[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• talking more about it been a dig at religion of sorts

Love the song myself

I don't know, I can't see too many taking great offense at this stage. If it was a pointed dig at the messenger of a certain religion's deity I could see an issue, but the target is christian TV evangelists and the song is nearly 30 years old.

Anyway - I'm with you, would be delighted to hear it on the tour. If nothing else, Phil's vocals are less likely to struggle with later material I assume.

• Well....Nic Collins gave an interview in February where he specifically talks about rehearsing Mama, HBTS, Carpet Crawlers and......Apocalypse In 9/8.

Said they'd rehearsed 40 songs of which about 25 made it into the final set.

Based on this I’m going to revise my prediction. To clarify this isn’t my dream setlist this is my attempt to guess what will be played:

1. Duke’s Intro
    2. Turn It On Again
    3. Abacab
    4. No Son Of Mine
    5. Land Of Confusion
    6. Old Medley: Dance On A Volcano-Cinema Show-In That Quiet Earth-Apocalypse in 9/8-Carpet Crawlers
    7. Follow You Follow Me
    8. Mama
    9. Duchess
    10. Home By The Sea/Second Home By The Sea
    11. Throwing It All Away
    12. Domino
    13. I Can’t Dance.
    14. Fading Lights (short version)
    15. Invisible Touch

if u individually count each section of the old medley and both parts of Home By The Sea and Domino this makes for a total of 21 songs. When I saw Phil in 2019 he played 19 songs so I feel like this is prob an accurate amount of numbers. We also end up with at least one song (or snippet of a song) from each album from Foxtrot to We Can’t Dance.

• talking more about it been a dig at religion of sorts

Love the song myself

It was made very clear at the time that the song was a dig at the corrupt TV evangelists that the band had seen on television in the states. As Phil stated some of them were genuine and some were crooks. Hence the extended spiel live, about God telling the televangelist he should raise millions of dollars so he could buy cars and gas for them. Hence line about his ever-loving wife beside him who "don't know about my girlfriend, or the man I met last night". It's a dig at corruption in some religious leaders and televangelists.

• It was made very clear at the time that the song was a dig at the corrupt TV evangelists that the band had seen on television in the states. As Phil stated some of them were genuine and some were crooks. Hence the extended spiel live, about God telling the televangelist he should raise millions of dollars so he could buy cars and gas for them. Hence line about his ever-loving wife beside him who "don't know about my girlfriend, or the man I met last night". It's a dig at corruption in some religious leaders and televangelists.

I have always loved this song with a passion, even though my husband keeps telling me it is a rewrite of Frank Zappa's Heavenly Bank Account. I never get tired ot the video. I would love it if they played it but I doubt it.

• I have always loved this song with a passion, even though my husband keeps telling me it is a rewrite of Frank Zappa's Heavenly Bank Account. I never get tired ot the video. I would love it if they played it but I doubt it.

Yeah it's one of my favorites too. It's a great rock song, but has that off-kilter, somewhat dark angle that's all Genesis. I still grin when I think of my religious granny who once heard me singing it when I was around 12, and thought some sort of miraculous conversion had taken place (an anecdote I'm certain I've shared here before!).

• Official Post

The more we discuss about the setlist, the less I expect any really big surprises (beyond Duchess).

• When I bought WCD, all I had to go on was the track listing on the back until I got it home. It briefly crossed my mind that Jesus He Knows Me might be a religious song, but I already knew a fair bit about the guys and thought that was unlikely....so I settled on the likelihood of it being less than serious.

It's Genesis slightly off-colour humour at it's best. Harold The Barrell for the 90s. One of the better amusing songs in their canon and certainly one of the better videos.

Probably not on the set for the upcoming tour but to me it's one of the best light hearted songs they ever did.

• Many good guesses in this thread. IMHO they could play their 10 biggest hits and then pick another 10 songs out of a hat and it'd be a great show. Most likely Phil's voice will ultimately determine what goes on the list. I'm just hoping that they try to mix it up so that it's not an exact replay of the 2007 tour. The good thing is Phil will have a few thousand backup singers in addition to the two on stage, so if he has any issues it could be like when I saw John Paul Jones about 20 years ago (bass, drums, Chapman Stick, no vocalist, the crowd sang every song).

My last guess was a total fantasy. This one adds a few tracks they haven't done in a while, and the possibility of a different opener for when they play multiple dates in the same town.

Waiting Room (during walk on)

Dance on a Volcano, Deep In The Motherlode, or Abacab (changes each night)

Behind The Lines

Duchess

No Son Of Mine

Land of Confusion

Hold On My Heart

Home By The Sea

Follow You Follow Me

White Mountain

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Musical Box closing section)

In The Cage / Cinema Show (instrumental) / Watcher of the Skies (outro)

I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) / Stagnation (outro)

Many Too Many

Domino

Phil and Nic drum duet / In That Quiet Earth / Apocalypse in 9/8 / As Sure as Eggs Is Eggs

Fading Lights (short version)

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (short version) / Invisible Touch

1st Encore

Mama

I Can't Dance

Turn It On Again

2nd Encore

For Absent Friends

Carpet Crawlers

• Any chance 'Jesus He Knows me' will be on the setlist ?

The lyrics maybe a little controversial tbh

Listen to the lyrics and watch the video! The song is about hypocrisy and double standards within certain groups of Christian preachers. It is not a criticism of the Christian faith in itself.

TV-evangelists of that kind who want to enrich themselves by taking money from ordinary pious citizens while themselves living a luxurious and decadent lifestyle may find the song controversial. On the other hand, people who want the Christian church to be decent, honest and true to Christian ideals would surely agree with Phil Collins' sarcastic remarks in the lyrics.

• Listen to the lyrics and watch the video! The song is about hypocrisy and double standards within certain groups of Christian preachers. It is not a criticism of the Christian faith in itself.

TV-evangelists of that kind who want to enrich themselves by taking money from ordinary pious citizens while themselves living a luxurious and decadent lifestyle may find the song controversial. On the other hand, people who want the Christian church to be decent, honest and true to Christian ideals would surely agree with Phil Collins' sarcastic remarks in the lyrics.

But a lot of the people who make these preachers rich would object to being labelled as gullilble & easily led, which is what the song does by implication. Quite frankly I doubt any of them would have listened to the song that closely. They subscribe to something called the Gospel of Prosperity which says it's fine to get rich.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_theology

• There's another relatively recent interview with Nic. Not much new info but I will spoiler this just in case.

• Do you have a link to this video? Is it this one?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    or a different one?

• I hope they schedule some dates in the USA! I heard what Mike said and I’m so excited to see the band!

My wild guess at a set list in order:

Medley: Behind the Lines / Squonk / The Lamb

No son of mine

Throwing it all away

Home by the sea

Suppers ready (10 minute edited version)
    Hold On my heart

Follow you follow me

Abacab

Medley: In the cage / cinema show / firth of fifth

Land of confusion

Domino

Tonight tonight tonight / invisible touch

encore

I can’t dance

Misunderstanding

Carpet crawlers

• interesting set... not sure about I can't dance - how would they do it?

Also, if they do Apocalpyse, I guess it will be part of something else, i.e. a drum solo?

... make tomorrow today!

• There's another relatively recent interview with Nic. Not much new info but I will spoiler this just in case.

Based on this new info here’s my prediction for what the set will be:

1. Abacab
    2. No Son of Mine
    3. Land Of Confusion
    4. Old Medley: In The Cage-Cinema Show(instrumental)-In That Quiet Earth(snippet)-Apocalypse in 9/8-Carpet Crawlers
    5. Follow You Follow Me
    6. Home By The Sea-Second Home By The Sea
    7. (New) Duchess
    8. Firth of Fifth(solo)/I Know What I Like
    9. Mama
    10. Throwing It All Away
    11. Domino
    12. I Can’t Dance
    13. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (short version)
    14. Invisible Touch

Encore:

15. Fading Lights (short version)

16. Duke’s Intro-Turn It On Again

• I'd love to hear Keep It Dark again, but they've only got two hours and so much ground to cover. Also, how cool would it be to hear Calling All Stations sang by Phil? Finally, Deep In The Motherlode would be nice. Just my three wishes...hey, call it the Three Wishes tour and they take three requests from us collectively! :love:

• I'd love to hear Keep It Dark again, but they've only got two hours and so much ground to cover. Also, how cool would it be to hear Calling All Stations sang by Phil? Finally, Deep In The Motherlode would be nice. Just my three wishes...hey, call it the Three Wishes tour and they take three requests from us collectively! :love:

I’d love to hear CAS songs. CAS, Shipwrecked and Not About Us would be great.

• I’d love to hear CAS songs. CAS, Shipwrecked and Not About Us would be great.

I'd love to hear them too but the chances are below zero. In theory, it would be no different than the band playing The Knife, but practice is often different from theory! Also I think there's a good chance Phil's voice wouldn't be up to a song like CAS which is comparable to Mama vocally.