[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• Considering "Invisible Touch" is not there, that's hardly the full set, but still looks like a pretty safe, uninteresting show on paper. "Cinema Show" makes me think we'll get "In the Cage" after all, along with "Afterglow."

Has there been discussion if we're going to get the full "Behind the Line"? It's a song where the backing vocals can fill out the parts Phil can't hit.

• Considering "Invisible Touch" is not there, that's hardly the full set, but still looks like a pretty safe, uninteresting show on paper. "Cinema Show" makes me think we'll get "In the Cage" after all, along with "Afterglow."

Has there been discussion if we're going to get the full "Behind the Line"? It's a song where the backing vocals can fill out the parts Phil can't hit.

Yes, but I'm still hopeful there will be some good surprises.

Can't tell from the video as it's just used for the credits and not long long enough to get to any vocals. It is rehearsal footage for the audio though. As far as I could hear, all the music is rehearsal footage. Most considerably lower than the albums.

Couple things I forgot to mention, Nick sounds extremely good. I've heard him, and he's obviously a good drummer, but I have a soft spot for Phil. I also hadn't heard Nick though a proper mix. He's very good. Cinema show was the highlight for me. Also, background vocals do not bother me nearly as much as I thought they would. They also seem to really help Phils' voice. I don't know if this was previous knowledge or not, but there's a funny segment discussing that fact that Mike and Tony, backup vocal wise, are now officially retired.

• Jesus, Duchess, That's All and Lamb. Not bad, very interesting.

Duchess, That's All and Lamb are quite demanding in terms of vocals. Of course, keys will be lowered, but in a way, it's great to have these songs, it's a good sign...

I had no doubts about Nic at all, in fact I was hoping he would "energize" the band.

• Id be extremely disappointed if 'Follow You Follow Me' and 'Invisible Touch' are not in the setlist

If i had to choose one it would be 'FYFM'

Seems like Invisible Touch would have to be played. As for FYFM, there was a small segment where Tony Smith basically said Mike joining Phil on stage during his tour to do that song was the seed that got this whole thing going. So I could see that being played as well.

• One thing that disappoints me a little is the keyboards sounds. When Dave Kerzner revealed he had helped to set up Tony's rig, I was hoping Tony would get better sounds than in 2007 (I'm not an "old analog gear" fetishist, modern keyboards and computers are much more convenient and reliable, and can sound better).

From what I've heard, it sounds very much like 14 years ago, no so good, especially this Cinema Show lead synth.

A Korg Oasys can sound good, so it's really a matter of programming. Maybe they didn't have the time to review and redefine everything because of Covid, so Tony had to reuse the programs he had back then.

That's All into LLDOB (Phil was pushing to give that a try, don't know if it stuck)

Have you noticed that in the new "The Last Domino" compilation, setlist provides TLLDOB right after That's all ?

I think this is a guess that compilation setlist will likely be very very close to concert setlist...

And so first medley will be Fading lights (first 2 verses + a little instrumental) - Cinema show - Afterglow, but more generally, rewriting cd setlist, mantaining its order, it is:

1. Duke's End - Turn It On Again
    2. Mama
    3. Land Of Confusion
    4. Home By The Sea (+ second home?)
    5. Fading Lights - Cinema show - Afterglow
    6. Hold On My Heart
    7. Jesus He Knows Me
    8. That's All - The lamb lies down on Broadway
    9. Acoustic: In Too Deep - Follow you follow me
    10. Duchess
    11. No Son Of Mine
    12. Firth Of Fifth - I know what I like
    13. Domino
    14. Throwing It All Away
    15. Tonight Tonight Tonight - Invisible touch
    16. I Can't Dance
    17. Dancing With The Moonlit Knight - Carpet crawlers
    18. Abacab ???
  • I’m having a hard time imaging Duchess (assuming it includes the extended ethereal drum machine/keys opening) as a stand alone song without the lead in from BTL. Also as much as I love Abacab I’m just not feeling it as the last encore on what may very well be their last tour. I have a much easier time seeing it as a set opener.

• One thing that disappoints me a little is the keyboards sounds. When Dave Kerzner revealed he had helped to set up Tony's rig, I was hoping Tony would get better sounds than in 2007 (I'm not an "old analog gear" fetishist, modern keyboards and computers are much more convenient and reliable, and can sound better).

From what I've heard, it sounds very much like 14 years ago, no so good, especially this Cinema Show lead synth.

A Korg Oasys can sound good, so it's really a matter of programming. Maybe they didn't have the time to review and redefine everything because of Covid, so Tony had to reuse the programs he had back then.

Tony Banks can probably do anything he desires regarding synth sounds...so one must assume that those are the sounds he wants. Dave has stated elsewhere that he's provided Tony with patches and samples which mimic the old analogue synths but it's up to Tony if he uses them.

I love analogue synths but fully understand a touring musician wanting something far more modern, reliable and updatable. But I don't know why he chooses sounds that are very different to the original in some cases. I agree that Cinema Show really sticks out. In recent interviews it's clear he still remembers how he got those sounds in the early 70s, and he still listens to the songs...so he must know they sound different the way he plays them now. Must be how he wants them to sound.

• Also a brief clip of Cinema Show. Given that Phil gave the full song a try during rehearsals last time but couldn’t hit the high notes I’m guessing we may be in for the usual ITC/Cinema Show/Afterglow medley, with some other bit folded in between CS and Afterglow. Also would seem to mean that Supper’s Ready didn’t make the final cut.

I thought Phil wanted to try it but Mike refused as he "can't remember" the guitar tuning for the opening section.

that's bee Mike's reason for not playing some early material since at least the Mama tour. No doubt some truth in it but I know at least two guitarists he could ask....if he wanted.

I don't think there's any evidence that they got as far as finding out if Phil could handle the whole song. Tony wanted it. Phil was up for trying. Mike was not. Mike won.