[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• Now that we are not worried about spoilers on this thread, here is the video of Alison Krauss and Vince Gill doing an acoustic country version of That's All. I doubt we'll hear a version quite this country, but it is nice to hear how Genesis songs can be reinvented.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thank you for posting this! I've seen AKUS half a dozen times or so, and used to have a pretty decent boot collection from their shows, but I'd never seen / heard this before. Very cool to see a cross over of two of my favorite bands.

That said, while this is really cool, not sure I love this version. Think I'd have preferred Dan Tyminski singing, as opposed to Vince Gill, and definitely would have preferred Alison to have played the solo on fiddle. Slow the whole thing down and make it a little more lonesome. Alison jokes that she wants people leaving their shows feeling sadder than they did when they came in, and that could have done it, with a few small changes.

• Thank you for posting this! I've seen AKUS half a dozen times or so, and used to have a pretty decent boot collection from their shows, but I'd never seen / heard this before. Very cool to see a cross over of two of my favorite bands.

That said, while this is really cool, not sure I love this version. Think I'd have preferred Dan Tyminski singing, as opposed to Vince Gill, and definitely would have preferred Alison to have played the solo on fiddle. Slow the whole thing down and make it a little more lonesome. Alison jokes that she wants people leaving their shows feeling sadder than they did when they came in, and that could have done it, with a few small changes.

I really like Dan Tyminski's voice, but I also like Vince Gill's (more high and lonesome, if you will). I would also have liked to hear Alison do a solo as she underuses her fiddle playing in my opinion, although Jerry Douglas is hardly a slouch on dobro. Vince Gill is also a phenomenal guitar play, so he could have taken a turn (look up his performances of Oklahoma Borderline if you want to see what he can do). I still like this version, but appreciate they could have reinvented it even further.

• I still reckon they're doing Apocalypse. Nic has said, in at least three interviews I've seen, that he'll only mention song titles that made the final set....and he talks a lot about how Apocalypse is really difficult for drumming etc. He mentions rehearsing "a song from 1971" but doesn't name it, so I am doubtful about Musical box....but I see two different track listings for the upcoming box set. I wonder if there will be a set for the UK shows and a slightly different one for the US shows? Then combine both for the live DVD/BD/album? I'd buy a 4LP box set of Genesis Last Domino Live.

I really don't think the creature with red eyes is the Squonk. I don't see the resemblance. It looks evil, with one red eye...the Squonk is not evil. I did ask some non-fans what they thought of it, and the universal verdict was that it was canine. One even said "It's a wolf with one bad eye". But I now think it unlikely that White Mountain will make it. The red eyes could be from HBTS. Genesis rarely give us big surprises these days.

• I still reckon they're doing Apocalypse. Nic has said, in at least three interviews I've seen, that he'll only mention song titles that made the final set....and he talks a lot about how Apocalypse is really difficult for drumming etc. He mentions rehearsing "a song from 1971" but doesn't name it, so I am doubtful about Musical box....but I see two different track listings for the upcoming box set. I wonder if there will be a set for the UK shows and a slightly different one for the US shows? Then combine both for the live DVD/BD/album? I'd buy a 4LP box set of Genesis Last Domino Live.

I really don't think the creature with red eyes is the Squonk. I don't see the resemblance. It looks evil, with one red eye...the Squonk is not evil. I did ask some non-fans what they thought of it, and the universal verdict was that it was canine. One even said "It's a wolf with one bad eye". But I now think it unlikely that White Mountain will make it. The red eyes could be from HBTS. Genesis rarely give us big surprises these days.

One could make the case that Apocalypse in 9/8 and DWTMK would be be big surprises too. And I agree that the Squonk as depicted in mythology is not an evil character. However if you look at the album cover the character has the classic “slanted up as you move from the middle of the face toward the outside of the face” evil look. If you google “how to draw evil eyes” and “how to draw evil eye brows” there is a resemblance to the image on the rehearsal clip. And yes I admit I have way too much time on my hands to be googling stuff like that :D

• Other than being back together and ready to tour, I suppose. That certainly surprised me! :)

Phil hinted at it as far back as 2016 when he talked about coming out of retirement....doing music again "maybe even with Genesis". The three of them were spotted together a lot in 2018. Wasn't a big surprise really.

I'm personally not really surprised if Apocalypse makes it....they've played (at least) part of Supper's Ready on most tours since 1972. I hope I am wrong but I don't foresee any big surprises. Ripples was the biggest surprise of the TIOA tour, and it was quite a biggie...and really well done too.

Perhaps our definitions of "big surprise" are different.....I'd say a big surprise would be a substantial part of anything from Trespass....more than the opening section of Moonlit Knight....more than the closing section of Musical Box...the whole Cinema Show....something from the 70s they haven't played in it's entirety since 1982 or earlier...or never played live. Slotting a couple of minutes of Fly On A Windshield into a Lamb medley would be a big surprise...and very welcome.

• Phil hinted at it as far back as 2016 when he talked about coming out of retirement....doing music again "maybe even with Genesis". The three of them were spotted together a lot in 2018. Wasn't a big surprise really.

I'm personally not really surprised if Apocalypse makes it....they've played (at least) part of Supper's Ready on most tours since 1972. I hope I am wrong but I don't foresee any big surprises. Ripples was the biggest surprise of the TIOA tour, and it was quite a biggie...and really well done too.

Perhaps our definitions of "big surprise" are different.....I'd say a big surprise would be a substantial part of anything from Trespass....more than the opening section of Moonlit Knight....more than the closing section of Musical Box...the whole Cinema Show....something from the 70s they haven't played in it's entirety since 1982 or earlier...or never played live. Slotting a couple of minutes of Fly On A Windshield into a Lamb medley would be a big surprise...and very welcome.

Count me as one who will be surprised (and very pleasantly so) if they play Apocalypse in 9/8. Since 1977 it’s been played on 2 of 8 tours (The Encore Tour and a few shows at the beginning of the IT tour). And Phil’s voice couldn’t handle the “666” section in 1986. I have my doubts he could handle it in 2021. One way around that challenge would be if they played that section purely as an instrumental and then have Phil sing the closing section.

• Count me as one who will be surprised (and very pleasantly so) if they play Apocalypse in 9/8. Since 1977 it’s been played on 2 of 8 tours (The Encore Tour and a few shows at the beginning of the IT tour). And Phil’s voice couldn’t handle the “666” section in 1986. I have my doubts he could handle it in 2021. One way around that challenge would be if they played that section purely as an instrumental and then have Phil sing the closing section.

I think if they try anything with a vocal like that, it would be modified to be less "raw". I can imagine backing vocalists and Phil singing it together, giving it a bit more oomph than 2021 Phil alone.

• I think, of all the potential "surprises", the one I'd enjoy most is actually Keep It Dark. It sounds like Genesis, but it still sounds futuristic even today with the wonky instrumentals, precise drumming and vocals that are yelping and breathy at the same time.

• I doubt "Apocalypse" is gonna make the final set...I think the most likely "SR" appearance will be "Lover's Leap" in the acoustic section.

Nic has pretty much confirmed Apocalypse has made the final set. In that he's stated in multiple interviews given since the rehearsals that he'll only mention titles that made the set, so as not to confuse or disappoint....then goes on to wax lyrical about playing Apocalypse in 9/8 with the guys

He might have just let his enthusiasm get away with him but I've seen at least three separate interviews he has given in 2021 where he does this. It will be a surprise to me if they don't play Apocalypse on the upcoming tour.

Regarding the backing singers, we don't yet know how they'll be used. It is possible they may assist Phil on some songs, or it might be the case that Mike & Tony don't want to sing backing vocals any more. Also, listening to albums like Duke, Trick and W&W a lot recently I've noticed there is a lot of vocal harmony on some tracks which became live favourites which has never been performed live in that way. We might get some songs slightly rejigged to include vocal harmony as per the original studio versions. Sometimes it's Phil harmonising with himself via multi track recording, other times it's Mike or Tony. And we know the latter two don't actually enjoy singing vocals and Tony in particular doesn't like the sound of his vocals. Even a song like Land Of Confusion has a fair amount of stuff that the backing singers could do while Phil sings the usual vocal lines. Tony does not seem to have a mic in the teaser videos, though Mike does.

At this point I assume nothing substantial from Trespass will be performed, but should I be wrong the backing vocalists could imitate the "Anthony Phillips male voice choir" which was a staple in the very early days.

• Going to Birmingham night 2 so hoepfully I'll have an idea what the setlist be like and when I can go for drinks/toilet breaks

I'd be raging if I ended up missing Follow You Follow Me

Haha, I totally get where you’re coming from. I saw several shows in 2007 and to this day whenever I hear Hold On My Heart, I have to pee.

Having said that, a few bands I like to see live vary their set lists quite a bit, and they also have songs I’ll use for a drink/toilet run. It’s just a matter of when they’re played.

• Phil hinted at it as far back as 2016 when he talked about coming out of retirement....doing music again "maybe even with Genesis". The three of them were spotted together a lot in 2018. Wasn't a big surprise really.

Well, the background vocalists would have to sing that "6.6.6." part.. Unless they tune down an entire octave because Phil...

• Tony has said in the past that he enjoyed playing Hogweed live, so if they do anything from 71 it will either be Closing Section of Musical Box, or Hogweed.

But my wish setlist would be the Duke tour (including Knife abbreviated) with a "Big Hits" Medely for an encore.