[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• Official Post

Could it be there are separate release dates in the UK/Europe and the US, perhaps linked to the launching of the two legs of the tour?

quite obviously it’s exactly the reason

• The song in question had a very nice country cover done by Vince Gill and Alison Krauss. You can find a video of it on Youtube (won't post it to avoid the spoiler).

Now that we are not worried about spoilers on this thread, here is the video of Alison Krauss and Vince Gill doing an acoustic country version of That's All. I doubt we'll hear a version quite this country, but it is nice to hear how Genesis songs can be reinvented.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Now that we are not worried about spoilers on this thread, here is the video of Alison Krauss and Vince Gill doing an acoustic country version of That's All. I doubt we'll hear a version quite this country, but it is nice to hear how Genesis songs can be reinvented.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That was very nice. Thank you for posting it.

• Now that we are not worried about spoilers on this thread, here is the video of Alison Krauss and Vince Gill doing an acoustic country version of That's All. I doubt we'll hear a version quite this country, but it is nice to hear how Genesis songs can be reinvented.

Sweet! I never really heard the “country” elements in this song in the Genesis version, despite Phil introducing it as a country & western song during the Mama tour. Now I get it!

• Sweet! I never really heard the “country” elements in this song in the Genesis version, despite Phil introducing it as a country & western song during the Mama tour. Now I get it!

I’ve always loved “That’s All” because it sounded, to me ,like a country song done as an 80s synth pop song. I also hear some Beatles and jazz influence in the track as well. That’s All almost reminds me of Aja era Steely Dan because like Aja, That’s All has many genre influences and they all seamlessly meet in the middle

• Wonder if Dancing out/TMB could be the full enchilada, i.e., as they did once on the '78 tour (Chicago)? That would make me quite happy....

That would be great but I kinda doubt it. Phil struggled with the high parts of DWTMK at that Chicago show back in ‘78.

• Am I the only one who thinks "Abacab" is a bizarre choice for a show closer?

I seem to be the only person that wouldn’t mind if Abacab was the show closer. Honestly my main concern is that the encore will be a low energy affair like it was in 2007. Ending with Carpet Crawlers was super moving on that tour but I don’t think it would be as emotionally effective this time. I also really don’t want them to close with Fading Lights. Fading Lights is a powerful song about accepting mortality but I personally would want the show to end on an energetic song like Abacab that leaves the audience wanting more... whereas Fading Lights would leave the audience depressed lol

• I seem to be the only person that wouldn’t mind if Abacab was the show closer. Honestly my main concern is that the encore will be a low energy affair like it was in 2007. Ending with Carpet Crawlers was super moving on that tour but I don’t think it would be as emotionally effective this time. I also really don’t want them to close with Fading Lights. Fading Lights is a powerful song about accepting mortality but I personally would want the show to end on an energetic song like Abacab that leaves the audience wanting more... whereas Fading Lights would leave the audience depressed lol

Agreed....show closer needs to leave us on a high not poignant....I Know What I Like was always a great closer in the past..."It's your show...."!

• I suppose so. Most of the songs on the CD set were slam dunks all along to be played on this tour. Bummer that Squonk is not on the CD, but I’m still holding out hope. One of the teaser vids of the band rehearsing features an image behind the band that sure looks like Squonk. As for Apocalypse in 9/8 I’ve pretty much given up hope. Given his comments in an interview Nic Collins finds it too challenging to play, unlike drummers for dozens of cover bands (sarcasm intended).

Has anyone noticed "Domino Medley" on the tracklisting? Intriguing

• Am I the only one who thinks "Abacab" is a bizarre choice for a show closer?

Who says it's the set closer? Are people getting confused between this compilation and the set?! It's certainly an odd choice to close the cd especially as it's the edit.

EDIT: Sorry, just tracked back and realised it was probably in reference to an earlier suggested setlist.

As you were.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• I agree about the energy on a show closer

When they did turn it on again in the 80s at wembley. The energy was insane, when they did the medley, and then kicked back into the chorus (goosebumps)

For the encore songs like

Turn it on again, i know what i like,

Abacab followed by i know what I like to end would be pretty amazing.

Love how the crowd sing that melody to that really old song they always throw in (can never remember what its from. Might even be from genesis to revelation)

• Official Post

Fun fact: the youngest track they will play ist at least 30 years old. And the oldest track only 18 years older …

So, they are all old

• I think you’re referring to Stagnation, from Trespass. Tony always throws that little flourish in near the end of IKWIL.