[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• It's Gonna Get Better is another safe bet, possibly after Land Of Confusion. I'm guessing there will be as many happy tunes and as few sad ones as possible. If The Knife was rehearsed they may have gotten to, "Some of you are going to d....wait, let's not do this one. Too soon."

Squonk, Watcher, and most songs from The Lamb are possible with help from the backup singers and audience.

I like thewatcher's idea of Phil doing a Willy Wonka walk-on. At the very least I'd like to see him do a short walk for I Can't Dance.

I can see why you might think It's Gonna Get Better might be a 'safe bet' because of its sentiments. However as a song, is it something that fans desperately want the band to play? I would have thought not. Then you mention 'happy' songs and say 'most songs from the Lamb'. Do you really think the Lamb songs are 'happy'?

• I can see why you might think It's Gonna Get Better might be a 'safe bet' because of its sentiments. However as a song, is it something that fans desperately want the band to play? I would have thought not. Then you mention 'happy' songs and say 'most songs from the Lamb'. Do you really think the Lamb songs are 'happy'?

Not only that but I have to say, and this might well just be me, I've never thought of Genesis songs in terms of their being "happy" or "sad"!

I'm also curious about what audience assistance we could lend for Watcher of the Skies. To be honest, as an audience member I'm not prepared to help with anything other than just being there, enjoying and applauding.

Abandon all reason

• I'm also curious about what audience assistance we could lend for Watcher of the Skies. To be honest, as an audience member I'm not prepared to help with anything other than just being there, enjoying and applauding.

I can just hear Phil now.

Oi!! You! The slacker in row F, seat <squints> 6 is it? 7? Off yer bloody arse and help us out with this chorus. Jesus, fans these days. Next you'll want me to come down there and take your order for the bar! All right, from the top...

• They'll play something from The Lamb, because they have on every tour since The Lamb....but likely the old favourites....Carpet Crawlers is almost certain. The title track seems to be heavily rumoured though I don't remember if Nic has talked about rehearsing it. Cage medley has to be a possibility though I have a feeling they'll leave that one out this time.

• I'm also curious about what audience assistance we could lend for Watcher of the Skies. To be honest, as an audience member I'm not prepared to help with anything other than just being there, enjoying and applauding.

Everyone could wear bat wings on their heads.

Chances are 70% of the audience wouldn't know the words to sing along. Though I do maintain that the intro and instrumental parts are so powerful, along with modern visuals, that it would make a stunning opening to a Genesis show in 2021.

• Everyone could wear bat wings on their heads.

Chances are 70% of the audience wouldn't know the words to sing along. Though I do maintain that the intro and instrumental parts are so powerful, along with modern visuals, that it would make a stunning opening to a Genesis show in 2021.

Exactly! I was thinking disposable bat wings and capes. “Alright everyone, 1,2,3 . . . thrust your arms out in dramatic fashion to reveal your glorious, multi-color wings!”

• I love the idea of Watcher being a "singalong", seeing as it's anything but. However, it appearing as the top-and-tail version of 76 and 82 would be excellent, if highly unlikely.

Abandon all reason

• I love the idea of Watcher being a "singalong", seeing as it's anything but. However, it appearing as the top-and-tail version of 76 and 82 would be excellent, if highly unlikely.

I would love a reprise of the Lamb/Watcher combo, circa 1982 Encore Tour. Unfortunately I have no real expectation that will happen.

• Yes, having come to my senses I now realize that Genesis fans probably aren't going to sing over songs they've been waiting a long time to hear Phil sing, aside from the dee-ah-days, the (This is the world we live in) Ohh ohhhh oh!s, the I's in I Can't Dance, or the highly-unlikely-to-be-performed-on-this-tour "......A flower!?!"

I'm not expecting Iron Maiden or the Misfits or Rush in Rio where the crowd is as loud as the PA system. But I am interested to see what the audience participation will be this time.

• Nic Collins posted a photo the other day with the set list to the far left of his rehearsal kit. It's entirely unreadable though I can make it two one word titles, most likely "Mama" and "Domino." There was also a cluster of titles that look like a medley. A tantalizing tease for sure, I strained my eyes trying to at least figure out the opener.

• Nic Collins posted a photo the other day with the set list to the far left of his rehearsal kit. It's entirely unreadable though I can make it two one word titles, most likely "Mama" and "Domino." There was also a cluster of titles that look like a medley. A tantalizing tease for sure, I strained my eyes trying to at least figure out the opener.

Would love to see the pic. Is there a link you can share?

This feels like the moment for me to withdraw from this thread. It's now got way too close to actual spoilers! I'm sure I'll be back after Glasgow 1.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Looks like there will be a documentary for the tour (US television?)

https://beta.aptonline.org/catalog/GENESIS-THE-LAST-DOMINO

• Looking forward to that very much. We are so lucky to have had such great Genesis documentaries over the years especially the ones linked to the new tours. A fascinating insight into how the band works so well together.

Oh wow, song clips! "Mama" sounds creepy in the new key.

American Public Television says : "

Songs performed include “Mama,” “Land of Confusion,” “Throwing It All Away,” and other Genesis classics."

So, no big surprise for now, they are all hits, almost mandatory to play in a "greatest hits tour" perspective.

And don't forget we are in the US here. The band wasn't that big before Follow You Follow Me, and to make American people watch it, I think they had to quote their most commercially known songs.

I hope it will go deeper into their song catalog...

That said, I'm quite surprised of the choice of Mama. I can't see Phil singing it, even by lowering the key. Maybe I'm underestimating his capacities.

This is brave, really.

I hope to see the same kind of bravery for the whole set...

"Ok, guys... Now that we have played Mama, let's do... mhhh... Back In NYC".

^^

Edited 2 times, last by Duke of Earl of Mar: EDIT removed : Christian had already mentioned Jesus he knows me. ().