[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• wouldn't know much about the Gabriel era and as far as I know is 'Carpet Crawlers' the only song from that era that may be on the setlist ?

Based on the documentary they are also likely to play the opening section of Dancing with the Moonlitknight and the instrumental section of Cinema Show. We can keep our fingers crossed there will be more surprises.

• Based on the documentary they are also likely to play the opening section of Dancing with the Moonlitknight and the instrumental section of Cinema Show. We can keep our fingers crossed there will be more surprises.

Here's hoping it will be an acoustic set

dancing with the moonlight King into FYFM

• Here's hoping it will be an acoustic set

dancing with the moonlight King into FYFM

I think it’s likely to be Moonlitknight into Carpet Crawlers. That’s what was played in the documentary. I’m confident FYFM will be part of the set. It’s a band and fan favorite and easy on Phil’s voice.

• At least we will knw in 8 days time

Well for those that want to know the setlist

I don't know if I will be able to attend a concert during this most probably last tour. It depends on how long the tour will be, i.e. if there will be more concerts in Europe and enough dates to keep ticket prices down a bit.

So, as soon as there is a full concert recording of decent quality available (on Youtube) I will watch it.

• wouldn't know much about the Gabriel era and as far as I know is 'Carpet Crawlers' the only song from that era that may be on the setlist ?

I Know What I Like and Firth of Fifth have been major staples and I'd be surprised if neither were included. And I still hold out hope of something left field. Watcher of the skies or something they haven't done in a very long time.

• One thing Genesis has always been good at is creating "flow" in their setlist (some bands are horrible at it) - though ending with Carpet Crawlers in '07 was a bit weird, despite their emotional attachment to the song. So expect a punch in the face as the opener and closer, whatever these might be. I also can't imagine that they won't include an older song in the encore to close that loop. The again, we'll all know soon! Take care.

I guess we will know in a week and a few hours

Does anyone know why they are emotionally attached to Carpet Crawlers? I've heard Phil and Tony mention it, but I've never known specifically why.

• I guess we will know in a week and a few hours

Does anyone know why they are emotionally attached to Carpet Crawlers? I've heard Phil and Tony mention it, but I've never known specifically why.

I think that it is one of the older songs that they all really like. I think that is part of the problem with them playing old material. I think it is hard for all three of them to agree on certain older songs. The ones that they do play, it seems that they all still feel strongly about. Most bands are critical about their past and Genesis is one of the most critical.

• I think that it is one of the older songs that they all really like. I think that is part of the problem with them playing old material. I think it is hard for all three of them to agree on certain older songs. The ones that they do play, it seems that they all still feel strongly about. Most bands are critical about their past and Genesis is one of the most critical.

That's a really good interpretation. I still find it odd. Once we reach a "certain age" (cough, cough), we all look back at things we said, did, etc., at different points in our lives. And while we might cringe in certain instances, the reality is that history is not revisionist, i.e., we acted in a way that was consistent with who we were at that point in our lives. That doesn't make it any less valuable and shouldn't be looked down at as who we are today is the cumulative sum of those experiences. That's way too off-topic lol.

• That's a really good interpretation. I still find it odd. Once we reach a "certain age" (cough, cough), we all look back at things we said, did, etc., at different points in our lives. And while we might cringe in certain instances, the reality is that history is not revisionist, i.e., we acted in a way that was consistent with who we were at that point in our lives. That doesn't make it any less valuable and shouldn't be looked down at as who we are today is the cumulative sum of those experiences. That's way too off-topic lol.

I think that's a really valuable lesson, yes. But there's a difference between recognizing the value of what was done in the past, and reliving what you've done in the past by hanging out with it every night.

I certainly know that my first marriage and subsequent divorce contributed to who I am today (and hopefully helped make me a better husband this second time around). But I have no interest in hanging out with my ex-wife. Similarly, I'm sure the band can see the way certain songs were really influential in their growth as artists and as a band. But that doesn't mean they have any desire to play some of those songs ever again. And I don't blame them for that.

• If I were Tony, Mike and Phil I wouldn't have allowed PBS to use recordings of any potentially surprising song choices. So I would like to think that there are one or two surprises left for us.

Did anyone get to the bottom of the Last Domino Compilation track list differences? Why are there two different ones? Which one is correct and why on earth would they release a compilation with the exact same setlist as the upcoming tour? I never heard of something so ridiculous. Also, if that is true, I hope that they don't do an edited version of Abacab. Could you imagine that song without the second part? That would be way worse than the Tonight X3 edited version. It seems as if the setlist speculation is/was tied exactly to this compilation. For example, what makes us think that Fading Lights will start an old medley? Is it because there is one shot of Phil singing with Mike next to him with the double neck? Is it because of this compilation? I'm really curious as to why this compilation is so tied to the running order and song selection. I might be wrong but I would never thought that the band would put out a compilation that would completely leak the setlist of a tour that is just about to start. Is the first version and accidental leak of the filmed rehearsal setlist and the second the compilation setlist? Anyway, here are the two versions again:

CD1

Duke's End
    Turn It On Again
    Mama
    Land Of Confusion
    Home By The Sea
    Second Home By The Sea
    Fading Lights
    The Cinema Show
    Afterglow
    Hold On My Heart
    Jesus He Knows Me
    That's All
    The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    In Too Deep

CD2

Follow You Follow Me
    Duchess
    No Son Of Mine
    Firth Of Fifth
    I Know What I Like
    Domino
    Throwing It All Away
    Tonight Tonight Tonight
    Invisible Touch
    I Can't Dance
    Dancing With The Moonlit Knight
    Carpet Crawlers
    Abacab
    (edit)

Disc 1

Turn It on Again
    Land of Confusion
    Home by the Sea
    That's All
    Throwing It All Away
    Follow You Follow Me
    No Son of Mine
    Hold on My Heart
    I Can't Dance
    Invisible Touch
    Afterglow
    Duchess
    Misunderstanding
    Jesus He Knows Me
    In Too Deep
    Domino
    (Pt. 1 & 2)

Disc 2
    Mama
    The Carpet Crawlers
    Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
    Firth of Fifth
    Abacab (Edit)
    Los Endos
    Fading Lights
    The Cinema Show
    Dancing with the Moonlit Knight
    The Musical Box

• Having now seen the documentary I can't be objective about it in any way. The buildup was very tense. By the time they got to Mama & I was wondering if Phil could pull it off I was practically in tears (of pride and mixed emotions, not sadness). Mama is supposed to be tense and uncertain, and that's how it was. I liked how Land Of Confusion was even darker than before, but I was less sure about That's All, a song I worship. The biggest surprise for me was that it will be the full version of Domino. By this point Phil was really into it. He will never be who he was, but he can still do it. For those who thought Mike & Tony won't do harmonies, Mike had a mic (!) and I thought the backing singers were fine. It was also weird hearing Nic talk in an American accent. I thought the sound & lighting looked superb. To those of you who are going, just enjoy it.

• I was thinking that the compilation is an easy way of selling some show tickets. Like saying ' hey remember us, we are back and if you come and see us, these are some of the songs you will hear'

D

Not sure they will play in this order and may still be a few surprises, but not sure why Los Endos only on the US version?

• I think that it is one of the older songs that they all really like. I think that is part of the problem with them playing old material. I think it is hard for all three of them to agree on certain older songs. The ones that they do play, it seems that they all still feel strongly about. Most bands are critical about their past and Genesis is one of the most critical.

I know their attitudes to some of the older material have changed too. Those of us who remember the VHS "Genesis - A History", Phil clearly states that he's not exactly proud of some stuff from their past...that he's more proud of Invisible Touch than the prog songs. These days he's more enthusiastic about the older prog material, especially Supper's Ready.

Mike seems to have gone off a lot of the older material and prefers the sheen and gloss of the 80s songs. If you watch the 2007 interviews that went with the remasters, Tony certainly rediscovered some moments in Trespass that he'd forgotten. Of all of them I get the impression it is Tony who actually listens to the old albums. But clearly Phil has done some listening recently, he gave an interview where he was talking about how Get 'Em Out By Friday is almost a funky drum groove. I am certain that was not in the rehearsal material. I am equally sure it wasn't on Phil's 90s or noughties play list.

Whether that all results in them actually playing something they haven't since the 70s or early 80s is still a bit of a mystery. Moonlit Knight looks certain to appear in some form, but while it was dropped from 83 to 07, it is still something of a favourite on other tours. Didn't they do a bit of it on the CAS tour too?

I actually reckon they won't do IKWIL and Firth of Fifth this time out. The selections from Selling England will be Moonlit Knight and Cinema Show. I really doubt they'd do four songs from that album.

• Whether that all results in them actually playing something they haven't since the 70s or early 80s is still a bit of a mystery. Moonlit Knight looks certain to appear in some form, but while it was dropped from 83 to 07, it is still something of a favourite on other tours. Didn't they do a bit of it on the CAS tour too?

Yep, they did the opening bit as part of the acoustic set. It was a nice moment in the concert, Ray had a good voice for it.

• I'm glad you said it AB, as I was thinking the exact same thing. Rutherford is the one who seems to have a pretty strong disdain of earlier material (ok, that might be strong wording) whereas Banks would play way more of it if he had the final say. I think Phil, as evidenced by his attendance of a Musical Box show (and playing one one song) several years ago has also come around to the earlier stuff. In fact (flame throwers coming my way), reading their body language in the BBC morning show interview, I got the distinct impression that Mike was the most gung-ho (by far) in doing this tour whereas Phil was not super enthused (understandably) and Tony was somewhere in the middle. Yes, this may be reading tea leaves but that's the impression I got.

• I think that's a really valuable lesson, yes. But there's a difference between recognizing the value of what was done in the past, and reliving what you've done in the past by hanging out with it every night.

I certainly know that my first marriage and subsequent divorce contributed to who I am today (and hopefully helped make me a better husband this second time around). But I have no interest in hanging out with my ex-wife. Similarly, I'm sure the band can see the way certain songs were really influential in their growth as artists and as a band. But that doesn't mean they have any desire to play some of those songs ever again. And I don't blame them for that.

That may be a strong analogy as I don't necessarily equate life's relationships with songs (and I am a diehard musician) but that being said, I would concede to your argument IF Genesis was still a viable recording entity. For example, in the early '80s, I understood why they were so focused on the new material at that point and perhaps didn't want to wallow in the Gabriel era stuff. However, this is a pure nostalgia tour, as was 2007, so there really are no barriers as to what they could play (they have no record to promote or sell and that model has been dead ever since downloads reared their ugly heads). Of course, they can play whatever they want but I suspect Rutherford has a pretty strong say in the setlist given his general aversion for early '70s stuff. Playing a song that's nearly 42 years old (Duke stuff) is not that far removed form playing one that's 46 years old (Trick stuff), for example. All fine, just my opinion.

• I can understand anyone no longer being proud of stuff they created in their early twenties, regardless of how others may think of it. And I would much rather see a performance of songs where every member of the band is fully enthusiastic and into the song. If they are performing songs where at least one of them is very lukewarm, it will probably show.

On another note, my predicted setlist:

In the Wilderness

Me and Virgil

Who Dunnit?

Harlequin

Illegal Alien

After the Ordeal

Since I Lost You

Small Talk

60s medley extended (without Turn It On Again)