[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• They always play it super safely. Many other prog bands will play their "classics" realizing that this is what many fans want to hear.

I would venture to guess that in 2021, at least half of the audience in any of these Genesis strongholds that they'll be playing in would want to hear some representation of '70s stuff, not just '80s pop. Many of the fair-weather fans have long left the band (the bandwagon jumpers in the '80s/early '90s).

You're far from alone in what you expressed. But I'd say re the above that the other prog bands you refer to are the ones who are playing it safe. I always enjoyed hearing 70s stuff in Genesis sets but accepted they were a band who emphasised the later material. I don't think it was disregard for their 70s stuff as you put it, more that they were mainly enthused by playing their recent work. While I liked hearing older stuff I'll always respect a band who want to shine the light on their new stuff. Bands whose live work rests heavily on older glories - I have less respect for them but if it's what they prefer to do, and what fans prefer to hear, I get that. But I think it's a pity for any band still actively recording and releasing new stuff to pander to fans who'll just moan about it. Fans should expect a band to play a lot of new stuff and if they don't like it, don't go. Whether a band doesn't play their new stuff because they themselves don't like it, well that's a whole other matter they need to seriously address!

I don't like this characterisation of fair-weather fans. It'll be the same for any band that fans who came on board 30-40 years ago will possibly have drifted away, possibly to other musical pastures. Pretty normal and absolutely nothing wrong with that. With Genesis there are fans who grumpily say they abandoned them after Hackett or Gabriel left, or after Duke. Are they 'fair weather fans'? You need to be careful about labelling some fans as bandwagon-jumpers, you could be dismissing many of the board members here, who discovered the band through IT or WCD.

Abandon all reason

• Hi Backdrifter. Thanks for your comments. My credo in life is that ALL opinions are valuable, as long as they're expressed diplomatically, which mine were. As far as my comments go, to clarify a bit more:

1) When I was referring to playing it safe, I was primarily talking about the '92 and '07 tours. Genesis used to take risks (ITC and Fountain in '78 are clear examples of that) but they sort of settled into a routine and played the same old material over and over again (In the Cage, snippets of Cinema Show, Firth and Colony, e.g.). Since they haven't released anything since '92 (this version), I don't think there's a need to stick to the script so strictly, especially given that this is the last hurrah. That was my point by "playing it safely".

2) In regard to fair-weather fans, I wasn't referring to anyone who discovered the band in the late '80s; more power to them (you can't decide when you're born lol). I was referring to the many folks (Genesis was playing stadiums in '87 and '92) who popped in because it was the thing to do (to quote Chester Thompson in an older interview). I don't care who sees Genesis; all I am hoping for is more than a 15 minute nod to their older material.

3) Finally, regarding the "other" prog bands, I guess we can agree to disagree. Yes, for example, rotates albums in and out (including Drama which was definitely a departure for them at the time). Again, a balance would be nice. And I do agree with you that Genesis in the early '80s was heavily into whatever they were writing at the time (which make perfect sense).

And in closing all of these bands (including Genesis) rest on their old glories lol. "New" Genesis material that people refer to was written 30-40 years ago!

Thanks for the exchange and remember that the band ties all of us together despite some of us floating in slightly different quadrants of the Genesis universe :).

• Hello, everyone! First post here. I am guessing they will open with a recognizable hit to hook everyone from the start. From there, I hope they feel free to move on to whatever. How about Illegal Alien, or a reworked Congo? Background info: I first became Genesis-aware in the early 80s, probably when abacab was new. Did not become a crazy fan until the early 90s, about the time of the first remasters. Can’t remember exactly what my first complete albums were, but fairly certain I started with Trick, Selling, and W&W.

• I am guessing they will open with a recognizable hit to hook everyone from the start. How about Illegal Alien, or a reworked Congo?

What about this rumour that they're planning to pull a real shocker out of the bag and kick off with The Mystery of the Flannan Isle Lighthouse? I mean, it'd certainly be a surging uptempo opener and no mistake.

Abandon all reason

• Hello, everyone! First post here. I am guessing they will open with a recognizable hit to hook everyone from the start. From there, I hope they feel free to move on to whatever. How about Illegal Alien, or a reworked Congo? Background info: I first became Genesis-aware in the early 80s, probably when abacab was new. Did not become a crazy fan until the early 90s, about the time of the first remasters. Can’t remember exactly what my first complete albums were, but fairly certain I started with Trick, Selling, and W&W.

I am one of the people who likes Illegal Alien. However in the current climate, it would be inappropriate to say the least. If I had my way, if not TIOA, they would start with Abacab or Dodo/Lurker.

• I am one of the people who likes Illegal Alien. However in the current climate, it would be inappropriate to say the least. If I had my way, if not TIOA, they would start with Abacab or Dodo/Lurker.

I like Illegal Alien too, but it has not aged well. Maybe it was always inappropriate, I'm not sure. As Backdrifter pointed out, the accents and especially the video... Eek.

Actually, now that I think of it, is it the mama tour video where a bunch of people appear on stage at the end of the song singing along? Am I remembering this right? Who were those people?

• I like Illegal Alien too, but it has not aged well. Maybe it was always inappropriate, I'm not sure. As Backdrifter pointed out, the accents and especially the video... Eek.

Actually, now that I think of it, is it the mama tour video where a bunch of people appear on stage at the end of the song singing along? Am I remembering this right? Who were those people?

Yes, that's the Mama tour video. I don't remember if any of them looked familiar except Phil's wife-to-be. I wonder if they were family and friends gathered for the show at the end of the tour?

• I don't think it's been mentioned here but does anyone think there could be a resurrection of the In That Quiet Earth/Apocalypse in 9/8 medley from the IT tour? Perhaps just the instrumental parts since the vocals are challenging. I know from some of the interviews at least some of SR was on the table for the setlist. It would be a shame for the possible last tour to not include at least a portion of their signature song from the early era. Thoughts?

Was just listening to the ITC medley from LA in 1986 and the thought occurred...

• I secretly hoped for something like this too Art, that maybe Peter is touring with the group, and they are keeping it on the DL. That would be wild! Don’t know what Phil would do though, while Peter is singing. Silly fantasy!

Hey, I’m a silly guy! My all-time favorite vocalist wore a flower, triangle, fox mask on his head, climbed through a phallus dressed like an STD, and sang about getting your manhood chopped off into a yellow plastic shooby doob! =O8|:P:P:P My other favorite vocalist invites spiritual gurus on the stage at Madison Square Garden, sings higher than 99% of women, has a Napoleon complex, tells people at the RR hall of fame, “You’re all so beautifuuuuuul!” so I’m a silly guy in general liking this stuff!

life’s too short to be serious! :D

• Official Post

Hey, I’m a silly guy! My all-time favorite vocalist wore a flower, triangle, fox mask on his head, climbed through a phallus dressed like an STD, and sang about getting your manhood chopped off into a yellow plastic shooby doob! =O8|:P:P:P My other favorite vocalist invites spiritual gurus on the stage at Madison Square Garden, sings higher than 99% of women, has a Napoleon complex, tells people at the RR hall of fame, “You’re all so beautifuuuuuul!” so I’m a silly guy in general liking this stuff!

life’s too short to be serious! :D

It's a supersize black bird that sure can fly!

• Stay a slipperman or get your dong lopped off, I think I’m choosing the former! Yikes, Sophie’s Choice!

Amen, Brother Len! Aaaaaamen! I like my little vicar right where he is, but becoming a giant STD nodule mutant isn’t exactly an ambition of mine!

Such a great album but boy...some weird allegories!!!

• I like Illegal Alien too, but it has not aged well. Maybe it was always inappropriate, I'm not sure.

It always was. At the time I thought exactly as I do now - great tune, everything else cringey. I remember others saying the same. I suppose if you're around as long as they were, you're going to make at least one bad taste mistake.

Re the people on stage, I'd guess as per other suggestions here. Maybe some crew as well.

PC really cranked up the dreadful accent in that performance. All the intro stuff and everyone donning shades was really naff too.

Abandon all reason

• It's the opener of disc 6 of my compilation. As a live opener probably unlikely but it'd be a bold and interesting move. I'd like it.

I always thought TTT would be a great opening song, but only if they played the entire album version. Unfortunately, like the piano intro to Firth of Fifth, parts of the keyboard solo in Cinema Show, and the vocal intro to Carpet Crawlers, I think that the full version of Tonight,Tonight, Tonight is permanently out of the band’s repertoire.

• I don't think it's been mentioned here but does anyone think there could be a resurrection of the In That Quiet Earth/Apocalypse in 9/8 medley from the IT tour? Perhaps just the instrumental parts since the vocals are challenging. I know from some of the interviews at least some of SR was on the table for the setlist. It would be a shame for the possible last tour to not include at least a portion of their signature song from the early era. Thoughts?

Was just listening to the ITC medley from LA in 1986 and the thought occurred...

I’m rooting like hell for Apocalypse in 9/8. It would be musical heaven (Yeah, yeah I get 30 lashes with a wet noodle for bad puns lol). I’d gladly take an instrumental version, especially if they then play the song through to the end (rather than say transitioning to Afterglow). I’m thinking if they mellow out the arrangement Phil’s voice may be able to handle it.