[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• I have a very strong feeling that they are going to change the setlist slightly for the US leg. Given their talk about having Abacab 'in the wings', rehearsed and with a light production and everything to go with it, plus the fact that - as another poster pointed out and I can totally corroborate - it is still heard fairly regularly on the radio here. I think they will drop something for Abacab. For that reason, to the best of my ability, I'm actually going to avoid spoilers once the stateside leg commences. Fingers crossed 😃

"Abacab" was on at the grocery store the other day, which made me think of this.

As for something getting dropped, the only song I'd wanna see go is the cocktail lounge version of "Lamb." Be a shame if they lost "Duchess," which is the emotional high point of the show to my ears. They could also use it as the opener and drop "Behind the Lines," which opened the 2007 tour anyway. Then drop "Lamb" and put "Lover's Leap" in the acoustic section.

• "Abacab" was on at the grocery store the other day, which made me think of this.

As for something getting dropped, the only song I'd wanna see go is the cocktail lounge version of "Lamb." Be a shame if they lost "Duchess," which is the emotional high point of the show to my ears. They could also use it as the opener and drop "Behind the Lines," which opened the 2007 tour anyway. Then drop "Lamb" and put "Lover's Leap" in the acoustic section.

Yes, I'd be very happy with that. I really, really don't want to see Duchess go, and can't imagine they would. What did they swap out for That's All in the US on a prior tour? Mama maybe? I wouldn't like to see that go either, but there's little I'd be sad about missing if Abacab gets played.

My favorite "oh, there's Abacab playing" story (in the US) involved sitting outside a pub/restaurant with an acquaintance, hanging out because our daughters were on a play-date, and Abacab came on. He lit up, recalling it as a song that was big when he was in college, and it turned out he was a pretty big fan of the band! Needless to say we became more friends than acquaintances (chatting about Genesis over a couple of beers; powerful friend-making elements there!).

• Listened to three complete concerts now. The only bit I am unsure works is the new working of The Lamb. I know some like it, and I assume the band does, but I could dispense with it. From what both Tony and Nic say, I assume they tried adding the closing section of The Musical Box onto it but decided that didn't work.

The idea that something will be dropped in favour of Abacab seems likely for the upcoming US shows. I can't see them simply adding another 6-9 minutes to the show. That would seem unfair to the British audiences. Abacab was a major hit single here.

I wonder if it might take the place of TIOA? Does that get played stateside? It was not a significant hit there.

• Listened to three complete concerts now. The only bit I am unsure works is the new working of The Lamb. I know some like it, and I assume the band does, but I could dispense with it. From what both Tony and Nic say, I assume they tried adding the closing section of The Musical Box onto it but decided that didn't work.

The idea that something will be dropped in favour of Abacab seems likely for the upcoming US shows. I can't see them simply adding another 6-9 minutes to the show. That would seem unfair to the British audiences. Abacab was a major hit single here.

I wonder if it might take the place of TIOA? Does that get played stateside? It was not a significant hit there.

"TIOA" may not have charted high, like # 58 or something, but it's still played often on rock radio and has been on every U.S. tour since its inception. It's one of their most rousing, well received and energetic rock tracks. I don't see it getting dropped at all. I stand by my projection that if "Abacab" replaces anything, it's "Behind the Lines."

• Is there actually any evidence that the band rehearsed Abacab consistently before the tour but then decided to drop it from the set list? I know on this board there was a great deal of discussion about Abacab as a possibility, but were there interviews where the members of the band talked about rehearsing it? I remember Nic talking about rehearsing Apocalypse in 9/8 and if I recall correctly Watcher of the Skies. It’s entirely possible I’m simply forgetting interviews where Abacab was mentioned.

I know on this board there was a great deal of discussion about Abacab as a possibility, but were there interviews where the members of the band talked about rehearsing it

According to Tony Banks, it was planned until the last moment, like Jesus He Knows Me.

They even had visuals for for the giant screens.

They dropped it because of lack of time.

He also said that the tracklist for the Last Domino compilation was what they wanted to play for the tour, what was planned.

At first, they weren't so keen about releasing it, as they wanted to keep the setlist secret, but the management told them it was impossible to keep anything secret nowadays. The first note played at the first concert, someone would have filmed it, so everyone would have known the setlist 15 minutes later or less after the bow.

So they agree to release it, finally.

• Ive avoided this forum until I watched the concert..

Just watched them in liverpool

Wasnt sure how i was gonna feel about an acoustic section but it was a highlight, and i liked the lamb version 👌

Duchess was great to hear, although it sounded like something wasnt working.. Bass pedals maybe.

Generally the sound wasnt that well balanced but it didnt stop me loving every second.

Didnt dislike home by the sea but for me it is far behind many other songs i would have preferred (abacab, jesus he knows me, last spike)

Fading lights for me was pointless..

Im a keys player, so a fan of some of the banks solo stuff but going straight into firth of fifth solo, just to have that solo was really naff on the last tour and they did the same again. Also the sound is crap that he uses now.

There was a section of one of the solo songs that was an absolute mess going into another song... Cant remember which one but i couldnt tell what was going on.

Backing vocalists seemed to be a bit hesitant at times, like they wernt super fans and missed some of the harmonies 😏

Although phil probably thrown them too with his timing being out these days.

Amazing night. Phil was off at times but was sounding good at times too. Still got his sense of humour 👌 crowd just loved him

Got emotional at times and am extremely thankful they went for one more round 👊

his timing being out these days.

That's weird. He seems very slow at times, usually when he makes an effort (going high in pitch...).

But he always recovers quickly because he still knows when the beat is, of course.

Personally I would have dropped Home by the Sea/Second Home (the keys don't match, it always feels weird to me), Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (I never liked it being abridged), and Throwing It All Away (nice cute song, ok, but not the most interesting one, and Phil already played it for his Not Dead Yet Tour some years ago, in the very same way). That leaves 20 minutes or so to play something else... Another medley of older songs or even deeper cuts, I don't know.

• That's weird. He seems very slow at times, usually when he makes an effort (going high in pitch...).

But he always recovers quickly because he still knows when the beat is, of course.

He's struggling, I don't know if you saw his latest interviews but his speech is slurred, slightly impaired and that's just talking, singing must cost him enormously from a physical point of view.

• :D:D

I thought about it, but didn't dare to write it...

But look : HBTS > 12 mins, TTT > 3 mins 40 s, TIAA > 6 mins (with the "dila yeaheeyeah..."). Add it up, it makes 21 minutes, if you add the pause/chat between songs, well, supper would be ready...

• Given Phil's voice, the full "Supper's Ready" would have been a nightmare to rearrange and transpose and probably would've not sounded right. Phil singing "Apocalypse" three tones down with no power in his voice is something I can live without.

• the American setlist will differ but In a small way

Reckon 'Jesus' and 'Abacab' might be played instead of 'Duchess' and 'Afterglow'

I don’t know. Tony loves Duchess and I’d personally be heartbroken if it was replaced with Jesus He Knows Me. And I can’t see Abacab replacing Afterglow. How would that work as the end of the “Old” Medley?

• Saw them in Liverpool too.

Genesis my all time fave band.

So glad I got to see them again but too much of it made me a bit sad.

The stage show and lighting were both superb - but the energy Phil used to inject into the shows was sadly lacking.

Sadly, the setlist is so predictable now and has hardly changed since the last tour.

The 'audience participation' sections got going eventually but seemed strained and awkward initially.

Any old favourites generally have to make do with being part of a medley, just an opening verse or, in the case of The Lamb, a badly misjudged and slow, energyless version. Would it really kill them to play the full version of The Cinema Show? Even Duchess, that I was soooo looking forward too was slowed down too - like Afterglow I think it was?

I actually particularly liked Home/Second Home By The Sea - as I did most of the instrumental parts.

I think I have to accept I'm probably in the minority now of people going to a Genesis gig as the crowd just lapped up the likes of That's All and I Can't Dance.

As much as I love Carpet Crawlers, I still think there's no better end to a gig than Los Endos. Especially is preceded by Dance On A Volcano...

I don't think I've ever been to a Genesis gig where nobody has shouted out 'Supper's Ready!!...' - they certainly know what it means to fans. As much as I know the full version wasn't an option, 9/8 would have been great.

Thankfully we still have the incredible Steve Hackett keeping the flame going. The Seconds Out show, after every song, was just 'wow'.............