[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• Official Post

I’m rooting like hell for Apocalypse in 9/8. It would be musical heaven (Yeah, yeah I get 30 lashes with a wet noodle for bad puns lol). I’d gladly take an instrumental version, especially if they then play the song through to the end (rather than say transitioning to Afterglow). I’m thinking if they mellow out the arrangement Phil’s voice may be able to handle it.

Is it possible they play Supper’s Ready in its entirety? I thought they were rehearsing it. That would be amazing, but yeah, maybe too demanding.

• Is it possible they play Supper’s Ready in its entirety? I thought they were rehearsing it. That would be amazing, but yeah, maybe too demanding.

No, I reckon not. Banks in particular has resisted it according to past interviews (not connected with this tour), he has said it's "too much of a slog". I feel they'll do a fragment of some sort, possibly Lovers Leap as per the CAS tour. I think they'd consider the whole song as taking up too much room better left to other stuff and I wouldn't disagree with that.

By the way I'm usually so bad at these sorts of predictions, with my comment above I've probably singlehandedly guaranteed they will do the whole track so if it happens I hope you all remember to thank me.

Abandon all reason

• ^ PS - on the same principle, if there are any other tracks you're desperate for them to do I'm happy to rule those out too, on the grounds the universe and the laws of cause and effect will do their thing and ensure they are played.

Similarly, spinning it around I'm going to say I'm absolutely certain they will play Mad Man Moon and One For The Vine.

Abandon all reason

• I’m sure they won’t do Supper’s Ready, but I’m

confident that will do an Instrumental extract, possibly with vocals at the end, heavily echoed and backed up. As for an opener, my money would be some version of Behind the lines, or maybe Lane of Confusion, but

Dance in a Volcano would be my choice

• Official Post

^ PS - on the same principle, if there are any other tracks you're desperate for them to do I'm happy to rule those out too, on the grounds the universe and the laws of cause and effect will do their thing and ensure they are played.

Similarly, spinning it around I'm going to say I'm absolutely certain they will play Mad Man Moon and One For The Vine.

What about ‘I know What I Like’, I’d like to see them sing it. Although I’m pretty certain we won’t see Phil do his tambourine dance!

• It's interesting to note that virtually identical discussions were taking place on various boards in 2007. And they ended up essentially doing an early '80s type setlist. Ripples, ITC and medley IKWIL, etc. were all heavily prominent live '78-early '80s. Strangely, the only twist this go around is what Phil can handle vocally and otherwise and what visually will look the best, i.e., I don't think he wants to sit on a chair half the show during instrumental sections. This kind of favors a "song-based" setlist, i.e., don't hold your breath for much of the older material (pre 3-man). A shame since the the survey on this website points to a heavy appetite by most for the '71-'80 period. Of course, we'll keep guessing until we're blue in the face but will ultimately find out if/when the tour kicks off. Enjoy, regardless, as this is "it" (no pun intended).

• I'm watching the mama tour video right now, and am inspired to guess that the opening track on this tour will be

A - Mama

Or if not then my wildcard guess

B - Lamb Lies down on Broadway

Assuming the "usual" TIOA/BTL guesses aren't correct

• I was watching the MAMA tour last week and was thinking it is strange TIOA with all the non-Genesis songs, they could have played Supper's Ready. :)

• Yeah that always drove me nuts. I'd have much preferred more Genesis music!

I was watching the MAMA tour last week and was thinking it is strange TIOA with all the non-Genesis songs, they could have played Supper's Ready. :)

What, you chaps didn't like their take on Karma Chameleon? What frustrated me about that medley was that their snippet of Pinball Wizard was so good I'd have preferred them to just do that. I'd have quite liked them to slip in an occasional cover (and I don't mean Close To The Edge or some other prog epic).

The TIOA medley was a bit naff but kind of made sense at the time. And there was no chance in hell they were going to wheel SR out again having done it in its entirety on the previous tour.

What's irritating about that tour film is its senseless omission of a chunk of older material performed in those shows, including that unusual old medley.

Abandon all reason

• I’m sure they won’t do Supper’s Ready, but I’m

confident that will do an Instrumental extract, possibly with vocals at the end, heavily echoed and backed up. As for an opener, my money would be some version of Behind the lines, or maybe Lane of Confusion, but

Dance in a Volcano would be my choice

Dance in a Volcano ...into Behind The Lines opening instrumental part...into Abacab would be a fantastic opener.

• From 78-83 when Genesis were recording new albums followed by tours, they would start the show by playing a song from the previous tour/album. I can say that for the 1980 Duke tour started with Deep in the motherload from 1978 that was really cool. The same thing happened in 1981 during the Abacab tour they opened with Behind the lines from the 1980 Duke tour that was just as cool. And in 1983 Mama tour they played ABACAB as the opener from the previous album as well!

For the 1982 Three sides live tour opened with Dance on a Volcano that broke that trend. But also, that there was no studio album to promote.

But now it is a whole different approach especially since 14 years have passed. But if the stars align, Dance on a Volcano would be a perfect opener :)

• From 78-83 when Genesis were recording new albums followed by tours, they would start the show by playing a song from the previous tour/album. I can say that for the 1980 Duke tour started with Deep in the motherload from 1978 that was really cool. The same thing happened in 1981 during the Abacab tour they opened with Behind the lines from the 1980 Duke tour that was just as cool. And in 1983 Mama tour they played ABACAB as the opener from the previous album as well!

For the 1982 Three sides live tour opened with Dance on a Volcano that broke that trend. But also, that there was no studio album to promote.

But now it is a whole different approach especially since 14 years have passed. But if the stars align, Dance on a Volcano would be a perfect opener :)

They kept the trend going with the IT tour, opening with Mama from the previous album. Then the We Can't Dance tour opened with Land of Confusion from IT. The 2007 tour didn't follow this pattern as it wasn't promoting a current album. Since The Last Domino tour also has no album to promote, it is anyone's guess what they will use as the opener.

• Official Post

They kept the trend going with the IT tour, opening with Mama from the previous album. Then the We Can't Dance tour opened with Land of Confusion from IT. The 2007 tour didn't follow this pattern as it wasn't promoting a current album. Since The Last Domino tour also has no album to promote, it is anyone's guess what they will use as the opener.

They should just say screw it, and open up with something totally unexpected like The Dividing Line or something. Or go to the opposite end and open up with Hogweed. Surprise us.

• Or knowing how diverse they are with setlists 😊, i expect them to do a set with plenty of non album tracks just to mix things up a bit...

Open with..

Paperlate

Match of the Day

On the shoreline

Open Door

Inside and Out

You might recall

Twilight alehouse

Pigeons

Happy the man

Evidence of autumn

Submarine

Hearts on Fire

Its yourself leading into los endos

Fortunately no plans for Virgil yet!

• I can see them going very Route 1 for an opener - Land of Confusion or Abacab.

The 2007 show was slightly more varied than I expected - BTL, Ripples.

I can see this one being less varied, and being all about the obvious choices. I really hope I'm wrong.

• They'll be booed off stage without that. And where the hell is Banjo Man?!

Don't worry. I have it on good authority that Virgil is part of a 60 minute suite for the second half of the show.

There's rumours of a Netflix drama adaptation too, but don't spread that around.