[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• Although Behind the Lines works great as an opener, they may not choose that again given that it opened the 2007 tour.

Invisible Touch strikes me as a possibility for an opening song. It's upbeat and well-known, so while various of us on this board might groan inwardly, much of the audience might be energized. Phil was also doing it on his recent tour, so we know he was comfortable singing it (in a lower key).

• Invisible Touch strikes me as a possibility for an opening song. It's upbeat and well-known, so while various of us on this board might groan inwardly, much of the audience might be energized. Phil was also doing it on his recent tour, so we know he was comfortable singing it (in a lower key).

True, IT could be an opener and true again that would be much to the dismay of many fans. I reckon though it doesn't really matter anymore. It's their last go at it, people should just enjoy it.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• Abacab hasn't made the cut in ages. It's unlikely it will resurface now.

I thought Nic said they were rehearsing Abacab at one point? Even if I am recalling that correctly it dosen’t necessarily mean that Abacab made it into the final show. One thing to keep in mind tho is that while it’s been 35 years since they played abacab, that was only 2 tours ago for this lineup of Genesis (3 if you include CAS). And of all the “long dead” songs that Genesis could revive, Abacab is pretty likely because it was a hit (peaking at #9 in the UK & #26 in the US)

• I thought Nic said they were rehearsing Abacab at one point? Even if I am recalling that correctly it dosen’t necessarily mean that Abacab made it into the final show. One thing to keep in mind tho is that while it’s been 35 years since they played abacab, that was only 2 tours ago for this lineup of Genesis (3 if you include CAS). And of all the “long dead” songs, Genesis could revive Abacab is pretty likely because it was a hit (peaking at #9 in the UK & #26 in the US)

I'd be surprised if it doesn't appear (and I hope it does, I love it). They have to bring something different to the table than 2007 and I see it as low hanging fruit to some extent. If they do play it, it will be a little sad to see Phil sit out the instrumental part. I guess this will be true of lots of their songs.

• I don't see IT as a show opener. While this is theoretically a tour in which they could throw away the rule book to some extent - or at least tear a few pages out of it - IT is well established as a near-the-end-of-the-show number and it's most likely they'll stick with that.

Whatever they open with, in huge arenas there will statistically be some people 'dismayed' at the opening number. If they kicked off with Watcher, there'd be people frowning and thinking "what the f....?"

Abandon all reason

• I thought Nic said they were rehearsing Abacab at one point? Even if I am recalling that correctly it dosen’t necessarily mean that Abacab made it into the final show. One thing to keep in mind tho is that while it’s been 35 years since they played abacab, that was only 2 tours ago for this lineup of Genesis (3 if you include CAS). And of all the “long dead” songs that Genesis could revive, Abacab is pretty likely because it was a hit (peaking at #9 in the UK & #26 in the US)

You are right, everything is on the table and any song could be revived. I was always surprised they dropped Abacab, speaking of openers it could be one, it's an obvious live number, it was a minor hit and fans, seems to like it, not me, I've always thought there's nothing to it and it wore out its questionable charm pretty quickly. One redeeming quality was Phil's vocals, he was in top form and could sing the telephone book back then. It's different now of course.

• the instrumental end to Abacab is one of my favourite live tracks..as on 3sides live and other boots. Would be great to hear it again, although don't see as an opener

By the time of its final live run on the IT tour it had become a great surging performance piece with real buzz and energy. They'd nicely loosened it up while also preserving some of the spiky staccato nature of the original. It'll lack the dual drum interplay but I'm sure it'll survive that. I wouldn't rule it out as an opener but like you I'll be pleased wherever it is in the set if it's included.

Abandon all reason

• the instrumental end to Abacab is one of my favourite live tracks..as on 3sides live and other boots. Would be great to hear it again, although don't see as an opener

I'm actually curious to see whether ANYTHING from Abacab will be included in the setlist at all. I should go back and check but I believe that together with ATTW3, with the exception of FYFM, it is the least represented album live. I'm obviously not including prehistoric albums .

• I'm actually curious to see whether ANYTHING from Abacab will be included in the setlist at all. I should go back and check but I believe that together with ATTW3, with the exception of FYFM, it is the least represented album live. I'm obviously not including prehistoric albums .

Beyond Abacab, I could see them doing Man On the Corner as most of it is gentle and well within Phil's current range. He would just have to not do the aggressive octave jump towards the end..

• Official Post

True but wouldn't that just damage the song to the point that there's no point in performing it?

Now I know there are forum members here who have seen Phil recently on his Not Dead Yet tour and know much better than I, but are we getting a little crazy with predicting how frail Phil will be? I feel like we’re making it out to be that he’s like China (no put intended). I know he’s been sick, but he has to be in somewhat formidable shape to endure a lengthy tour such as this one. Otherwise I don’t think they would be attempting it. I think Phil is more durable than is being portrayed.

• Now I know there are forum members here who have seen Phil recently on his Not Dead Yet tour and know much better than I, but are we getting a little crazy with predicting how frail Phil will be? I feel like we’re making it out to be that he’s like China (no put intended). I know he’s been sick, but he has to be in somewhat formidable shape to endure a lengthy tour such as this one. Otherwise I don’t think they would be attempting it. I think Phil is more durable than is being portrayed.

I don't know about others and I have no data on his health conditions , I'm only talking about his voice which is beyond frail.

• Official Post

I don't know about others and I have no data on his health conditions , I'm only talking about his voice which is beyond frail.

I was speaking in generalities and using your quote as an example. All of us make it to be that he is made of glass, his voice, his body. We know he’s not drumming anymore. Let’s see how he starts out the tour, we may all be pleasantly surprised.

• I was speaking in generalities and using your quote as an example. All of us make it to be that he is made of glass, his voice, his body. We know he’s not drumming anymore. Let’s see how he starts out the tour, we may all be pleasantly surprised.

To be clear, when I think about this tour, Phil is the one I'm the happiest for. I have no appetite for it but I love seeing him up and about with his mates, doing something he loves. He's been through quite a lot and on a personal level I'm thrilled he's still out there. That said, on a musical level, he simply doesn't have it anymore, not enough a reason for many not to go and see them and I'm happy about that too, I wish them all the success they deserve but let's not kid ourselves please.

• Official Post

To be clear, when I think about this tour, Phil is the one I'm the happiest for. I have no appetite for it but I love seeing him up and about with his mates, doing something he loves. He's been through quite a lot and on a personal level I'm thrilled he's still out there. That said, on a musical level, he simply doesn't have it anymore, not enough a reason for many not to go and see them and I'm happy about that too, I wish them all the success they deserve but let's not kid ourselves please.

Fair enough. For me, this is the first time I’m seeing them live, so I’m not trying to be unrealistic, but I don’t want to go to the concert just to see him pal around with his “mates”. For that I could sit at home and watch the Invisible Touch video. I want to see good music.

• Fair enough. For me, this is the first time I’m seeing them live, so I’m not trying to be unrealistic, but I don’t want to go to the concert just to see him pal around with his “mates”. For that I could sit at home and watch the Invisible Touch video. I want to see good music.

What can I say? If you are expecting the songs to be performed the way they should or it used to be, that is not going to happen but who knows? Perhaps they can still pull off something good, they've always been respectful of their audience and I know that limitations are there but I'm sure they'll give their best. Be as it may, I hope you and everybody else truly enjoy it, the fact that I don't care for it is completely irrelevant. I only begin to have a problem when some fans start saying that it was just like before, I saw several videos of Phil's tour and the comments were disheartening, either that or people are tone deaf.

• Fair enough. For me, this is the first time I’m seeing them live, so I’m not trying to be unrealistic, but I don’t want to go to the concert just to see him pal around with his “mates”. For that I could sit at home and watch the Invisible Touch video. I want to see good music.

Don't worry about Captain Cheerful there. This'll be your Genesis Live moment and you will enjoy it :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Abandon all reason