much melted.

• Me too. I hate setlist spoilers, so if/when the UK shows actually happen, I'll be staying away from here for a bit.

I still remember my surprise and delight in 2007 when they launched in Behind the Lines in Manchester.

And when they played Ripples, by brain pretty much melted.

I agree, though in 07 I was on a Genesis forum and accidentally clicked into a setlist thread and saw the opening words "Behind The Lines" before clicking back out while throwing my hand over my face and screaming "Daaaaah! My eyes! My eyes!"

Incidentally, there was a right tosser on that board who took exception to anyone expressing the desire to avoid spoilers and asking there be a setlist spoilers thread for easy avoidance. He said, such people were in a minority so why should they be pandered to, they should just avoid the forum altogether!

He might've partly had a point - even with a dedicated set spoilers thread you can't avoid the possibility of some people blurting out set details in any thread. (But he was still a twerp).

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Once the tour starts, we will have a separate thread with the actual setlists - this will be clearly marked and the spoiler option should be used when posting

• Hi guys. I realize that this might come off as a slight rant..... Like many of you, I've been a fan of Genesis for a long time (45 years or so in my case) and I've seen the band live on many tours since '77. Genesis has always and will always be my favorite band. I remember first hearing WOTS in the fall of '75 and being completely blown away. I also understand that the band is almost "2 bands" with the '70s adventurous stuff on one end and the more accessible pop stuff of the '80s/'90s on the other end (yes, that's an oversimplification). However, one thing that's always gnawed at me about Genesis is a certain disregard for their history in their setlists (especially on the last 2-3 tours). They always play it super safely. Many other prog bands will play their "classics" realizing that this is what many fans want to hear. I'm certainly not advocating a '70s setlist which is complete lunacy but would it kill Genesis to reserve 30-45 minutes of a 2+ hour show for those earlier tunes? That's probably 4-5 songs that they could pick from that really innovative time in their history. I'm not a fan of medleys at all; I'd rather hear 2 songs in full rather than a medley containing snippets of 5-6. Early Genesis is so melodramatic that just picking bits feels "cheap". Banks mentioned having to play the hits (or something to that effect). I don't get that. I would venture to guess that in 2021, at least half of the audience in any of these Genesis strongholds that they'll be playing in would want to hear some representation of '70s stuff, not just '80s pop. Many of the fair-weather fans have long left the band (the bandwagon jumpers in the '80s/early '90s). As far as the setlist goes, I'm basically expecting 2007 with perhaps a few tweaks. Yes, Nic Collins mentioned or alluded to things like 9/8 and WOTS but in the same breath, he also mentioned that those songs did not make it to the final setlist ("the more complicated bits"). I'm happy to attend a show in December as it's my chance to bid a fond farewell to a band that's been at my side for a long, long time. That being said, a better "history of" type setlist would go a long way to closing the loop. My opinion. Take care.:)

• Honestly I love the idea of them strutting onto the stage, well Phil doing his best to strut....and launching into Watcher....but it's not going to happen. As the poster above says, Nic seems to have stated that Watcher was rehearsed and didn't make the cut.

Therefore I'm wondering about songs which we know are in the set (from Nic) or are likely to make it and which would be good openers.

Behind The Lines was excellent for TIOA in 07. They could launch with this and segue into Duchess (or "new Duchess")

Abacab - it's a stonking track as heard on 3SL and would be a ballsy openener

Land Of Confusion - Appropriate for these strange times we find ourselves in

Or something less ballsy, to give Phil's pipes a chance to warm up and the musicians a chance to limber up their fingers?

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight is certainly in this category.

Carpet Crawlers? Not obvious, and therefore an intriguing choice

• Art’s fantasy....

The mellotron kicks on in the dark....

Watcher of the Skies! Peter’s there!! Steve’s there!! This is why the tickets are so expensive!

Get Em Out By Friday!

Cinema Show!

Lamia!

Chamber of 32 Doors

Colony of Slipperman (the STD costume still fits!)

Firth of Fifth

Peter waves!! The people are ecstatic! Steve bows...

Phil grabs the mic

Abacab

Throwing it All Away

Invisible Touch

That’s All

Hold on my Heart

Dance on a Volcano

Peter and Steve come back out! Encore! Musical Box!
    Suppers Ready!!

You’ve been a lovely audience, good night!!

Now I have a better chance of growing my hair back and seeing Jon Anderson at a steakhouse hugging Jon Anderson as they discuss a reunion than this happening! But hey, it’s my dream! :P:P8o

• Official Post

I secretly hoped for something like this too Art, that maybe Peter is touring with the group, and they are keeping it on the DL. That would be wild! Don’t know what Phil would do though, while Peter is singing. Silly fantasy!

• For UK attendees (especially London), I don't think it's impossible that Steve and/or Pete could do a 1-song appearance. Pete has done it several times, albeit in the late '70s. Since this is the last hurrah, who knows? And Peter did do a brief snippet of Dancing Out with the Moonlit Night on his tour with Sting. It's ok to dream....