[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• Official Post

I've never been more serious in my life 8o. Actually I think they could work Whodunnit into Battle, in between two of the sections, to make a sort of Battle of Whodunnit Forest medley.

That would be outstanding! See this is why I love this forum, I get to take a break from my reality to discuss the greatest band in the world. A Battle of Whodunnit Forest Medley, Genius!

• I’m sitting here trying to figure out how much “gap time” the band will have available given the fact that a) Rutherford has said the aim is for a 2 hour setlist, and b) the band sees certain songs as falling into the “must play” category. In that category I identified the following songs: Land of Confusion; No Son of Mine; TTT circa 2007/Invisible Touch (assuming Phil’s voice can handle the vocals in TTT); Throwing it All Away; Follow You, Follow Me; Domino I and II; HBTS/SHBTS; Carpet Crawlers (it’s fairly easy on Phil’s voice and he loves that song); I Can’t Dance ; Los Endos (I’m praying it’s in the set but they’ve never played it on stage with just one drummer). If you throw song intros and banter in as close as I can figure that leaves 40-45 minutes or so for other material. Based on the promo vids and other sources it seems that Behind the Lines and perhaps Squonk may be in the offing. Abacab has been suggested as well (I guess based on some comments made by Nic Collins, though doing the instrumental outro with a single drummer would potentially rob the song of much of its power live). Assuming those were all played in their entirety (a big assumption I know) that would leave about 20 minutes or so. If we subtract time for the break between the main setlist and the encore(s) that would seem to leave 15-16 minutes. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a) whether this list as I’ve given seems likely and if not where I may be off base; and b) what might fill that 15-16 minute gap.

Moonlit Knight,

I too listed all those songs above as pretty much definitely based on all the available information as well as knowing their past tendencies and what they feel are their strongest hits/stage songs and feel most proud of. List Hold on my heart, Turn it on again and Mama as well. I know that we are making a broad assumption but I really think that they will play most of not all of these. If so there is very little time for anything else outside of a 15 to 20 minute medley which would probably include the instrumentals Cinema show and or Firth of fifth and maybe one or two surprise tracks. I mean the set list kind of writes itself. I think we all feel that they are not very adventurous when it comes to a set. I really loved the 2007 tour and thought it was they right kinda of set and balance for that particular lineup. I would hope that it would be different enough this time but realistically I don’t know how.

• I’m sitting here trying to figure out how much “gap time” the band will have available given the fact that a) Rutherford has said the aim is for a 2 hour setlist, and b) the band sees certain songs as falling into the “must play” category. In that category I identified the following songs: Land of Confusion; No Son of Mine; TTT circa 2007/Invisible Touch (assuming Phil’s voice can handle the vocals in TTT); Throwing it All Away; Follow You, Follow Me; Domino I and II; HBTS/SHBTS; Carpet Crawlers (it’s fairly easy on Phil’s voice and he loves that song); I Can’t Dance ; Los Endos (I’m praying it’s in the set but they’ve never played it on stage with just one drummer). If you throw song intros and banter in as close as I can figure that leaves 40-45 minutes or so for other material. Based on the promo vids and other sources it seems that Behind the Lines and perhaps Squonk may be in the offing. Abacab has been suggested as well (I guess based on some comments made by Nic Collins, though doing the instrumental outro with a single drummer would potentially rob the song of much of its power live). Assuming those were all played in their entirety (a big assumption I know) that would leave about 20 minutes or so. If we subtract time for the break between the main setlist and the encore(s) that would seem to leave 15-16 minutes. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a) whether this list as I’ve given seems likely and if not where I may be off base; and b) what might fill that 15-16 minute gap.

They could always skip No Son of Mine and I Can't Dance, and add that time to the 15-16 minutes to maybe give us what we all really want.....full length Suppers Ready?!!

We live in hope!!

• Battle of Epping Forest + Whodunnit

The Whodunnit in the Battle of Epping Forest, why Liquid Len of course.

I have a feeling Genesis is not going to do Home By The Sea 1/2.

My wishful songs:

Squonk

Robbery Assault & Battery

Entangled

Fly on a Windshield/Broadway Melody Of 1974

Carpet Crawlers

Blood on the Rooftops

In the Quiet Earth

Afterglow

Eleventh Earl of Mar

Cinema Show

Who Dunnit?

Man On The Corner
    And all of of Duke

• Official Post

Guilty!

• What I think it'll be:

Abacab

Squonk

No Son of Mine

Follow you Follow Me

Home by the Sea

Second Home by the Sea

Hold on my Heart

Firth of Fifth

I Know What I Like

<interval>

Dukes Intro

Turn it on Again

Land of Confusion

Mama

Throwing it all Away

Domino

Tonight Tonight Tonight

Invisible Touch

I Can't Dance

Los Endos (+ Nic drum solo)

Encore

Fading Lights

The Carpet Crawlers

• I know it's unlikely, but I think it'll be a massive shame if Steve and Peter don't play at least a part.

Heck, even David Gilmour and Nick Mason played at one of Roger Waters The Wall gigs in 2010 and they despise each other!

Options:

• Peter and Steve to join in on a full rendition of Supper's Ready as the encore. Phil could sing the majority of the song and then Peter could appear unannounced to sing 'Guards of Magog' onwards with Steve's iconic guitar playing us out. Epic.
    • Peter and Steve join in for I Know What I Like, Carpet Crawlers or The Knife as an encore.
    • Phil says "here's one we really should have played live but never did" and Steve appears to play Blood on the Rooftops before segueing into In That Quiet Earth and Afterglow to end the main set.

Why not?

I cant see them doing I can't dance because they cant do the walk together. Follow you, follow me was used to give Chester a break and a chance for Phil to play on his own, so I cant see that one either. Unless of course Phil is gonna attempt to play drums then that would be a relatively easy one to play.

• I’d be perfectly happy if they skip I Can’t Dance. As for Follow You, Follow Me, Phil has performed it at solo shows in recent years and an acoustic version was played during the CAS stations. It’s a song that fits his current vocal range and fits the “we played some older stuff” category, poppy as it may be. It checks a lot of boxes.

• I cant see them doing I can't dance because they cant do the walk together. Follow you, follow me was used to give Chester a break and a chance for Phil to play on his own, so I cant see that one either.

By its very nature this entire tour is a demonstration of their not doing live shows as they used to, so it's completely feasible for them to do those songs without the walk or PC on drums. I wouldn't rule them out.

Abandon all reason

• I’d be perfectly happy if they skip I Can’t Dance. As for Follow You, Follow Me, Phil has performed it at solo shows in recent years and an acoustic version was played during the CAS stations. It’s a song that fits his current vocal range and fits the “we played some older stuff” category, poppy as it may be. It checks a lot of boxes.

I saw Phil do FYFM, IT & Throwing It All Away. I can't believe they would not do those three songs.