[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• I thought Phil wanted to try it but Mike refused as he "can't remember" the guitar tuning for the opening section.

that's bee Mike's reason for not playing some early material since at least the Mama tour. No doubt some truth in it but I know at least two guitarists he could ask....if he wanted.

I don't think there's any evidence that they got as far as finding out if Phil could handle the whole song. Tony wanted it. Phil was up for trying. Mike was not. Mike won.

I recall in the tour doc a scene where Phil tried (but failed) to hit the high notes near the beginning of the song, in particular the section “Can she be late for her Cinema Show?” Could be Mike wasn’t up for it as well.

• I recall in the tour doc a scene where Phil tried (but failed) to hit the high notes near the beginning of the song, in particular the section “Can she be late for her Cinema Show?” Could be Mike wasn’t up for it as well.

The tuning issue could have been easily figured out. And Phil actually could hit falsetto notes higher than the ones required for Cinema Show - he did so regularly in I Know What I Like at the end of the choruses:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

He hits C and B ("Your Show") above the A in Cinema Show. In the subsequent "Biddy bye..." he also regularly and cleanly hits the Bs.

• I thought Phil wanted to try it but Mike refused as he "can't remember" the guitar tuning for the opening section.

that's bee Mike's reason for not playing some early material since at least the Mama tour. No doubt some truth in it but I know at least two guitarists he could ask....if he wanted.

I don't think there's any evidence that they got as far as finding out if Phil could handle the whole song. Tony wanted it. Phil was up for trying. Mike was not. Mike won.

From high to low: e-e, b-b, g-e, d-a, g-g, d-d. Done. Now play it lol.

• Enjoyed the Documentary thanks to a fan on the Facebook group plan recording it

Sadly going down a key or 2 for some of the songs is inevitable as the years go by but they do sound well. Phils vocals are what they are and no doubt the ring rust will be gone by the start of the tour

Production looks amazing, roll on 21st September

Happy that 'Jesus He Knows' looks like it might be on the setlist. 'Follow Me Follow You' needs to be on it no matter what

• Official Post

The documentary has appeared on YouTube

warning - massive spoilers!

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The documentary has appeared on YouTube

I would advise everybody against watching this. Too many spoilers!! I stopped half way through. I don't mind seeing the stage set up and a few of the songs but felt it was getting too much. Better to wait 'til you have seen the show for real. Also Phil sounds like he has badly fitting false teeth. That cant be right? He must have implants, he is rich enough LOL. It will sound just great on the night but don't think I will be buying the inevitable DVD.

• The documentary has appeared on YouTube

I quite enjoyed it. Thanks! As for spoilers, in all honesty there weren’t many songs that surprised me, so not much spoilage there.

• Thanks for posting. Not too many songs were surprising, which might be the most disappointing part for me but it is what it is.... The stage show is amazing. I'm actually really saddened to see Phil's state. He sounds slightly neurologically impaired (his speech is slow and borderline slurred in spots). The other 2 guys have aged incredibly well. I wish him all the best. It'll be fun, regardless. Take care.

• Watched it today, and honestly, I walked away from it feeling depressed and unenthused about the upcoming shows.

God love him for wanting to give it a go, but Phil's in bad shape here. His voice is just completely gone; he does a decent job with "Mama," but all the key changes have robbed the songs of their lifeblood. In 2007 "Domino" and "Land of Confusion" still had some punch and intensity to them, here they sounded totally flat. And I agree Phil sounds like he had a stroke or something throughout, and his enunciation and diction are absolutely horrible on "Domino." The stage show looks incredible, and Tony and Mike seem to be in fighting form, but it all just seems like window dressing to cover for Phil. I love the man, but it's almost getting to Brian Wilson levels of "why the hell is someone letting him do this?"

With that said, if this was filmed in 2020, then maybe things have improved. Phil did look and sound sharper in that recent BBC interview where he mentioned he was getting over a cold.

• I watched the APT video this AM, and first, at the very least, it took the terrible taste of that awful Reelz "doc" out of my mouth. This was a nice little look at the tour, and how it came together. I'm glad to have been able to see it.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting out of this. Would it make me want to finally buy tickets for one of the Chicago shows, or make me even more okay with not having bought tickets yet? In the end, a little of both.

I really want to see that stage show! They usually put an amazing stage and lighting rig together, and they make it work with the songs incredibly well, and this looks pretty amazing. I would LOVE to see that.

On the other hand, I don't need to see this version of Phil sing those songs. As others have said above, he's just not sounding great. Maybe by the time of the actual shows, it'll be fine. But I'd rather the 2007 shows I saw be the last memory I have of seeing them live. And based on what we think the set list will mostly be comprised of, that's not much of a draw for me either. Who knows; maybe in a few weeks, when we know the actual set, there'll bee a few great surprises, but I'm not really counting on it.

I hope it's amazing. I hope that I hear such great things about it that I really regret not going, or that I hear it early enough that I do get tickets. I hope.

• Watched it, for better or worse. Yes, there are lots of spoilers - as there might be in the post below - but I don't mind.

Gah. I deleted a long post by accident. Don't even know how, I found some magical fuckulator button that deletes shit.

Anyway, the cliff notes are that I got the impression they're doing the full version of TTT, the band sounds great, the back up singers are a very nice addition, the visuals look mind-blowing, Phil's voice got stronger as the documentary went on, the lower scales is most prominent in Mama but I got used to it, maybe Misunderstanding will be included too, and Tony Smith seems ageless.

I'm more excited for the show after watching the doc than I was before.