[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• Agreed. Easily the best song on the album, IMO.

I agree with you (though D&O probably edges it for me) but I don't think Mild Mannered Superman agrees with you if I'm reading his comment correctly! I'd love them to do this one and while I think it's probably unlikely, as I said before this tour has the potential for the Genesis Live Rulebook to be thrown out the window, or perhaps put on a shelf at the back of a cupboard at least.

Abandon all reason

• There are several songs where Phil has questioned the lyrics. He does seem a bit self conscious about singing lyrics that don't make sense to him or which he feels sound "silly".

I understand that he disliked singing Firth Of Fifth because he thought "undinal" was a made up word. Abacab doesn't make a whole lot of sense and contains some rather odd lines which is said to be why it didn't make the cut in 2007.

I don't want to get all spoilery but Nic has specifically stated that several of the songs mentioned above as "Phil-centric" are in the set. Though he has also specified that the two most difficult songs that they rehearsed, from the drummer's perspective, haven't made the cut. I am assuming Watcher and Los Endos.

With Mike saying he is adamant the set must be kept to two hours, removing 20-30 minutes of familiar material such as Cage and FoF (if that is the case) might not leave much of a hole for surprises.

• Official Post

I heard that they tried Suppers Ready during rehearsals too, but Nic was having some trouble with it. I don’t think Phil could pull it off at this point anyway. They dropped it after the Invisible Touch tour right?

• Imagine writing and recording "Sussudio" and complaining about other people writing silly lyrics.

I can see his point. Sure the words in sussudio are silly while the words in, say, Burning Rope are not silly (or maybe they are, but less silly than Sussudio). But if you're a singer, I guess there's a difference between lyrics and words. Silly words might make non-silly lyrics if they are easy to sing (any vocalists out there correct me if I'm wrong) and sound good. Whereas non-silly words (for example "you dream of a future afterlife, well that's as maybe, I don't know... Don't live today for tomorrow, like you were immortal...") might make very silly lyrics if they are unwieldy and hard to sing.

The fact that Phil made songs like Burning Rope listenable is a major testament to his genius imo.

• I can see his point. Sure the words in sussudio are silly while the words in, say, Burning Rope are not silly (or maybe they are, but less silly than Sussudio). But if you're a singer, I guess there's a difference between lyrics and words. Silly words might make non-silly lyrics if they are easy to sing (any vocalists out there correct me if I'm wrong) and sound good. Whereas non-silly words (for example "you dream of a future afterlife, well that's as maybe, I don't know... Don't live today for tomorrow, like you were immortal...") might make very silly lyrics if they are unwieldy and hard to sing.

The fact that Phil made songs like Burning Rope listenable is a major testament to his genius imo.

So . . . this brings up a couple of songs in which to my ear Phil often mucked up lyrics live. One was Supper’s Ready, in which it often sounded to me like he was singing “As the drop in the sea goes” instead of “As the germ in the seed grows.” The other was Dodo. I’ve never heard a single live version of that song where Phil gets all the lyrics correct. I’ve always wondered if this was because Phil was uncomfortable with the original lyrics (and often wondered how Tony felt about Phil mucking up his lyrics).

• I heard that they tried Suppers Ready during rehearsals too, but Nic was having some trouble with it. I don’t think Phil could pull it off at this point anyway. They dropped it after the Invisible Touch tour right?

Without wanting to spoil too much, Nic has pretty much confirmed that Apocalypse has made it to the final set.

They dropped the medley with Apocalypse half way through the IT tour. Phil wanted to do Supper's Ready in it's entirety on the WCD tour but the other two didn't. They did do "Lover's Leap" as part of an acoustic medley for the CAS tour with Ray.

• Less than 2 months until opening night I'm now expecting it to be a Storytellers-style show with Phil doing more crowd work between songs. At least one track from every album from Trespass to WCD. Dreaming While You Sleep or Many Too Many could be alternates, I just don't know where to put them.

opening video during walk-on

1. Dance on a Volcano

2. Abacab

"Good evening. We're going to be playing a lot of our big hit singles that you know and love. (cheers) And we're also going to be playing some songs that we haven't played in a VERY long time (huge cheers). At least one of which was written before I had even joined the band. But first, this is from our 1980 album, Duke.

3. Behind the Lines

4. Duchess

5. Misunderstanding

6. Hold On My Heart

7. Follow You Follow Me

"OK, some of our newer fans in the audience might not remember, but back in the 1970's, we had a guitarist named Steve Hackett (cheers) and a vocalist named Peter Gabriel. (more cheers) Unfortunately, they could not be with us tonight (awwwww). It's alright. Everybody's doing fine and we're still good friends. They're just rather busy at the moment. And now we would like to play some of the songs we wrote together. This is for Peter and Steve.

8. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

9. Dancing With the Moonlit Knight (intro) / Carpet Crawlers

10. In The Cage / Watcher of the Skies (outro)

11. I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) / Stagnation (outro)

12. White Mountain

"As you may have guessed, when Peter and Steve left the group they left some very big shoes to fill. I had to learn how to sing lead (laughs) and we needed a new guitarist. Thankfully, we found a good one. Ladies and gentlemen...Mr Daryl Stuermer! (cheers)

13. Blood on the Rooftops

14. Land of Confusion

15. Home By The Sea

(long intro about how crazy a year it's been for all of us and how good it is to be able to get together at a big rock show again)

16. Domino

17. Phil and Nic drum duet / In That Quiet Earth / Apocalypse in 9/8

18. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (short version) / Invisible Touch

encore

19. Mama

(I dunno if he'll give Grandmaster Flash a salute with "It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from going under" during the breakdown, but my fingers are crossed)

"OK. If we're gonna do this one I'm gonna need everybody to sing the really high notes with me, alright?"

20. I Can't Dance

2nd encore

21. For Absent Friends

22. Fading Lights

• interesting, but a bit oo long for 2hrs. Also, I think Squonk will be played, not DOAV.
    For Absent Friends is something I do not expect., same with White Mountain. All other tracks seem likely.

... make tomorrow today!

• that is really well thought through and the kind of thing I’d love to see them do and perhaps they should do. But they probably won’t! There has to be a lot of playing safe with Phil’s voice but maybe they will take the chance to highlight the playing of Mike and Tony. I do expect the backing vocalists to open up possibilities for great great harmonies, eg Afterglow

• Stupid question but is it still going ahead? Even with everything still going on?

Britain is pretty much open at this point in time. Of course anything can happen in the next few weeks but it is highly likely the UK leg of the tour will go ahead. People have started to receive physical tickets in the post. The USA looks promising too.

What may well happen is that concert-goers could be required to prove they're fully covid vaccinated or have a recent negative covid test.

Regarding For Absent Friends, in the Prog magazine interview early last year they laughed off the idea that it might be played. White Mountain is an outsider but it's just about possible. They've poo-pooed the idea of dusting off The Knife (Prog interview again)

• Welp I’ve posted multiple predictions on this thread so I figure one more couldn’t hurt:

1. Duke’s Intro/Turn It On Again
    2. No Son of Mine
    3. Land Of Confusion
    4. Old Medley: In The Cage-Cinema Show(instrumental)-Apocalypse in 9/8-Carpet Crawlers OR Afterglow
    5. Follow You Follow Me
    6. Home By The Sea-Second Home By The Sea
    7. (New) Duchess
    8. Abacab
    9. Mama
    10. Throwing It All Away
    11. Domino
    12. Fading Lights (short version)
    13. Invisible Touch

Encore:

1. I Can’t Dance
    2. Firth of Fifth (solo) - I Know What I Like
  • Hi all

Just joined the forum.

So.... My thoughts.

First of all. I hope we dont get more or less the same set as 2007..

Im sure the guys are well aware it will be a lot of the same fans watching.

Im a fan of everything old and new. Invisible touch is one of my favourite energy lifting albums so i dont have a tainted view of new songs. This is my thought on songs.

I cant dance. Feel this wont work without phil doing the walk.. And i would think phil himself maybe would think the same.

Land of confusion and no son of mine.

For me these 2x have been done to death live and feel like throwaway songs now. Great songs but hoping these are put on the shelf for this one. (wishful thinking)

My choices instead.

No son = jesus he knows me (love the energy and a real highlight on 90s tour)

Land confusion = thats all (such a classic hit and would love to hear that one)

Duchess. Banks has mentioned this as a favourite. Lets hope he put his foot down for this one 😁

Firth of fifth. Again feel this is done to death. Especially not a fan of just playing the solos for the sake of it.

First part of selling england going into another song would be amazing.

I find the opening line so iconic. Shown by the reaction when sting sung it on the pg/sting tour.

Home by the sea (just dont like it, the only one i would say i just dont like. Feel this ads nothing to a genesis set.. Weakest of the long songs)

OPENER

The behind the lines intro was epic from the last tour. Such a good call to open with that. Feel like they will again maybe and i wouldnt be dissapointed.

Turn it on again. Such a strong song, hope they keep it for later in the set or near the end.

Feels a bit throwaway at the beginning

Abacab. Just have a feeling they will throw this one back in 👍

Watcher of the skies. I think this would be hugely appreciated. Maybe the epic intro into something else. I dont think we will get it though..

Hope this comes across as a positive post even though ive mentioned songs id rather not hear (songs i still love by the way)

Generally any surprise or something a bit different will be amazing. Ripples was a nice surprise on the 2007 tour.

Cant wait for the tour and to see who is an amazing young drummer in Nic. What a fresh approach he will bring 👌

• I think I posted a possible setlist once before (my memory is going with my hair), but here’s another go.

Duke’s Intro/Duchess/Follow You, Follow Me

No Son of Mine

That’s All

Land of Confusion

DWTMK (opening section)/Squonk/Apocalypse in 9/8

Hold on My Heart

HBTS/SHBTS

Carpet Crawlers

Abacab

Firth of Fifth/IKWIL

Throwing it All Away

Domino I and II