[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• I went back and watched Nic’s interviews on YouTube from March and April of this year. In those interviews he says that there were three songs that were particularly hard for him to learn and that after learning them none of them made the setlist. He does say he had the songs learned (I stand corrected—in an earlier post I suggested perhaps he hadn’t managed to get those songs down). The 3 songs he mentions specifically as being difficult to learn were Apocalypse in 9/8 (he said he found it impossible to count to so he had to memorize the drum section); Los Endos; and Second Home By the Sea. Whether that means those are the three “hardest” songs that didn’t make the setlist—hard to say for sure. He also said the band was completely ready to tour before the first delay due to Covid. The concert—musically and visually—was totally prepared. That would lead me to believe that no changes have been made to the setlist since then.

I think the lighting designer Woodroffe said in his BBC interview (the one where Gabriel called him) that they have recorded a full run during rehearsals. Simply because they didn’t know whether or not this show could ever be staged in front of an audience.

so, I also don’t expect they changed anything since last autumn.

... make tomorrow today!

• I used to play all of those songs in the Genesis Show. They each have their intricacies. The tough part about 9/8 is the fact that the keyboard solo is in 4/4 and everything else is in 9/8. As someone who played the 12-string and Taurus pedal part, you almost have to shut out what everybody else is playing. Supper's Ready is not terribly hard to play, otherwise, other than it's friggin' long lol. It's almost like playing 4-5 songs in a row. Los Endos is OK, again I never thought it was that hard from the 12-string/bass perspective; it's a reprise of Dance and Squonk. Firth is a really fun one to play; such beautiful melodies.

• I used to play all of those songs in the Genesis Show. They each have their intricacies. The tough part about 9/8 is the fact that the keyboard solo is in 4/4 and everything else is in 9/8. As someone who played the 12-string and Taurus pedal part, you almost have to shut out what everybody else is playing. Supper's Ready is not terribly hard to play, otherwise, other than it's friggin' long lol. It's almost like playing 4-5 songs in a row. Los Endos is OK, again I never thought it was that hard from the 12-string/bass perspective; it's a reprise of Dance and Squonk. Firth is a really fun one to play; such beautiful melodies.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You want? Try Robbery, Assault and Battery. That one made me sweat every time lol.

• I think we have to be realistic and not expect too many of the older songs.Looking back at the last tour one major surprise song (Ripples...) and a few medleys might be as good as we get this time. I also think they will minimise instrumentals as it leaves Phil with nothing to do sadly. As someone who loves watching the whole live stuff on video it makes me feel sad to realise the days of Phil jumping up on his drum kit and playing with real passion are now in the past. As Phil used to say before they played Ripples in the 1978 tour it is about the approaching of old age and the passing of time"....and time catches up with everyone in the end. I see this tour as the final chance to say goodbye to the band that have been such a key part of my life since I first heard them in the mid-1970s. I am going in not expecting too much and I certainly do not feel they owe me anything. They have given me such huge pleasure over the years and made my life much richer in every way.

The Genesis Show—I love you guys! I’ve seen the band 4 or 5 times and will see them again in October in New Jersey (Covid-19).

• Thanks. I"m a former member.... When they switched over to the '80s stuff, I kind of lost interest in all honesty. To each his own. Enjoy....

Thanks. I saw you guys do the W&W tour several times and saw The Encore Tour as well (I guess you had left the band by then). Great shows all.

• Official Post

I think we have to be realistic and not expect too many of the older songs.Looking back at the last tour one major surprise song (Ripples...) and a few medleys might be as good as we get this time. I also think they will minimise instrumentals as it leaves Phil with nothing to do sadly. As someone who loves watching the whole live stuff on video it makes me feel sad to realise the days of Phil jumping up on his drum kit and playing with real passion are now in the past. As Phil used to say before they played Ripples in the 1978 tour it is about the approaching of old age and the passing of time"....and time catches up with everyone in the end. I see this tour as the final chance to say goodbye to the band that have been such a key part of my life since I first heard them in the mid-1970s. I am going in not expecting too much and I certainly do not feel they owe me anything. They have given me such huge pleasure over the years and made my life much richer in every way.

Beautifully put. I agree.

• I do get the impression that some people confuse "I really want that song to be played" with "They're likely to play that song".

I'd absolutely love them to open with Watcher, even an instrumental version, and close with The Knife. They could play two hours of improvisational jam based around Whoudnnit in between and I'd still have a blast. But I am realistic enough to understand that is *extremely* unlikely. They've stated they are not "dusting off" The Knife, and the indications are that they may have rehearsed Watcher but it didn't make the cut.

Realistically they're going to play Invisible Touch, Mama, Land Of Confusion, That's All. Not only are they the most familiar "hits", all but one has been heard in the teaser videos. They'll likely have a couple of better known hits from WDC too. And Follow You, Follow Me. They'll play the songs Nic has talked about - Apocalypse, Home By The Sea, Abacab.

Knowing Genesis there may be one genuine surprise...though that might be the aforementioned Apocalypse.

I do think we need to look at songs that *they* enjoy playing night after night....not simply our own personal wish lists. I don't know why they poo-pooed the idea of closing with the short version of The Knife, but they did...back in march 2020. Maybe they just don't enjoy it any more? Despite it being loved by most fans of 70s Genesis and a real rocker of a song that the fans of the hits can probably get behind too...and only being a few minutes if they don't. If Mike, Tony and Phil don't specifically enjoy it....they're not going to spend endless hours rehearsing and playing it.

• I've realized what my "you're only allowed one wish" surprise would be. Phil walks slowly on stage, walking aid tapping slowly and deliberately as the audience goes quiet. He makes his way to the center, then does a forward roll and springs up like Willy Wonka, dropping the walking aid. Crowd goes nuts. Show on.

Don't care what the setlist is!

• I think the biggest surprise is gonna be

I just have a feeling it'll be played.

It features a lot in the rumours....and used to be a favourite....it's conceivable...more likely than some titles being mentioned.

If I really had one wish, it would be for Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett and Anthony Phillips to join them on one date for a full on 10 minute smash through The Knife.

It's not going to happen. But that would be my one wish.

• Official Post

I've realized what my "you're only allowed one wish" surprise would be. Phil walks slowly on stage, walking aid tapping slowly and deliberately as the audience goes quiet. He makes his way to the center, then does a forward roll and springs up like Willy Wonka, dropping the walking aid. Crowd goes nuts. Show on.

Don't care what the setlist is!

Hahaha. That would be hilarious. He does the whole walking cane getting stuck in the ground thing.

• It's Gonna Get Better is another safe bet, possibly after Land Of Confusion. I'm guessing there will be as many happy tunes and as few sad ones as possible. If The Knife was rehearsed they may have gotten to, "Some of you are going to d....wait, let's not do this one. Too soon."

Squonk, Watcher, and most songs from The Lamb are possible with help from the backup singers and audience.

I like thewatcher's idea of Phil doing a Willy Wonka walk-on. At the very least I'd like to see him do a short walk for I Can't Dance.

• It's Gonna Get Better is another safe bet, possibly after Land Of Confusion. I'm guessing there will be as many happy tunes and as few sad ones as possible. If The Knife was rehearsed they may have gotten to, "Some of you are going to d....wait, let's not do this one. Too soon."

Squonk, Watcher, and most songs from The Lamb are possible with help from the backup singers and audience.

I like thewatcher's idea of Phil doing a Willy Wonka walk-on. At the very least I'd like to see him do a short walk for I Can't Dance.

They assuredly didn't rehearse The Knife. Mike and Tony made that clear in the Prog Magazine interview in March 2020. They both laughed at the idea that The Knife might be "dusted off" for this tour. There's only one conclusion, they discounted the idea before any rehearsals began.

I do like the Willy Wonka entrance idea. Phil might well think it's fun too.